X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nthydro
    • Oct 2012

Need help with first time setup

I'm new to home theater and this is going to be my first setup so I really don't know what I'm doing. After researching how to distribute HDMI sources to multiple zones I find myself pretty overwhelmed. Seems like splitting HDMI is a real headache with all the EDID, HDCP, ect.

What I'm basically trying to do is get my 6 HDMI sources to independently and simultaneously display on different zones (projector + 3 TVs). For example, I want to game on the projector and watch cable on one of the TVs at the same time. From what I gather, I can accomplish this with a 8x4 hdmi matrix but that's way out of my budget. Plus I would probably have issues with the lowest common denominator since I'm going to run 3D on the projector but the TVs are not 3D compatible. And I'll have audio issues with the projector running 5.1 audio and the TVs running 2.1. So I came up with the setup as illustrated below which I'm hoping will solve the common denominator problem. I figure if I add a 1x2 splitter right after each source the projector will get 3D and 5.1 audio without getting down converted by the TVs. I don't know if this setup would work or if there's a more efficient way of doing this without getting a matrix switch. Hopefully you guys can chime in and help me out. Thank you.

• Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hey, welcome to the Guide! Actually, it seems you're grasping the idea there. The first thing I thought of, when I saw your diagram and before I read your text, was, "that guy needs a HDMI matrix switch". But you've also hit on the exact rub--they can get rather expensive, especially as they grow in size of zones and sources. However, a few points:

- I actually don't think the "lowest common denominator" will necessarily be an issue for a matrix switcher nowadays. Yes, given your equipment, you'll have to have everything output in 720p to watch things simultaneously on multiple displays. Or, if you're only going to watch on your single 1080p display, then you can do 1080p. But on the video side, you shouldn't have any problems. Shouldn't be any on the audio side, either. If the HDMI recipients are capable of receiving and decoding/using the HDMI audio stream, then it won't matter whether they receive 2.0, 7.1, or whatever. Each recipient equipment piece will take that stream and then use/output it in whatever format it needs to. I'll also just point out, that **IF** you did run into mix-and-match "least common denominator" issues with a matrix, you would NOT solve it by your workaround above.

- Along with that, I think you'll find that most current HDMI matrix models are able to work with all the HDCP and EDID issues. However, your diagram workaround above, while actually quite astute and should work in theory, might run into these sort of problems.

- Last, I'll say that I think you'll find that buying all the little components you need to do the above diagram would actually be MORE expensive than coming up with a reasonable matrix switcher solution.

So I would recommend NOT doing what you diagram above. Quite complicated, expensive, and I think you might discover complications with it. I'm actually in a very similar situation to you, as I have something like 6-7 HDMI *sources* in my house, similar to what you have, and 4 or so HDMI *displays* that I want to send them to. One of them is the nice, big, theater, with surround sound processor and projector, just like yours. However, just like you, I can't afford something like an 8x8 matrix switch. I'm actually installing my own solution now.

What I decided to do is, get a 4x4 matrix switch for a really reasonable price. (I'll get you the details if you want) Then I chose the 4 main sources that I *most* want to have on all 4 displays, and put them into the matrix switcher inputs. The other sources, then, are run straight to my HDMI theater processor (receiver). So I can still use ALL sources in my theater, in all their full A/V glory. My theater is my primary location for high-end A/V/gaming. The other displays are secondary, and get the 4 main HDMI sources that I want distributed, like television and a movie player. (note: I still use my PS3 as my best BD player) Until I can afford an 8x8 matrix switch, I think this is a very good solution for me.

Hope this helps!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• nthydro
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Chris D
      Hey, welcome to the Guide! Actually, it seems you're grasping the idea there. The first thing I thought of, when I saw your diagram and before I read your text, was, "that guy needs a HDMI matrix switch". But you've also hit on the exact rub--they can get rather expensive, especially as they grow in size of zones and sources. However, a few points:

- I actually don't think the "lowest common denominator" will necessarily be an issue for a matrix switcher nowadays. Yes, given your equipment, you'll have to have everything output in 720p to watch things simultaneously on multiple displays. Or, if you're only going to watch on your single 1080p display, then you can do 1080p. But on the video side, you shouldn't have any problems. Shouldn't be any on the audio side, either. If the HDMI recipients are capable of receiving and decoding/using the HDMI audio stream, then it won't matter whether they receive 2.0, 7.1, or whatever. Each recipient equipment piece will take that stream and then use/output it in whatever format it needs to. I'll also just point out, that **IF** you did run into mix-and-match "least common denominator" issues with a matrix, you would NOT solve it by your workaround above.

