X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • strevo
    • Mar 2005

5.1 Surround Setup Question

Hey guys. I'm moving into a new house and trying to figure out how to set up my home theater. I'm a little limited on space and layouts due to the arrangement of the room. I'm looking at placing the tv (60" plasma) on a stand up against a wall with the center underneath it angled up slightly, and the L/R speakers on either side on stands. For the rear L/R speakers, I'm thinking of using in-ceiling speakers from Speakercraft placed on either side of the sectional in the ceiling. I will also have one down-firing sub next to the sectional, and another one against the other wall. What do you guys think about this layout? Any suggestions or better ideas? Thanks.
    -Steve
    Attached Files
  • baniels
    • Nov 2006

What is that squared-off circle between the subwoofers? Another chair?

Couple things strike me. One being the proximity of the left speaker to the fireplace. It could potentially accumulate some extreme heat. May be an issue, may not be.

It looks like the doorway to the room in the northeast corner is dictating the placement of sub2, which in turn dictates the placement of the couch/sectional.

If you were to put sub 2 on the other side of the couch, and scoot the couch to the edge of that door, you could be closer to centering the couch with the tv, and lining up the surrounds with the fronts.

L&R Build
    Sub Build

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

My only issue is sub#2....which seems a tad close to the listening area. Could be controlled with db level correction however.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• strevo
        • Mar 2005

Thanks baniels. I think the scale of my drawing is off a little. I didn't have access to the CAD model of my house while I was at work, so I just drew up that drawing quickly. I think the sectional actually lines up with the tv more closely than I had in the drawing. You are correct that the rounded rectangle is another chair. Also, the fireplace isn't a "fireplace" per se, it's actually a pellet stove, so it won't get too hot around it. You can actually have fabric within 3 inches of the surface. I'll try to post up some images of the CAD layout when I have a chance. Having an actual 3D computer model of your house makes it so much easier to decide how to lay things out!
        In reference to the 2nd sub being too close to the couch, I have had it set up this way in the past and actually enjoyed the effects of pointing the port at the couch. You can really feel the bass on the deep lows. It's probably not the best for sound quality, but it works for me.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

I've heard some people actually incorporate subs 'into' their couch so the whole flibbin' seat shakes and rumbles!!! Hehehe!!
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• strevo
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by madmac
            I've heard some people actually incorporate subs 'into' their couch so the whole flibbin' seat shakes and rumbles!!! Hehehe!!
            I'm thinking about doing that. I guess I'm lucky in that my CFO(wife) still gives me spending money for these kinds of things. I guess that means I haven't spent enough yet. :W

Comment

• Bob
              • Jul 2000

Not knowing about the true size makes it hard to critique or give two cents of probably worthless advice. Won't stop me though.

What is that whole area at the bottom? From a audio stand point my first instinct would be that the main speakers need to be down there with the TV in front of whaterver that indented area is (window?). Seating arranged accordingly, small loveseat or two chairs. Then keep the upper area as a seating area for company replacing that too big sectional with a smaller couch and putting a couple of appropriate sized chairs across from it where you show the TV.

Then either in ceiling speakers behind your tv seating area or, better yet, two wall mounted speakers behind the area facing back toward the tv seating area. Above the spots you now mark as right speaker and ceiling speaker accross from it.

Sub, either front corner if you want to maximize it. Although, from the looks of your drawing I am guessing that this is either a condo or apartment and if you really want to be a good neighbor you would nix the sub.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

corner loaded sub works well, so think of that with number 2. Bass is basically non-directional, so you'll feel it regardless of where. But I agree to close to listening area may be distracting at times.
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"