Best Pre Processor or Receiver for cheap?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Best Pre Processor or Receiver for cheap?

I'm looking for a good, but somewhat cheap Pre or Receiver to use with my HTPC to do the decoding of DTS-Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD that will then be fed into the Rotel RSP-1098. I'm thinking of using this as a temporary unit until the RSP-1582 becomes availalbe (or until I'd save up money for it)...

So my question is which ones are best!?!?

I'm thinking of going along the lines of one of the Yamaha or Onkyo that's under the $500 mark....but I'm just not sure. Most likely those will be receivers which I don't need since I'll be using the pre-outs to the 1098....

Any helps anyone has on which model or brand I'd appreciate it!!!

Thanks!
    -Dan
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Dan, yeah, it sounds like you're looking to do exactly what I did (and still am doing) with my system for the last 4 years. I used a low-end Denon receiver, and it works great. I wrote all about it in Club Parasound here, in the "How I added HDMI 1.3 to my Parasound C1" thread.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

As long as the receiver has a full set of pre-outs, I think anything from Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer or Onkyo would do the job.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

These are definitely in all my choices!!! So at least I know I'm going in the right direction!

Now to just figure out which model. Chris I'll look at your post and go and see!

I'm figuring once I'm done with it, it'll go into the bedroom hooked up to my 2 B&W 602s3s and I'll use that in there when I use my 32" HDTV. So it won't go to waste.

Plus I already have someone (WKHanna) that will take my 1098 if the 1582 sounds just as good as the 1098 for 2ch!
        -Dan

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Why not just get a decent BD player that has analog 5.1 outs on the back and go into your Rotel that way to get the decoded hi rez audio formats?. Also remember this, your system is only as good as it's weakest link.

I find all these 'Hi-Rez' audio formats a tad overrated to be honest. I've heard some really good stuff but by and large, what makes a recording great happens more in the studio than in it's final format. I've never heard DD-HD or DTS-HD and I'm sure it is somewhat better in some cases than the standard formats, but certainly not in every case. When I upgrade my receiver to one that decodes it, I won't poo-poo using the better formats but I'm not rushing out to get them to be honest though.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

Agreed with Mac. When I got the Oppo BD player, it really extended the life of my Denon 2307CI. (07 = 2007). Just feed the analog output to the analog input and you're golden for a long time.
            -Chuck

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

That'd be nice, but I don't think the oppo will stream everything from my 30TB server... and that in there lies the problem. I'm streaming from an HTPC for everything now...

So I need a receiver with Pre-Outs...which I'm finding, I'm having to spend at least about $800 because nothing under that (that's good) has the pre-outs on them...

ARGH....!!! I might just have to figure out something else... if spending that much I might as well just save it and wait to upgrade my 1098!
              -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Do you have 7.1 inputs on your current processor? If so why not get a nice sound card that supports those formats and output them to your current equipment?

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Pioneer VSX-1121 on sale for $450 with free shipping.

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

Dougie, I could, but it'd have to be a good USB Sound card since I'm using my laptop down at the home theater....which the only ones I've seen are pretty darn expensive... and since I'm using the HDMI out, I figured I'd might as well just receiver/pre to do the decoding. Then once I get the 1582 (or whatever Rotel does and if it's good enough) then this can be moved into the Bedroom and hooked up with the RB-1080 and B&W 602s3s that I've modified... So in the end it's a worth while purchase I think.
                    -Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

Kevin, thanks! I missed this one for this price... I'm thinking this might just work, I've never had a bad experience with Pioneer stuff.
                      -Dan

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
                        That'd be nice, but I don't think the oppo will stream everything from my 30TB server... and that in there lies the problem. I'm streaming from an HTPC for everything now...
                        Since I do not know what you have on your laptop or PC, I cannot be certain but the Oppo will support streaming a very wide variety of audio formats as well as many video formats.

Originally posted by PewterTA
                        Dougie, I could, but it'd have to be a good USB Sound card since I'm using my laptop down at the home theater....
                        USB DACs are ubiquitous and there are many decent and cheap ones.

In the long run, a modern compatible AVR or prepro is still the best choice.
                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• JDH
                          • Sep 2004

What about a used or new Emotiva UMC-1 pre/processor ($499 new and I assume cheaper used) to add to the Rotel RSP-1098 as a stop gap measure?

