X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingo102
    • Nov 2004

Calling al Rotel and NAD gurus - power amp

Hey guys,

I've been researching power amps for my 2 channel stereo setup. My problem is that here in Australia, it is very hard to audition these amps where I'm based now, so will need to rely more upon reviews/opinions as such to base my decision. Anyway, I have managed to narrow my choices down to basically 3 amps. These being (in no order of preference):

1. NAD C272 (roughly $AUD 900)
    2. Rotel RB-1070 ($AUD 700)
    3. Rotel RB-1080 ($AUD 1200)

I should probably state first here that my budget was initially ~$1000AUD ($1AUD = $0.75USD). Also my music tastes are very much towards modern style, energetic music (ie. hip hop, rock, a little rap, pop, and even reggae). Never really listen to classical tunes... In other words my preferences in sound would be:

1. punchy
    2. detailed
    3. realistic (i'm not sure of the proper term for this but "live band" would probably describe it best)

The current speakers I am using are some restored KEF Concertos with excellent bass and fairly neutral mid>highs. Although these will probably be replaced soon so is of little influence really.

Given these criteria, what are people's thoughts/opinions on these candidates?? Also is anyone aware of any design faults/quibbles with these guys?

For example I've heard (with much dispute) that the NAD C272 suffers from poor bass response - maybe due to the same reason the C352 lacked bass initially as some may have heard.

On the other hand I've heard that the Rotels can be too bright...

As a freshman to this game, the opinions of people on this forum are highly appreciated. If I haven't provided enough information let me know also.

Cheers,
    Dave
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Kingo102,

You have some good candidates - I'm sure you will like one of them.

I'd describe the NAD C272 as a warm, rythmic and driving amplifier - well worth hearing. Has a sweet valve like sound (a NAD characteristic).

Equally the Rotel RB-1080 is a powerful, detailed and musical amplifer, also slighty in the bright side. Very clear and details while still slighly in the warm side of neutral.

I wouldn't get the 1070 - it is a good amp but not likely to have the punch that you need...

Personally I ended up with the RB-1080 for the extra transparency it offers, but it is a very personal choice between these - you really should listen...

For my ears I would describe the Rotel RB-1080 as meeting your "Punchy, Detailed and Realistic" criteria - but everyone's ears aare different and there are so many other sound characteristics at play - FOr example we have members who passionatley believe that the Rotel amps "have rolled off treble" and others that equally believe that they a re "too bright"...

So make a trek if you can to hear them...

Geoff

Comment

• NMG
      • Oct 2004

I haven't heard the NAD, but I do have an RB-1080 paired to my Paradigm Reference Studio 80's. I listen to allot of rap, hip hop and other sources with lots of punchy bass and low end.

The 1080 does a great job of controlling my speakers and yes it has lots of punch. I've heard that NAD in general is a little warmer sounding and that the bass may be a little more emphasized, but like I said, I haven't heard that particular amp.

My 1080 sounds very natural to me. The highs have nice extension, I don't find it bright at all. The mids are natural and like I said, the low end is nice and controlled without sounded bloated or anything like that. I find it very well balanced not the mention the fact that it has lots of jam The word effortless comes to mind when playing at high levels.

Comment

• kingo102
        • Nov 2004

Thanks guys,

I think I can at least safely narrow it down to the 272 and the 1080 now... Will probably tend toward the 1080 due to it's increased power - but like you said an audition will be necessary. By the way, I have read problems with the fuses blowing on the 1080, and the subsequent fuse/cap modifications. Have these fixed the problem???

Appreciate your help guys.. Is much more valuable than the advice given by a salesman hunting a quick sale.

cheers,
        Dave

Comment

• NMG
          • Oct 2004

I haven't blown a fuse in over 3 years of use, although I DON'T use the 12 trigger either. I just use the old fashioned power button

Some people have reported that it may be an issue with certain speaker cables.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"