X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • topcat112
    • Aug 2013

Looking for Outdoor Projection Specifications

I am looking for a projector that I can setup and play DVDs off the side of my RV at night. Obviously I am not looking for the best of quality for these temporary setups, just looking for something we can project off the RV and drink a few brews around. Can someone help me to know the specs I would be looking for the experience?

Thanks in advance.

topcat112
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Not a bad idea. Obviously, you're going to deal with issues like making sure it's not ruined by weather, doesn't overheat if you're in Arizona or something, and long enough power and video cables. Generally, the specs won't matter too much for that kind of application. Two biggest things I can think of are (1) consider what you're projecting on. Either your RV surface will have to be 100% solid white, or you'll need to use a sort of temporary screen. And (2) because of this, the presumable size you're projecting, and the projection environment, the brighter the projector is, the better. There's no min specs I would specify.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• topcat112
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Chris D
      Not a bad idea. Obviously, you're going to deal with issues like making sure it's not ruined by weather, doesn't overheat if you're in Arizona or something, and long enough power and video cables. Generally, the specs won't matter too much for that kind of application. Two biggest things I can think of are (1) consider what you're projecting on. Either your RV surface will have to be 100% solid white, or you'll need to use a sort of temporary screen. And (2) because of this, the presumable size you're projecting, and the projection environment, the brighter the projector is, the better. There's no min specs I would specify.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread.
      Well this thread may get a few laughs before we are done. We are a bunch of red necks so trying to get this done without spending a lot of money. I thought about the screen and was planning on stretching an off white bed sheet tied down with bungee cords. DVD players are really cheap and can pick one up online for less than 50 bucks. I have a few sets of left over speakers form old home computers that I planned using in the beginning. If all works then a low cost surround sound hung off the side of the RV will be in our future. I have dish network at home and plan on bringing my hopper and portable dish so will buy a 25 foot HDMI cable so I can run most of the equipment from inside of the camper for protection from the elements.
      I think the main question I have is the lamp specs. Not looking for a drive in theater just a 5 foot or so picture. Power is not an issue as we have plugs on the outside of the RV.

Thoughts,
      Topcat112

Comment

• topcat112
        • Aug 2013

I was looking this morning and found this projector.
        Dell 2400MP XGA (1024 x 768) DLP projector - 3000 lumens for 78 dollars
        Does not appear to have HDMI so I may have to use 25 foot AV cables.

Thoughts,

Topcaat112

Comment

• topcat112
          • Aug 2013

One correction after reading Chris' post is to use a solid white sheet. Was a little early this morning.

Thanks Chris for your post.

Topcat112

Comment

• topcat112
            • Aug 2013

Does anyone see an issue with the above projector model for this application? I would look for a much better one if it was going in my house. I am just looking to play a few DVDs.

topcat112

Comment

• topcat112
              • Aug 2013

I have another option that looks interesting.
              Optoma Home Theater Series HD81-LV 1920 x 1080 DLP projector - 2500 lumens
              Sorry for so many posts but wanted get some advice from someone with experience in this area.

Thoughts?

Topcat112

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Originally posted by topcat112
                Well this thread may get a few laughs before we are done. We are a bunch of red necks so trying to get this done without spending a lot of money. I thought about the screen and was planning on stretching an off white bed sheet tied down with bungee cords.
                Yup, that's just the kind of thing I was thinking of for a "temporary screen". If you're just wanting something cheap and fun, then go for it! Doesn't have to be super fancy just to watch some fun flicks. For a lower-end application like this, then, I really don't think the projector matters too much. Again, just as bright as possible. Because brightness specs vary from one model to another, I can't tell you to get something with at least ___ Lumens or anything. But if you read reviews, and hopefully can even try it out for yourself, just get something bright.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

I have a 4:3 screen that I would sell reasonable. What you could do is assemble the rails, then hang the whole thing on the side of the RV, could work pretty well for you! Shipping might be a drag, but I'll sell you the screen at a good price. I also have a pull down screen that I would sell you, possibly. I honestly believe the fixed form 4:3 screen would work out better for you though. I have a pull out screen as well, a little smaller I could sell as well. I'm the screen guy I guess... LOL.

Let me know if the screen interests you. Would be much better than a bed sheet. I have a new 16:9 screen at home, so I don't need the 4:3 screen now really.

Doug
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• topcat112
                    • Aug 2013

I am a tinkerer and like to build things. I want to try the sheet backed with PVC pipe. I build chairs and tables with PVC but this projection screen will be a first for me.

If this fails then I will need a screen. The projector I ordered is a 16x9. I picked one up for $65 shipped to my house and estimated 400 hours left on the bulb. I estimate I will have $85 dollars in the entire riggin for the Labor day camping trip. I see a case or two of brews in my future on that trip. That ought to put the cost just over $100. Yea boy that is redneck camping.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"