X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rlcramer
    • Dec 2005

Separating Audio from an HDMI Device

I am about to purchase an Outlaw Audio Receiver that does DVI switching. My thought is that if I get an upconverting DVD player and use an HDMI to DVI cable to get the video signal from the DVD player to the receiver, and use an optical cable to get the audio from the DVD player to the receiver. Does anyone know if this will work? The reason I ask, is that I'm not sure if using the HDMI output on the DVD player will defeat all of the other audio outputs, since the DVD player will likely assume that the HDMI cable will be carrying audio as well as video. If I can't bring audio out of the player separately over optical or coaxial, I'm pretty much out-of-luck with the outlaw. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bobby
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I haven't ran across a player yet that disables the digital outputs when using HDMI. Your plan will work fine.

Kevin D.

Comment

• CPALIU
      • Jun 2006

My rotel actually requires the use of an opticla cable to pass the audio when I use an HDMI for the video.

Comment

• rlcramer
        • Dec 2005

Excellent, thanks guys. Any recommendations for a good upconverting DVD player to hold me over until the BR vs HD-DVD war is over?

Comment

• CPALIU
          • Jun 2006

I'm using the Sony something something 75 something. about $130. DOes a fairly good job and its got a nice thin profile.

Comment

• earwit
            • Jun 2006

My understanding is that when a DVD player is playing and outputing a signal it is
            always outputing multiple sources at the same time. If your DVD player is hooked up
            to Hdmi, Digital, and 5.1 analog, you could switch your pre-amp / receiver from
            the 3 sources mentioned and get audio from all of them
            Last edited by earwit; 21 June 2006, 10:37 Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"