X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

Welti Devantier multi sub theory

Anyone using this method. I purchased an OM system from PE and before i returned it for a tuneup i got some interesting results. I had a serious null around 55hz, with a BIC-200 next to my LP i was able to fill in the void the null created. Further attention to delay would be needed and my plan is to utilize the MiniDSP and a 12"sealed Dayton with a Dayton SPA-240 plate amp....
    I took measurements from three position and this is very exciting stuff. This all came about when i did some HD tests and found some high numbers. Seems my Audyssey was attempting to correct the null by raising the null at 55hz. Good thing it was limited to raising it by only 10db Lol.

So, back to Welti Devantier http://blog.acousticfrontiers.com/wh...-devantie.html

The red line is the measurement at the LP, blue line is the same, but add in the bass from a BIC-200 sub positioned next to the LP. Only thing that is left is to tame the peak with a nice PEQ filter and delay the signal to matched the main subwoofers.....more to come
    Last edited by kgveteran; 14 January 2012, 12:39 Saturday.
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

Here is a graph of the distortion at 55hz due to Audyssey trying to correct the monster null. My hopes are to flatten out the response so i can recalibrate and Audyssey will have an easier time.

This was a close mic sweep, you couldnt see the hump Audyssey created at the listening position. This could have also been done by a shorted impulse so's not to include the rooms interaction. I'm learning more and more as i go...
    Last edited by kgveteran; 14 January 2012, 17:55 Saturday.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Neat stuff, KG!

Help me out here though, if you will, to understand this better.
      I thought you already had multiple subs?
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kgveteran
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
        Neat stuff, KG!

Help me out here though, if you will, to understand this better.
        I thought you already had multiple subs?
        Yup, they are all colocated up front and centered, could be why only one AUX sub might be needed to accomplish my task at hand. I treat them as one sub and EQ their extension as such.

Does that maybe explain. If i were to use this process completely, it would require me to break down all four drivers and build new cabs.... No way !!! I did the next best and leave em' where they are and attempt to correct another way..

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Ah Ha!
          Now I got it!
          Carry on!
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kgveteran
            • Oct 2005

My final goal is to give Audyssey a flat response to work with from 10hz to 80hz. Dealing with peaks is rather easy as you just build a filter like the one i have in the response graph centered around 40hz. A rough guess would be about 2/3rd of an octave wide and -16db to -18db deep. If this can be lowered into place without disturbing the rest of the response you are golden.

I like what Audyessy does, but found out dealing with critical nulls, more work needs to be done in preparation....

Whats really cool is building AUX subs to accomplish this...yup, more to come when i get more money and my mic back from PE

After reading Welti's paper, and seeing the results i cant help but post the results for other guys to play around with.....

Here is the Aux Sub i plan on building. Its a little overkill for the bandwidth i need, but oh well, a little overkill never hurt...
            Last edited by kgveteran; 16 January 2012, 16:52 Monday.

Comment

• kgveteran
              • Oct 2005

Turns out my method is really neither. I simply put one sub on either side of my couch and they filled in the null. This must be a near field correction thing...

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"