X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajpoe
    • Jul 2004

New couch!

I'm very excited. I ordered a new couch from Lazy Boy this week and it will be delivered on Saturday. It may be the most comfortable thing I have ever sat on. It fully reclines on both sides and the back of it is high enough to rest your head against. I can't wait! The one I got is in an E grade burgundy microfiber. Movies are going to be so much more comfortable. I'm going to have to turn the volume up even louder now to make sure no one falls asleep! :W

AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  • Kingdaddy
    • Jan 2004

Cool, now it's time to think about some bass shakers to add to the new couch.
    My Center Channel Project

Comment

• Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

Yeh, then we'll find out how well it's been bolted together :W

Congrats you'll love it:T
      Last edited by Clive; 01 December 2005, 15:38 Thursday.
      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• ajpoe
        • Jul 2004

I already have a Gold TST but since I've added my two DIY 15 Avalanches, I don't care for the TST as much. The subs shake the crap out of everything and its more natural feeling. I don't know if I'm going to try to add the TST to this couch or use it for something else. I may add it to my girlfriends couch to help create that low end effect.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

AJpoe, I have 6 Clark Synthesis Platinum tactile transducers. My two SVS subwoofers are PLENTY adequate in producing bass and shaking the room. However, I still like to use my Clarks. I've found that TST's are probably the easiest piece of equipment to misuse, (mostly OVERUSE) ruining the experience. TST's are best used VERY, VERY subtlly, to slightly augment the theater experience with SMALL tactile sensations.

Okay, so I'm getting off track. One of these days, I'll post a big article on proper TST use.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Trevor Schell
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Looks very comfortable!
            Like a big red Air Bag!
            Enjoy it!:T
            Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

Now if you can find a beer delivery system, you'll be all set.
              Danish

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

You mean a wife? (ducking)
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

I didn't want to go there, but yes that's always a possibility. She could also function as a beer "holder" plus that gives you a "reason" to ask her to watch movies with you.
                  Danish

Comment

• ajpoe
                    • Jul 2004

LOL, you guys crack me up. Chris, I did dial the TST down to subtle levels in the old couch and still enjoyed the benefit from it. It definitely wasn't overpowering or annoying.

I saw that you have the option to cross over your TSTs lower in your processor... I do not have that luxury in my Rotel 1068. I think I PMed you a while back to see if there were any other options for me to cross the TST at 20 Hz and under. I haven't been able to find any. I would be interested in using the TST if I can find a way to achieve a lower crossover point. Also, in the old couch, there was no metal frame and moving parts. Would the vibrations from a TST eventually do damage to a recliner that has moving parts and springs, etc?

I am thinking of building a nice wood bed frame in the near future... if I don't install it in the couch, I may add it to the bedframe and use it in a similar method as the deck installation suggested by Clark. :rofl:

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

I don't think a TST would cause damage to such a couch. For my theater seating, I use Salamander Matteo theater chairs, which are specifically designed for TST use. (My Clarks just bolted right on) The Matteos recline, with moving parts and springs. I've used mine for about 9 months now, and no problems so far.

As far as a TST crossover, yeah, the Parasound Halo processors really do "programmable" channels nicely. However, you can buy an external mixing box that takes inputs and sets filters. When I first visited Clark Synthesis, they demoed their TST in a chair for me that was fed by such a mixing box. Unfortunately, I don't have any information on it. But if you search professional audio and mixing equipment, you may find applications that work.

As for the bed, you laugh, but that's actually a great idea! Great for watching TV/movies, and hey... just put on a track, and you'll get a little "vibrating" bed. Just don't have the wife holding a beer at the time, or she might spill. :rofl:
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• ajpoe
                        • Jul 2004

The best way to add the TST effect to my couch would be to lay a 2x4 under the feet of the couch and bolt the TST to the top of the 2x4. This will transfer some energy to the floor too but that may make it a more even distribution and can be accounted for with the gain on my amp. I emailed Clark to ask about an external crossover to achieve 20 Hz and under to the TST and they didn't mention and mixing equipment, crossovers or anything but instead directed me to some home made looking website that had various electronics and an email of hlabs@comcast.net. I sent my question but they didn't reply to me.

I laugh about using the TST in the bed but it really is a serious consideration for me. I have 2 bookshelves I am using in there now and I think it would be a really nice compiment to them and fun for music, etc. My girlfriend is a singer/musician and she loves this stuff as much as I do. I'm sure she wouldn't mind a vibrating bed

Decisions, decisions...

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Clark Synthesis has had a personnel change in the last 6 months, so I'm not sure who's there anymore and what their experience is.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"