X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charl
    • Apr 2004

NAD T163 vs Rotel RSP-1066

I'm new here - spent all day reading hundreds of posts. Info, advice and opinions are most intresting - thank you!

I'm contemplating my next upgrade but can't find any reviews on the NAD T163 pre/pro. Any help?
    How would this compete with the Rotel RSP-1066? Will be partnering with a Rotel RMB-1075.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Why not consider a Rotel 1056 instead or the newer Rotel pre amp?

Comment

• Charl
      • Apr 2004

OK, here goes ...
      My current 5.1 setup is as follows: NAD T752 receiver, C272 power amp, C521i cd, Sony NS305 dvd, B&W 603S3 + 600 + LCR60 speakers, Rel Q150e mkII sub and all QED Ref. cabling.
      This is used 70% for movies and TV, 20% music and 10% PS2. Room size is 5m (15ft) x 7m (21ft).

I want to sell off the old gear and upgrade to Rotel as the budget allows. T752 went yesterday, so I need to do something fast.
      I can get good deals (30-40 % off) on the 'old' 1055 receiver or 1066 pre, but am concerned that neither have front AV inputs for the PS2, which is strange? Can't imagine having to pull the unit out the rack to connect every time I want to play a game!
      The other issue is that I would have to buy a seperate tuner for the 1066.
      I'm considering the NAD T163 because it has front inputs and a tuner.

Right now my budget allows one of these 5.1 combos:
      a) T163 pre + 1075 amp + 1040 dvd + 521i cd
      a) 1055 avr + 1070 amp (or keep C272) + 1040 dvd + 521i cd
      c) 1066 pre + 1075 amp + N305 dvd + 521i

Help please! :?

1) If I kept the C272 for the fronts (pre out), would there be a 'tonal' difference compared with the center and rears running off the 1055?
      2) How would the CD play of a 1040 dvd measure up to my current dedicated NAD player?

Next $600 upgrade or addition only in 6 months.

Dazed and confused..... Any ideas?

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Charl!

Sounds like the stress is kickin` in!

Buddy the 1055 DOES have audio AND video ins for PS2 ...and has a tuner....however I would up to the 1056...it is sweet...er!

Keep the 272...that is 2 * 150watts (130 watts if it is last years model!)

Anyways just my 2 cents!

Bam!
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Charl
          • Apr 2004

Sure is Bam! Without the HT I've only just noticed that I actually have a wife also. Wow.

Problem is, I believe the PS2 inputs are on the back of the 1055/6 receiver, and I have all equipment built into a wall unit thus I would have to pull out the receiver every time to connect the PS2. So when I get back from hospital with a broken back, I would also have to check that I didn't disconnect any other cables in the process by mistake.

Ja, the C272 is 2x150 and it sounds pretty sweeeeet. Would be a shame to lose it after only 2 months.

Thanks for your 2 cents. By the way, I checked the MSRP's on the Rotel USA site and can't believe how cheap things are over there in the US. Over here in South Africa the list prices are as follows: RSX-1056 - $2500, RMB-1075 - $2000, RDV-1040 - $830 (at current rate of exchange) You guys have it good!

Comment

• Charl
            • Apr 2004

Update: I've ordered the NAD T163 and a Rotel RMB-1075 and can't wait to receive them on Monday! I will post a review and comparison to the old T752 soon.

Comment

• Bam!
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2004

:t :T :T :T
              Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Juan Cortez
                • May 2003

Congrats on the purchase.

On the Perfect Vision May/June issue has a review on the T163 and T793 if you want to look at it.
                Jason

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

:banana:

I love NAD gear!!
                  Way to go!! :yesnod:
                  Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Menasce
                    • Apr 2004

Hi Charl,

I'm having the same quandry that you had. I've done the in-store demos of the T163 and the RSP-1068. Both sound great to me and are within a couple of hundred dollars of each other - in other words I'm firmly on the fence (very uncomfortable 8O ).

Any comments on your T163 - such as why I might want to go that route instead of the Rotel? I'm probably going to make my purchase within the next four to six weeks so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
                    Last edited by Menasce; 20 May 2004, 23:24 Thursday.
                    best regards...
                    Peter

Comment

• Charl
                      • Apr 2004

NAD T163 first impressions

Hi Peter,
                      What where your thoughts after the in-store demos?

I only connected up the new equipment for the first time last night, so I'm still reserving judgement on sound, operation and quality 'till I've spent more time with it and given it a chance to settle in.

I can offer first impressions though:

LOOK
                      The Rotel pre/pro looks more classy (in silver of course), compared with the NAD, IMHO. That said, the NAD has their trademark classic understated grey 'military' type look, which is also pretty cool.
                      The unit fills the rack nicely and looks like it means business.
                      The display is clear enough to read easily from 15ft away.

BUILD QUALITY
                      Fairly solid casing, not too heavy. Connectors and buttons seem to be good quality.

SETUP
                      The T163 was very easy to hook up, and caters for a huge array of inputs (incl. 7.1 analogue) and outputs (incl. 2 x subs). It has inputs for almost everything under the sun, and if you kept it long enough I'm sure you could hook it up to your ventilator or heart machine when you're 90
                      Everything is clearly laid out and the manual is easy to understand and looks like it covers everything.
                      OSD is clear, precise and functional, and again covers most basic and advanced operations.