JDH
                          Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• technodanvan
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by JDH
                            What about a used or new Emotiva UMC-1 pre/processor ($499 new and I assume cheaper used) to add to the Rotel RSP-1098 as a stop gap measure?

JDH
                            If you bought one new you could probably sell the 40% coupon it comes with for $150+ if you aren't interested in the XMC-1 when it debuts. Personally I think it's a pretty okay processor at the asking price, even more so if it only ends up costing you ~$300-$350.
                            - Danny

Comment

• Ron526
                              • Oct 2006

Hi Pewter,

What mods were done to the 602's?

Ron526

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

Hi Ron. Basically the only thing I did was replace the wiring with better copper wire and soldered all points inside the speakers from the binding posts to the crossover to the drivers themselves. All with WBT Silver solder and I have to say the changes are very very noticeable (for the better). Highs are a lot clearer and more precise without being harsh. The mid range cleared up and didn't sound conjested. Low end got a little bit tighter and more quick, I don't think the over all bass increased at all though.

I'd say they now easily compete with the 700/CM series range if not sound a tad bit better...but it's been a while since I've heard that line.

If you're interested in changing anything on them and have any questions, I'll gladly help in any way I can.
                                -Dan

Comment

• omegaslast
                                  • Feb 2011

Not sure if you bought anything yet but in my experience yamaha is one of the few companies who still puts pre-outs on lower models. Onkyo 709 had pre outs and was a good unit but its discontinued, might want to try and nab one

Comment

• impala454
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2007

That Onkyo looks great!
                                    -Chuck

Comment

• Ron526
                                      • Oct 2006

Damn Pewter,

Now I'm going to have modify my 602's and then my 601's.
                                      Is there no end to this madness?

Thanx for the reply,

ron526

Comment

• PewterTA
                                        • Nov 2004

Yeah thanks for the Onkyo!!!!! Hmmm now I'm wondering whether I should do that or just wait for the something like the new Rotel unit or wait a while for wherever I move to... Ugh tough decision.... Course with the 802s coming... I really don't have money for any of it. I'm sort of thinking that regular DD & DTS are good enough (still) for now and not worry about it until I get these paid off. Then it'll be like Ultra Beyond HD DD & DTS codecs that the receivers will need to have. LOL. Hmmm but 550 for that Onkyo is tempting!
                                        -Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
                                          • Nov 2004

Ron if you got the time and patience... it's definitely worth it!!! The hardest to solder is the tweeters. They have a clip that I pulled the "canister" connectors out of that go right into the wire that goes for the voice coil.... I actually cut part of the connector on the tweeter to get the connectors on, but still slightly exposed and then was able to get a touch of solder on them to bind them (all it needs)...and after that the tweeter sounds much better!

Wkhanna gave me 2 thumbs up and a slap on the back for how much better doing that sounded...so I think it's something that everyone should do. lol
                                          -Dan

Comment

• baranowski
                                            • May 2012

Well... I am a FLYERS fan so i do not know if I am suposed to chime in.... but I would look for a used poineer elite reveiver in you case.

GO PHILLY!!!!!

Comment

• PewterTA
                                              • Nov 2004

That's what I was thinking... until I heard my friends $600 Yamaha... Now I'm debating selling the 1098 and getting a Classe CP-800 and just a $800 - $900 Yamah or even that $600 model for the HT use.

I figure that's a cheaper route than doing something like the SSP-800... but maybe just go with that for my pre. ACK too many decisions and not enough people willing to give me everything I want to demo at home. ha ha. I'd have gear coming and going for a year testing everything if I could! lol

Philly.... *shaking my head*
                                              -Dan

Comment

• Audio bliss
                                                • Aug 2012

You should check out the harman kardon avr254...its awesome used as a pre-amp...has great setup options and all the codecs..h/d setup menu..etc.. plus its a bargain at under 400$...using mine with parasound halo amps. & paradigm speakers

Comment

Working...
                                                😀
                                                😂
                                                🥰
                                                😘
                                                🤢
                                                😎
                                                😞
                                                😡
                                                👍
                                                👎
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"