X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmwesq
    • Jan 2014

Home Theater Setup

Hello - looking for some help. I finally after many years have gotten around to trying to rewire my system so I am getting full use of my receiver and getting sound out of my TV through my surround system in full. I have my TV working, but now my Bluray player will give me either audio or video, but not both. I will detail my existing setup and hope someone can spot what is wrong.

Equipment:
    Receiver - Sony STRDG800; Bluray Sony BDP-S590/BX59; TV Sony Bravia KDL-46EX621, Cable-box FIOS Motorola QIP7232-2

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2014-01-05 22.27.18.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	871284Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2014-01-05 22.27.46.png
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	871285Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2014-01-05 22.28.36.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	871286

From Cable box I have HDMI to TV/SAT in on receiver

From Bluray I have HDMI to DVD In on receiver; and optical digital to Video 1 on receiver

From receiver I have HDMI Monitor Out to HDMI1 on TV; and optical digital audio to Optical In on TV.

So set to TV/SAT on receiver I have audio and video from Cable

When I switch to DVD, I get video from Bluray with no audio; if I switch to Video1 on receiver I get Bluray audio but no video.
  • cyisone01
    • Feb 2012

Try to run it without the optical using just the hdmi and see what happens.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Looks like that receiver only has HDMI pass-through. No audio can be decoded from the signal.

You need to go into the receiver setup menu and change AUDIO,5 AUDIO SET, DIGITAL ASSIGN: VIDEO 1-VIDEO 1 to VIDEO 1-DVD.

Alternatively you can hook up a coaxial cable from the BDP to the DVD coaxial input of the receiver, this would work without changing any settings.

Kevin D.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Kevin is right. If you have a receiver that only has HDMI video pass through only, it will not decode audio. You will need to send both video signals from both your cable box AND your BD player directly to the TV via their HDMI outputs. Then, BOTH audio signals will go to the receiver via optical cables. Not a huge problem providing your TV has 2 HDMI inputs.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Actually Dan you misinterpreted what Kevin said. It can't do any decoding, it can still accept audio over HDMI but it has to be in PCM format generally which is what he was talking about changing the audio output type in the device for.

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

This is very similar to my setup. I think this is already what Kevin said, but use the analog outputs (8 coax cables) of the BD player and run them to the "MULTI CH IN" on the receiver. You'll have to set the receiver to use that input as well, but it works great and prolongs the life of your receiver since the BD player is doing all the decoding!
            -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Well you could do the analog outputs sure, but you can also set it up for PCM over HDMI which I think is what Kevin was referring to.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Actually according to the manual, it will not do any audio over HDMI. You have to assign a digital to input to a corresponding HDMI, or assign the HDMI to a corresponding digital input. He will need a digital cable paired with the HDMI.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Wow, never seen a receiver that couldn't do any audio over hdmi.

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Oh ok just looked and it has an internal hdmi switch basically. so yeah no audio.

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

Exactly!!. My Rotel receiver will not do any audio over HDMI. It's a video pass through only which is great if you do not have enough HDMI inputs on your TV to cover all your equipment. However, If your TV has enough HDMI inputs on it for all your video equipment, do yourself a favor and just connect the units directly to the TV via HDMI for video (Cleaner that way) and use optical or digital coax cables to the receiver for audio.
                      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
                        Actually according to the manual, it will not do any audio over HDMI. You have to assign a digital to input to a corresponding HDMI, or assign the HDMI to a corresponding digital input. He will need a digital cable paired with the HDMI.

Kevin D.
                        I wouldn't recommend using a digital cable for audio in this case. I didn't check the specs on the bluray player but I'd assume it decodes the BD audio formats. If he uses the analog outputs he'll have those formats. If he uses PCM he'll have DD 5.1 at best. Just a thought.
                        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by madmac
                          Exactly!!. My Rotel receiver will not do any audio over HDMI. It's a video pass through only which is great if you do not have enough HDMI inputs on your TV to cover all your equipment. However, If your TV has enough HDMI inputs on it for all your video equipment, do yourself a favor and just connect the units directly to the TV via HDMI for video (Cleaner that way) and use optical or digital coax cables to the receiver for audio.
                          Well HDMI passthrough means it will pass through the video but still use the audio channel, which is why I got confused by what you were saying. His unit and your Rotel has a built in HDMI switch which works just like external HDMI switches.

Comment

• Blindamood
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Hdale85
                            Wow, never seen a receiver that couldn't do any audio over hdmi.
                            The HDMI standard is constantly evolving, so this is not so unusual. The Rotel RSP-1069 is a good example of this...supports HDMI v1.1, which switches video only.

RSP-1069 Manual
                            Brad

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Unfortunately, the pic he posted is a generic bluray. The 590 does not have multi-channel outputs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• impala454
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2007

Ah, bummer. Go Oppo!
                                -Chuck

Comment

• dmwesq
                                  • Jan 2014

Thanks for the various replies. I have to admit some of it went right over my head when you started using acronyms that I am not familiar with. As to the images I used, I took them from the manuals of the device themselves - so if the manual uses generic diagrams then my apologies. I did have a digital optical cable and that seems to be working. I'm sure the various other suggested hookups would work as well, but for my purposes everything is now working and when I use the TV I now have the surround working which for years I didn't, and I didn't have to spend any extra money on upgraded equipment, so I am content. Thanks again.

Comment

• Blindamood
                                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by dmwesq
                                    ...but for my purposes everything is now working and when I use the TV I now have the surround working which for years I didn't, and I didn't have to spend any extra money on upgraded equipment, so I am content. Thanks again.
                                    And that is really all that matters, now isn't it? 8)
                                    Brad

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"