X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Ok, at the risk of...

Upsetting someone because their receiver gets bashed, please keep it clean, but-

I want to know what your least favorite BUDGET receiver is. (< $500.00) Let's give folks in the market ideas on what not to buy, be that new or used. This could be tough, because in general, receivers are fairly reliable. Of course, sound quality enters in and stuff, so it's still highly subjective.

I will start, my least favorite is Sony excluding the highest end. Why? I think it was brighter sounding than the Elite line. Ok, the Elite was a little more money, but the sound so much sweeter. But I do think you can get into the lowest line Elite for less than 500. I chose the 24TX instead of the 21 due to mosfet amplifiers, more power and such, Burr Brown DACs, etc... I think I paid like 700 locally for mine.

Also, I hate the Sony remotes of a year or so ago. Not sure if they have changed. But in general, I hate Sony, LOL. Long story, but many failures of their products have lead to a downfall in my trust I put in that name. Actualy not a receiver though. Of course, the Pioneer remote isn't exactly on my favorites list, but that "smart remote" from Sony, I didn't like at all. Why? Much more difficult to use Prontos and such with as well.

Lex
  • Robbie
    • Aug 2000

Kenwood is my favorite worst. Have had nothing but problems with their stuff. Sony is also there. Quirky operation and lacking sound. I think Pioneer is my favorite of the cheepies and the one I recommend to anyone asking.

Robbie

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

Interesting thread.

I don't think I'd buy ANY current receiver for less than $500. In fact, if a friend asked me for advice on a receiver for less than $500 I'd suggest he/she buy a used DPL model from the likes of Denon, HK, Yamaha, Marantz, etc.

Sub-$500 receivers are pretty much all equally bad, IMO. It really doesn't matter if its Sony, Pioneer, Technics, Kenwood or any other mass marketed name brand.

There are a few receivers right around the $500 range that I would recommend. The Outlaw 1050, H/K AVR500, Denon 2801, Marantz SR-4000, Sony STR-333ES, and whatever the equivelant Pioneer Elite model is. These models typically have better amplification and build quality rather than trying to wow the consumer with bells & whistles.

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bob Santos
        • Mar 2001

I havent done any receiver shopping in a while, but I remember when shopping for my first DD receiver I listened to the Kenwood VR-309.
        It was pretty damn bad. I think it sold for $289.99 a few years ago.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I bought an entry level Teac from Costco a few years back. The price was well under $500, like $279 or so. At the time I really didn't know what to look for. I knew it had DD and 100wpc x 5 so I thought that I was making the steal of the decade.

Well, it didn't last in my home more than two weeks. It was very harsh on highs, had little to no support for the lows and lack dynamics. Shockingly, midrange wasn't too bad!

What was scary and satisfying was, when I returned it, I told the guy over the Electronics dept. this was my findings...He smiled and said "Yes I know, no problem."

In all fairness to Teac, if I knew then what I know now about doing sound right, it may have faired a little better. However, I have had units since, that have performed well right out the box before any calibration.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Well, never having bought a reciever for myself in my whole life, but having bought quite a few recievers in the last five years for other folks, I'm going to swim upstream, and say that 90% of my purchases for recievers under $500 have been Sony, purchased at their Outlet stores, because then you get anywhere from 40 to 50% or more off list price. The fancy/schmancy sony remote is *not* intiutive for the average Joe to learn, but it incorporates a lot of control, without using a lot of buttons. Since I'm not a Pronto fan, no loss to me.
            Sonics depend on speakers; the speakers they've been matched up with have almost all been my own designs, which have used either SEAS, SCANSPEAK, or Focal tweeters, with SCANSPEAK and ETON mid/woofers; these boxes have been designed and voiced with Aragon gear, to have the most open , detailed, and smooth sound with a high end amp that doesn't pull punches or make any program material "euponic" that isn't- they're dang close to a straight wire with gain. Obviously, you lose something going to a Sony receiver, but the sound has been very respectable, considering the price. Heck, I even have one of their TAE9000 amps at home; it's a bit veiled in the mids compared with the Aragon, and somewhat dry in the top end, and not as powerfully controlled in the bass, but it's very listenable for a 5 channel amp that I only paid $800 for. And flexible, too, since it can run in bridged two channel, four channel, and five channel modes.

The other 10%, by the way, was Onkyo; their recievers are pretty decent sounding, and have some nice features for those into recievers.

I know, we're supposed to be picking on what you think is the crummiest brand. Well, you can figure that out for yourself; part of my first test is the "stuff is stuff" test' the ligher it is, the worse the audio quality when pused will be. There's no substitute for transformers, big caps, and heatsinks, and they all weigh in.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

hmm well I personally have never liked any yamaha receiver. I'm not a fan of DSP modes, shitty remotes, shrieking highs and ugly looks so that pretty much rules out all yamaha's (quickly puts on flame jacket!) I've owned one of Technics high end receivers (SA-AX6) and it was decent but ran hotter then my toaster. In fact I ended up having to use a fan on it all the time or it would trip the circuit protection. If I had to recomend a budget receiver I'd have to give the nod to Pioneer.

Comment

• P-Dub
                Office Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Shriking highs? What's that? Are you trying to spell shriek? If you don't like to hear in real life, go right a head, stick your head in the sand.

Ugly looks? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you've got one ugly mug to be talking.

DSP modes? They are there if you want to use them, and work pretty well.

Shitty remotes? Man, not everybody can afford a Pronto! Have you seen the Denon?

Uh, this won't jeapordize my membership will it?

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Lexman
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2000

Paul, you've just been Erased. Guess that answers the question, lol.

Lex

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

he he I knew someone would love that one Paul I totally agree Denon's remotes blow as well and looks are in the eye of the beholder... I'm not going to get into a discussion on yammie sound vs denon sound since again to each their own...who's to say who's right..or for that matter is there really a right or wrong?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

oh and paul fear not say what you want so long as we don't attack each other no one will get booted. Actually the point of the post was to get some life back into the guide ie spark some discussion so if that means heated discussion great

Comment

• MRWILLL
                        • Aug 2000

Great thread!! I'm looking for a receiver for my bedroom. I'm down to the Sony-ES/Elite/Denon.

STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
                        DVD...Hear it from the people who
                        mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".
                        STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
                        DVD...Hear it from the people who
                        mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".

Comment

• Lexman
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2000

Yup, sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omlet. We cannot always agree on everything. Just demonstrate controlled agression, lol.

But heated discussions can be like a bad train wreck, you just have to look. We want guys to look, and Andrew is right, the topic was intended to generate a little heat.

Will glad you like it. Nice to see you around.

Lex

Comment

• Bob Santos
                            • Mar 2001

I owned a Yamaha 795 for a little over a year.
                            I totally agree with almost everything in Andrews
                            post. Except for the ugly looks. I thought is was rather good looking.
                            At the time I bought it I had a Marantz RC2000, which was replaced by a Pronto, so the remote wasn't a issue. Never used the DSP modes at all.
                            It did a great job for the time I had it. Once I coupled it with my Definitive speakers things started to go down hill. A bright receiver mated with bright speakers is not the greatest combo.
                            When I bought the speakers I knew I was going to be replacing the receiver soon though. I lived with it for a few months together.

Comment

• Crimson
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Hmm....any low end product made by Matsu-shit-a.

Q.
                              Q.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"