- Along with that, I think you'll find that most current HDMI matrix models are able to work with all the HDCP and EDID issues. However, your diagram workaround above, while actually quite astute and should work in theory, might run into these sort of problems.

- Last, I'll say that I think you'll find that buying all the little components you need to do the above diagram would actually be MORE expensive than coming up with a reasonable matrix switcher solution.

So I would recommend NOT doing what you diagram above. Quite complicated, expensive, and I think you might discover complications with it. I'm actually in a very similar situation to you, as I have something like 6-7 HDMI *sources* in my house, similar to what you have, and 4 or so HDMI *displays* that I want to send them to. One of them is the nice, big, theater, with surround sound processor and projector, just like yours. However, just like you, I can't afford something like an 8x8 matrix switch. I'm actually installing my own solution now.

What I decided to do is, get a 4x4 matrix switch for a really reasonable price. (I'll get you the details if you want) Then I chose the 4 main sources that I *most* want to have on all 4 displays, and put them into the matrix switcher inputs. The other sources, then, are run straight to my HDMI theater processor (receiver). So I can still use ALL sources in my theater, in all their full A/V glory. My theater is my primary location for high-end A/V/gaming. The other displays are secondary, and get the 4 main HDMI sources that I want distributed, like television and a movie player. (note: I still use my PS3 as my best BD player) Until I can afford an 8x8 matrix switch, I think this is a very good solution for me.

Hope this helps!
      First of all, thank you very much for the thorough and informative response. Greatly appreciated sir!

I'm glad to have found someone in a similar situation (BTW my name is Chris too :B). You're right about my setup being too expensive. I just checked and a quality splitter is at least $70. Getting 7 or 8 of those plus a HDMI switcher is not cost effective at all.

Your solution sounds like a very nice trade off compared to my setup. I just have a few questions. With your 4x4 matrix, are you able to use all 4 outputs at the same time with different source material on each one? You said you're not running into any issues with the common denominator, which I find very odd since all I've heard is even with a hdmi matrix you would still encounter those issues. How did you manage to do it? I'm guessing all of your displays have the same specs? The problem I'm worried about is while all my displays are 720P (except the one small 1080P tv, which I don't care if it gets downscaled), my projector is the only 3D capable device. Which means if the lowest common denominator kicks in, I won't be able to utilize 3D.

I'm kinda confused about what you said here: "If the HDMI recipients are capable of receiving and decoding/using the HDMI audio stream, then it won't matter whether they receive 2.0, 7.1, or whatever. Each recipient equipment piece will take that stream and then use/output it in whatever format it needs to."

I've asked the same question about my proposed setup on other forums and they all said I'm going to have audio issues for sure. A bit overwhelming for a noobie like me :B

I would definitely go the same route as you if I could do it without any issues. Mind telling me the details of your matrix? Thanks again :T

EDIT: I was going over your home theater layout and just to clarify (cause I'm a beginner so it's hard for me to grasp)...
      You're running 4 sources into the matrix box and outputting to 3 secondary displays + 1 main display (the projector). What I'm trying to figure out is for projector output, are you plugging it directly into the hdmi input on the projector? Or are you running it through one of the inputs on the receiver and then outputting to the projector? And for your main theater room, your just going sources>receiver>projector? Does your projector have dual hdmi inputs then?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I just want to make sure I got everything straight :rofl:
      Last edited by nthydro; 18 October 2012, 19:45 Thursday.

Comment

• Manning
        • Oct 2012

I'm just keeping this topic alive here because I saw it a few days ago and, being a novice myself, that is a very interesting diagram. Thank you for sharing that.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"