X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Aguilar
    • Jun 2001

Pioneer or Elite

I am finally getting ready to pull the trigger on a new TV. I have a friend who is a Pioneer rep and he is going to get me a 'deal' on a new tv.

Do you think that it would be worth the extra $1200 to go from the 643 to the Elite 720?

My friend said that there is not that much of a difference between the two. In fact, this years 643 is very close to the Elites. He said the only advantage to an elite is a different screen, finish (which I do not care about) and the extra room in the back that can be fitted with whatever comes to pass in the DVI area.

Thanks for your comments,

Jeff Aguilar
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sorry Jeff, I have no advice to offer. I have very little knowledge in that area. However, I have always enjoyed the picture produced by the Elites. Good luck with your decision.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• AndrewM
      • Oct 2000

It's actually a kind of difficult question, although what a problem to have, kind of like "would you like your million dollars in hundreds or twenty's?".

On one hand the Elites are pretty much universally accepted as being top dogs for RPTV's, you'll get the absolute best picture from it.

On the other hand the non-Elites this year (errr, well the 2001 models as well, the 643 included) are considered to be one of the best around as well. I remember seeing a post on some forum somewhere (maybe it was HTF or the Spot) that went through the differences between the Elites and non-elites. Some fairly minor (but maybe significant) differences, like the screens are different, some filters are different, etc. So I'm sure if they were sitting right next to each other I'm sure you could see a difference, but if they weren't sitting next to each other would you notice the difference between them?

I guess it also comes down to your financial situation, $1200 will buy you a nice DVD player to use with the new TV, or a hell of a lot of software to play on the new TV.

The one big plus on the Elite is the upgrade path they have available, that will make it easier to move to whatever new standard get's developed in the future. However Pioneer hasn't really promised anything yet in that regard.

Andrew

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hi Jeff,

Being a 610 owner, I'm kinda biased towards the Elites and would push you towards them, but this last crop of mid-level Pioneers has been getting very good reviews. If you've got the extra dinero, spring for the Elite, but if not, get the 643 and don't look back.

As far as the upgrade path, I've sent a letter to Pioneer asking for clarification. I haven't received a response yet. :?

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• AndrewM
          • Oct 2000

I saw a response to a similiar letter somewhere on the net, maybe it was on the Spot, maybe HTF (sorry, don't know for sure). But basically Pioneer gave the "safe" answer. Basically saying that their hands are tied because no standards have been set in stone so they can't implement any technologies yet, and that they will make every effort to support current/past customers in the future.

Andrew

Comment

• Jeff Aguilar
            • Jun 2001

Thanks for all of the input.

I actually got a price quote today from my friend and I have decided to go with the Pioneer. It will bring me about $1400 closer to the Outlaw pre/pro and amp.

One interesting side note. I noticed on the Pioneer web site that the warranty was two years parts and labor. When I asked my friend, he said it was only one year. I showed him on the Pioneer site and he made some phone calls right there to get someone to notice the problem. It should be changed very soon to 1 YEAR.

I should be able to order my new tv next week. I can't wait.

Jeff

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Jeff, one word of caution. Think this decision over real good. I have to say, Elite is worth EVERY penny over standard line Pioneer.

yes, HD is HD to a point. however, the cabinetry fit and finish, the Elite is just in a class by itself, IMO. I bought the Pro-119 some 5-6 years ago, after problems getting a decent Sony XBR. No regrets at all, even though it cost me an arm and a leg. lol.

I would go for the Elite. Go look at the sets if you can, it would be worth the wait on the Outlaw, IMO.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Jeff Aguilar
                • Jun 2001

Lex,

I still have at least a week before I make the jump. I will consider your recommendation.

The exterior finish is not that important to me because in my home I had the fireplace removed and put a cut out specifically designed for a big screen tv. All I will see is the front of the tv. All I am concerned about is the picture on the tv. From talking with my friend who sells Pioneer products to Costco the differences between the sets is not as great as they have been in the past. He said that the guns assemblies are identical. The biggest difference is the screen itself. As others have noted it does give a better picture viewed from different angles. I just need to decide if that is worth the extra money.

For the money, there is nothing that can touch this at under $3,000. That is what it will set me back.

Oh, the pain of making a decision. It has only taken me a good year to decide on what I really want. I would not have been able to even consider an elite if I did not know this guy. Curse him! :LOL:

Jeff

Comment

• Huskerduck
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2000

I would get a Mits or a Tosh and tweak the crap out of them, save all that money and spend it on all the other goodies like a progressive DVD/or HTPC and your Outlaw.

For the price of an Elite you could get a pretty decent FPTV and go really BIG

Your friend is correct, the Elite RPTV is a fancy cabinet

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
                  Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• Jeff Aguilar
                    • Jun 2001

Mark,

You sure have a nice home theater. The area where your tv is a lot like what we have. All of our equipment is in another room though. My wife really liked the lights behind your main speakers. Do you find that the light helps your eyes not fatigue during movies? We have not tried it yet, I was just curious if that helped?

Jeff

Comment

• Huskerduck
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2000

Hey Jeff,
                      Yes we like the lights alot, whether it helps with fatigue or not we really dont know ( The picture does this no justice, I need to figure out my F-Stop on my digital camera and get a better pic).

They are those low voltage Home Depot round lights with the lil "tapper switch" and they just sit on the floor and the wires go straight through the wall along with the speaker cable.

For scary or intense blockbusters we usually leave them off ( Stir of echoes, Joyride, Training Day)

Back to "Which RPTV to get" you may want to check and see whos guarentee is covering upgrades with the ever changing world of HD ( I guess some of these older sets like my Mits wont be able to process HD DVD, and I went with Mits because the have an upgrade guarentee, whether they will keep that promise or not is another story)

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
                      Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Jeff, makes sense. Perhaps the differences aren't as large. I like Elite, but that's my personal experience to draw on. Yes, you will be hiding a good bit of the TV, but still, the face is different. A matter of preference. For me, with my Piano black Sonus fabers, the Elite is the perfect match.

Truthfully, I don't see that muchof mine except the face either. Subs on one side, and piano black Elite equipment rack on the other. But it made for a nice package together.

Lex
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Jeff Aguilar
                          • Jun 2001

Lex,

I will post some pictures of it when it comes. I should be able to order it by the end of next week. We commission sales people can only buy the big products after a good commission. I hate it when the good commissions keep getting pushed back. Nothing ever seems to close on time when it comes to real estate.

The cloth front of the tv will match my SVS 16/46pcs very nicely!

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"