FUNCTIONALITY
                      I haven't had enough time to play with it properly, but it seems to be able to do pretty much everything. I think it can also mow the lawn, if you add a certain upgrade?:W It's the first time I've used the 12V trigger, and it works a treat. In fact it has 4 x 12v triggers (3 out, 1 in), so again, you can have it power up the jacuzzi when your coffee machine comes on. Or something like that :lol:

REMOTE
                      Everybody loves whinging about crappy OEM remotes, seems they are a universal problem. There's not a lot being said about the NAD HTR-2 remote, which is a good sign. I've used this remote for almost 18 months with my previous T752, and can honestly say it's a fine piece of equipment. Sure it's not perfect (funny shaped buttons, mysterious THX button, looks,etc.) but it works pretty damn good, like it's supposed to. You need to spend some time 'teaching' it codes of all your other remotes, but once that's done you can pack all the others away. It really does work all your equipment, and is fairly easy to understand.
                      It is also damn rugged, and I can confirm that it is able to withstand numerous drops on the hard tile floor, and a severe mauling by a Labrador puppy. It works everytime, all the time, without any quirks or hickups.
                      But do stock up on a good supply of spare batteries though, mine only last about 4 months.

SOUND
                      This is obviously the most important, so I will need more time with it before I can give a proper objective view.

CONS
                      - Looks. Let's get rid of those 'rounded' details on the face please.
                      - Tacky cover for front A/V inputs could be better designed.
                      - How about a more modern look to that trusty ol' hunk of a remote? Perhaps a bullet-proof LCD screen?

PROS
                      + Has similar, and in some respects better, specifications than the Rotel - at least on paper.
                      + Will have DPLIIx standard from June, while earlier models can be upgraded.
                      + Good remote
                      + Built-in tuner
                      + Extra set of A/V imputs on front of machine (for PS2, etc.)
                      + Sound?

Man, it's great to get new equipment! :T I can't wait to put it through its paces. Hope to have more info soon.

Comment

• Menasce
                        • Apr 2004

Hi Charl,

The store demos were fun and sounded great, but not realistic. More precisely, the NAD demo was done in the store's super high-end demo room with some really wild speakers - sorry, can't remember the brand - and NAD's matching 7-channel amp. Bottom line: the NAD sounds wonderful in their setting but who only knows what would happen in my living room with my amps (Rotel and AMC) and Paradigm speakers. I tried out the Rotel at another store (which sells Paradigm) later that day, but the delay between the two sessions was such that the 1068/1075/paradigm combo sounded just as good - hence my dilemma

I'm actually leaning to the Rotel for a couple of reasons:

1. 5 year warrantee
                        2. I've had their RMB-1075 power amp for about six months and love it.
                        3. I like the Rotel's front panel controls better (easier to teach my wife too :W ).
                        4. Remote control is not an issue with either unit because I'll be adding a Pronto or Harmony remote after the budget recovers.

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions of the NAD's sound and performance.

Thanks again and congrats on your new toy! This is what makes the hobby such fun :T
                        best regards...
                        Peter

Comment

• Charl
                          • Apr 2004

Peter, thought I'd add a few comments in case you haven't made your purchase yet.......
                          I have a problem with my new T163: humming, popping and 'whistling' which has (according to the local importer) been identified and addressed by NAD.
                          I believe there are 3 versions / releases of the T163, with the latest (4th) in production right now. This version will also have DPLIIx, so might be worth the wait if you were going for the NAD.
                          However, if I knew this before I would've gone with the Rotel for reliability reasons. This is based purely on my own rather unfortunate experience and of course I'm sure there are good T163's out there - I'd just love to try one!

Will post a proper review once I've received and 'broken in' the new (hopefully working) unit.

Comment

• Menasce
                            • Apr 2004

Charl,

Thanks for the heads up on the Q/C issue with the NAD - too bad your unit turned out to be a lemon.

In my case, I've settled on the Rotel and will place my order before the end of the month.

Thanks for all the input and I hope you have success with your replacement unit.
                            best regards...
                            Peter

Comment

• ti33er
                              • Apr 2004

LOL, just my 2c ...I live in the UK, and ALL of the NAD AV gear that I have owned in the past has presented me with heat/ground loop problems = hum/fizz...I even got a nasty pop from merely touching the fascia once, that made my GF bail over the back of the couch, and shaved 10 years off my life! :B

...don't get me wrong, I still love that warm, natural NAD sound, but personally I always seemed to have problems with NAD gear which drove me insane (I mean sleepless nights, dreaming about this damn expensive gear, trying to figure out what the hell I was doing wrong!!!) - all of my friends cheap "cinema in a box" units worked like dreams which made me spit blood, so I figured NAD was not all they are cracked up to be, and spent more money moving to ROTEL.

With Rotel I never had any of the previous NAD issues (except that ROTEL 1060 DVD unit which had PSU problems causing interference lines on the screen), but suffice to say didn't like the sound in the end, so now I am back to SQ 1! ARGH!! --> now I am looking to PARASOUND...but have to save up a little before I take the blind leap of faith, because a Projector is next on the priority list! :twisted:
                              "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"