X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhinopilot
    • Jan 2009

Using HDMI with an older processor

I'm looking to upgrade my system (in my opinion, even though it is a jump back in technology) by going from a Denon 2309 receiver, no pre-amp outputs, to a Rotel RSP-1068/RMB-1075. I want to use a blu-ray player as well as my cable box that both have HDMI. I have asked a few similar questions and searched the forum but I'm not sure I am going about ths correctly, so any responses will be much appreciated!

1) Can I run the HDMI from both sources direct to my TV to get the benefits of eleventy billion colors and then run six RCA cables from the analog out of the blu-ray player to the 1068 to get the new loss-less formats?

2) When I listen to CD's through the Blu-ray player will this set of connections still be appropriate?

3) Can I also run a digital coax cable from my cable box to the processor and still get 5.1 surround on supported channels/material?

Are there flaws in this thought process?

Thanks again,
    Mike
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by rhinopilot
    1) Can I run the HDMI from both sources direct to my TV to get the benefits of eleventy billion colors and then run six RCA cables from the analog out of the blu-ray player to the 1068 to get the new loss-less formats?
    Yes but then you have to deal with the issue of bass management/level/distance in the player if the Rotel will not do it with an analog input. (I do not know the Rotel to be certain.)

2) When I listen to CD's through the Blu-ray player will this set of connections still be appropriate?
    Yes.

3) Can I also run a digital coax cable from my cable box to the processor and still get 5.1 surround on supported channels/material?
    Yes.

Are there flaws in this thought process?
    Not if one accepts your premise.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• rhinopilot
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
      Yes but then you have to deal with the issue of bass management/level/distance in the player if the Rotel will not do it with an analog input. (I do not know the Rotel to be certain.)
      Thanks Kal,

It looks like in the Rotel manual that you cannot use the test tones with the MULTI INPUT. I'll have to check the Oppo manual next. Thanks for the input.

-Mike

Comment

• rhinopilot
        • Jan 2009

I should have checked the Oppo manual before my last post. It looks like the BDP-83 would allow all the configuration from the player.

It looks like it might work!

Comment

• bnieman
          • Jun 2006

rhinopilot,

I have a Rotel RSP-1068, RMB-1085, and Oppo BDP-83 in my home theater and the system sounds awesome.

The Oppo comes with an audio test disc (and video test disc) that includes test tones so you are all set!

The Rotel separates will shame the Denon in every way. I recently had to decide in my living room between an integrated Sansui amp from the early 1980s and a Denon 3803 receiver and the Sansui won out easily. The Denon is sitting in storage.

Enjoy your new system!
          Cheers!
          Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• pbarach
            • Feb 2007

I have a Pioneer BDP-320 for use in the same situation you have. It does 7.1 analog with bass management. It has optical but not coax digital output, too, but not for the new lossless DVD formats. And you can connect its HDMI output to your TV for the video signal. Works great, beautiful picture quality, costs $200 less than Oppo (but doesn't play SACD or DVD-Audio).

Comment

• rhinopilot
              • Jan 2009

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the info. I have an Oppo on the way. I'm really groovin' on the responses - you guys are awesome.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"