New receivers, where have all the pre-outs gone for separate amplifiers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

New receivers, where have all the pre-outs gone for separate amplifiers?

I was just curious what was out there, and I started looking, and have found that the combo receiver that gives you amplification choices, seems to have been eliminated by audio manufacturers. How's that for sucking a$$??? :M

I know you can get a pre-pro of course, but let's face it, how much does it cost them to produce a board that has pre-outs with a decent pre-amp section, and average internal amplification for guys that want to upgrade in stages? This is very disappointing for the audio industry. I hope they are reading. Because this idea completely SUCKS.

Admit, I have a Lexicon MC-12 out right now. I was considering a budget receiver with pre-outs for the interim, until I can pony up the funds to repair it. It's going to be 7-800 to repair. But if I have to spend 2K on a pre-pro, I'll just fix my Lexicon. I have been using a Classe 2 channel pre-amp and just running front left and right. I know, me a home theater guru not running HT in my main room. Well, I do still have it in my bedroom. But my great room has changed a lot, with musical instrument influence and space constraints. It's tough.

I just think it's very disappointing that they've taken this upgrade path away from consumers. VERY. I haven't checked, but I bet my Pioneer TSX-24 probably has pre-outs!!! That was a entry level receiver! Update, I checked, indeed it does have pre-outs for 5.1 channels.

We need to stand up in arms over this with manufacturers guys. This is a shitty move for the consumer!!!

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I was recently looking as well, largely for HDMI capability. They do still exist but while you used to be able to find models in the ~$600+ range...all I could find were units in the ~$1200+ range (~$900 for you Americans). That's still cheaper than most pre/pro's that are largely $1600+ but it's not cheap, that's for sure.

I was looking at the Marantz SR5010 (7.2 preouts) FWIW Doug:

Jason

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I'm afraid the industry has essentially concluded that most people neither want/need more than the built-in amplification in any AVR. I'd bet it's always been a small slice of consumers who've added external amps to their AVRs (I've never done it and, among the people I know who have an AVR--a small sub-section of my friends and family--I'd bet a month's salary they're not even aware it's possible to add an external amp). Hell, 90% of the people I know with an AVR run it with only 2 speakers anyway--so they're hardly over stressing their internal amps. Same applies to me (though I use a 5.1 setup in the cinema room, in the living room it's 2.0--running off a 6.1 AVR from 2004).

Life on the margins is tough.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Yeah, it would appear that as far as cheap options for pre-outs, my old Pioneer is my best choice, if I want to move it, or I wait and get my Lexicon fixed hopefully sooner rather than later. I was just really surprised. I didn't even see the unit Jason found. I was seeing like 2K units with pre-outs I think. Well, maybe not, I can't recall for sure. I just thought that was pretty crappy.

Well, we used to have a large contengent of members with pre-pros and separate amps. Of course, many of them did not choose a receiver to start out with, if they had one, they probably moved it to another room and started fresh. I guess that's the way of the world. They probably figure if you have HDMI, you have sound going to devices, and don't even need internal amplification half the time. Well, you know how it goes.

I honestly am not sure I'd go separates if I was doing it today, unless it was a separate pre-amp, like I am using now, and a receiver for HT. I hope I don't have to rebuy stuff, but one never knows.
        Doug

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
          I'm afraid the industry has essentially concluded that most people neither want/need more than the built-in amplification in any AVR. I'd bet it's always been a small slice of consumers who've added external amps to their AVRs (I've never done it and, among the people I know who have an AVR--a small sub-section of my friends and family--I'd bet a month's salary they're not even aware it's possible to add an external amp). Hell, 90% of the people I know with an AVR run it with only 2 speakers anyway--so they're hardly over stressing their internal amps. Same applies to me (though I use a 5.1 setup in the cinema room, in the living room it's 2.0--running off a 6.1 AVR from 2004).

Life on the margins is tough.
          Nicely summed up Ovation !! (...and true!)
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Lex
            YeI didn't even see the unit Jason found. I was seeing like 2K units with pre-outs I think.
            Were you researching in a B&M store? If so, there's your problem.
            Jason

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

I was actually searching online to see what was out there, and then picked up on this no pre-out on most receivers type thing. But to me, spending 2K is out of the question on a receiver, i will just have my mC-12 fixed. i was looking for a budget entry like my TX-24 Pioneer that had pre-outs. That's all... Not to many people that plan an upgrade path will start out spending 2K on a receiver, unless they plan to use it as a pre-pro from now on...

The marantz is a nice looking unit for sure, and likely well worth it's asking price. just not to me.

I think my Lexicon is worth upgrading for the sound quality alone, and forget Hdmi switching. Well, not completely forget, i do have 2 4 input and 2 output hdmi switchers.
              Doug

Comment

• P-Dub
                Office Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Yeah, I notice the same when taking a look around. My receiver is super old and discovered it won't decode some of the newer digital tracks off blurays. I'll probably find something reasonable that does all the decoding, but of course no pre-outs. Now I have to make sure I have some future proofing, HDMI 2.0 passthroughs, wifi, bluetooth, and whatever bells and whistles I want. I'd like to find one that does the autoroom correction, but it seams like most midrange receives will do this. Just have to decide which route and of course the budget.
                Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Yamaha RX-A850 at about 900$ has pre-outs. Not cheap but about half of the two grand mark being bandied about. Couple hundred more gets you an A1050. I have the A1000 and would not hesitate to get the 1050 as an upgrade if I were planning a move to Atmos/DTS:X. Just my 2 cents. I'd also consider Denon or Marantz in same price range.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

For anyone interested in this thread, I have a new Marantz AV7702 pre/pro (with pre-outs as is the topic of this thread) that I'll be selling shortly. Has all the new toys. You can PM me, and soon I'll be putting an ad in the Pawn Shop section here.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"