X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armbender
    • Jul 2005

Emotiva XPA5 vs Wyred MC5

Looking at possibly upgrading my current XPA5. Wondering if anyone has any direct comparison to the Wyred 4 Sound MC5 that could give some results

My current set-up is listed below.

Elacs run at 4ohm if that makes a change in opinion
    Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Well, different topology's and what not. The Wyred 4 sound stuff is quite a bit more money I believe, and they are ICE module amps which are Class D. The Emotiva is Class A/B. Both would be good choices and are well built.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Yeah that MC5 retails for like 1999 it seems, that's over twice the cost of the XPA-5. I doubt many have compared them side by side as they are in such different price brackets. The MC5 does have more power, but it is Class D so may sound a bit different. It should run cooler though and is certainly a lot slimmer.

Since your mains are some bigger towers you may want to consider looking for an upgrade for just the L/R. If you could find a used Emotiva RPA-1 or RPA-2, they are fantastic for music and what not. Or even just going for the XPA-2 might be a nice upgrade for music. Of course with Emotiva you get the 30 day trial if you're buying new so you have a chance to send it back if you feel it wasn't worth it.

Comment

• Armbender
        • Jul 2005

I was actually just considering the xpa2
        Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

Is this to run B&W DM 600 S3?
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Armbender
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by stuofsci02
            Is this to run B&W DM 600 S3?
            Those are the rears, the Elac 248's are mains and Elac 241 centre

Comment

• stuofsci02
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2009

Ahhhh... Did you get them in Feb of this year?
              Main System:
              B&W 801D
              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
              Oppo BDP-105
              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
              B&W CM7
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Emotiva UPA-2
              Oppo BDP-83SE
              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Armbender
                I was actually just considering the xpa2
                You could also try 2 UPA-1's as they are supposed to be pretty nice as well. I really loved my RPA-2 though and I wish I kept it.

Comment

• Armbender
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by rambo2
                  Good information.keep it up.Thanks.
                  I agree, thanks.

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Armbender
                    I agree, thanks.
                    FYI, the post you replied to is gone since it was made by an idiot who thought they could get away with posting spam links here. Just in case someone is wondering what happened to rambo2. He's getting tortured and lit on fire right about now. :twisted:

Remember, don't feed the nummnuts! :nutkick:

Back to our regularly scheduled XPA5 vs MC5 thread...

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"