X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PSUfan
    • May 2004

A little help with decision making

I currently have a rotel rsp 1068 and have been contemplating upgrading to the new rsp 1572. However, after reviewing the tech specs I have thought about keeping the rsp 1068 but replacing my blu ray player with oppo bdp-95 and utlizing the multi-inputs for connection to the rotel. What I am trying to validate is that I think the oppo has a better quality audio build than the rotel. Can anyone validate my thoughts?

Thanks,
    Shane
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

As far as DAC performance is concerned, You are officially VALIDATED !! :-)
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• thxthx
      • Nov 2011

I have recently purchased an OPPO 95 and not really that impressed with it. I sold my McIntosh MVP871 as I wanted blu-ray (couldn't afford the new McIntosh MVP881) but found the older McIntosh to be far superior for SACD, DVD-A and DVD. Maybe I was just spoilt?

Comment

• PSUfan
        • May 2004

I would say in simple terms that I'm having a hard time justifying the replacement of my rsp-1068. Although the hdmi connections simplify connectivity I actually prefer the multi-inputs as my ears seem to pick up a cleaner sound. I use it mostly for home theatre. On the flip side I hate having the Rotel as simply a device to control volume. But the two devices seem to be redundant in a sense. You can have a very expensive blu-ray player that processes the audio and sends video to your tv or a cheap blu-ray player that sends the signal to the processor to decode and sends video to your tv. Since the rotel can accept all of my devices I think I'll spend my money on a blu-ray player and let that handle the the processing/video duties. I just have to finish tweaking my LFE frequencies as sometimes they are a bit overstated. Ah, who knows....that makes me think I should replace the rotel with the rsp1572 and let it take care of audio processing. There has to be others out there that feel the same way!

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

If you're using a cheap BD, CD or DVD player, then by all means let the Rotel do the processing. If you are using a great unit like the Oppo 95, then it would be a crime to let the Rotel do the processing since the DAC's in the Oppo are far superior. I did careful A/B comparisons with my Rotel doing the Processing VS my stand alone CD player doing it and the player won out by quite a good margin. However, if your main thing is home theatre, then these comparisons become less important. Music is where you will hear the biggest difference!.

One other thing about LFE management in case you are not aware, The Rotel will allow you to control the LFE level for each individual channel which is a great feature. DTS will normally have a much higher LFE level then Dolby digital for example. With music, you really want to tone down the subs so that the bass is properly balanced with the main speakers. The Rotel allows you to do this easily.

Comment

• PSUfan
            • May 2004

Thank you for the tip on the LFE levels. I was unaware you could set it for each channel and have made that adjustment now. Which points me to my next purchase of the Oppo 95. Thank you!

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by PSUfan
              Thank you for the tip on the LFE levels. I was unaware you could set it for each channel and have made that adjustment now. Which points me to my next purchase of the Oppo 95. Thank you!

Yes, you can set the LFE crossover for each channel as well as the LFE volume for each sound input on your Rotel (ie. DD, DTS, Music etc). The LFE volume is particularly important as each input unit will have a different level of bass or LFE's.

For anything less than speakers with a 8 inch or larger woofer, I would STRONGLY recommend for home theater and music for that matter that the LFE crossover for ALL speakers be set at the 80hz benchmark. :T

Comment

• mpauline
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by PSUfan
                I currently have a rotel rsp 1068 and have been contemplating upgrading to the new rsp 1572. However, after reviewing the tech specs I have thought about keeping the rsp 1068 but replacing my blu ray player with oppo bdp-95 and utlizing the multi-inputs for connection to the rotel. What I am trying to validate is that I think the oppo has a better quality audio build than the rotel. Can anyone validate my thoughts?

Thanks,
                Shane
                I have a Rotel 1098 and went through the same debate a few months ago. I really wanted to listen to the lossless codecs but did not really want to replace my Rotel. I ended up buying an Anthem MRX300 so that I could listen to the codecs. I was not so happy with the Anthem so returned it and went and bought an OPPO 95. I am very happy with the end result so much so that now I realize that i need to upgrade my speakers to something that can really reproduce the more dynamic soundtracks that HD lossless codecs offer. The dynamic range, cleanliness and steering of the OPPO is excellent.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mpauline
                  I have a Rotel 1098 and went through the same debate a few months ago. I really wanted to listen to the lossless codecs but did not really want to replace my Rotel. I ended up buying an Anthem MRX300 so that I could listen to the codecs. I was not so happy with the Anthem so returned it and went and bought an OPPO 95. I am very happy with the end result so much so that now I realize that i need to upgrade my speakers to something that can really reproduce the more dynamic soundtracks that HD lossless codecs offer. The dynamic range, cleanliness and steering of the OPPO is excellent.

Really good choice!!. You have purchased a major piece of gear there. Make sure when you are playing an audio only source that you click that 'thingy button' on the remote........I forget what it's called.....lossless??....audio direct??......pure audio??......something like that. It makes a big difference!!. :T

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"