X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pez
    • May 2004

Watching 3D movies on PS3

Need some help figuring out why my PS3 wont play a 3D movie. For starters I have a PS3 (with most recent update), Panasonic TC-P50VT25, and Denon 3808CI. Everything goes through the receiver.

Yesterday I picked up Tron 3D and after the Disney logo screen popped up the screen then goes blank. My initial thought was the receiver since its not a 3D capable model. However I have played Black Ops in 3D so I know it can pass the video through the receiver.

I tried connecting the PS3 directly to the TV and it works. I am little confused since a video game works going through the receiver but not a movie. Why would that be? Could it be something like the game was 1080i but the movie 1080p - a stretch but I cant think of any other reason.
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Pez
    Need some help figuring out why my PS3 wont play a 3D movie. For starters I have a PS3 (with most recent update), Panasonic TC-P50VT25, and Denon 3808CI. Everything goes through the receiver.

Yesterday I picked up Tron 3D and after the Disney logo screen popped up the screen then goes blank. My initial thought was the receiver since its not a 3D capable model. However I have played Black Ops in 3D so I know it can pass the video through the receiver.

I tried connecting the PS3 directly to the TV and it works. I am little confused since a video game works going through the receiver but not a movie. Why would that be? Could it be something like the game was 1080i but the movie 1080p - a stretch but I cant think of any other reason.
    Let me tell you something about HDMI.. :roll: ......Full of various versions, updates, firmware issues....and bugs in general. For whatever god forsaken reason, Tron requires a certain version of firmware/HDMI compatability that your receiver does not recognize. I've always maintained that it is better, whenever possible to connect your HDMI directly to the monitor. Understandably in the case of DD-HD and DTS-HD, you need to go through the processor or receiver but then again.....I'm not sure it's worth it if you're gonna' have these kinds of issues!!. :roll:
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Pez
      • May 2004

Interesting. So, I if tried another 3D movie it would work (going through the receiver)?

I dont mind having to go to the TV directly but like you said, I would lose DTS-MA.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

No, no other 3D movie will work. There's 4 (at least) different formats for 3D.

A TV has to be able to supports all formats. A player only has to support at least one of the formats. The way the PS3 encodes the games is able to pass through the Denon, the way it has to send the 3D movies out is not passing through the Denon.

Denon has stated that they are not planning an upgrade to their HDMI 1.3 receivers to allow all formats to pass, you will need to upgrade to a HDMI 1.4 receiver.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Pez
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
          No, no other 3D movie will work. There's 4 (at least) different formats for 3D.

A TV has to be able to supports all formats. A player only has to support at least one of the formats. The way the PS3 encodes the games is able to pass through the Denon, the way it has to send the 3D movies out is not passing through the Denon.

Denon has stated that they are not planning an upgrade to their HDMI 1.3 receivers to allow all formats to pass, you will need to upgrade to a HDMI 1.4 receiver.

Kevin D.
          Thanks. I was afraid that was the only solution. I had been thinking of upgrading for a different reason but I am not sure if 3D is all that important at this time. At least the movie came with 4 different versions so I can still watch it.

Comment

• Industrial
            • Mar 2009

This is why I wish the PS3 had 2 hdmi out like the newer Oppos, one for the HD sound and one for the TV. I know HDMI is all about one cable to rule them all. But thats not playing out so well...

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

I know HDMI is all about one cable to rule them all. But thats not playing out so well...[/QUOTE]

Agreed !! :roll:
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Olavi
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Industrial
                This is why I wish the PS3 had 2 hdmi out like the newer Oppos, one for the HD sound and one for the TV. I know HDMI is all about one cable to rule them all. But thats not playing out so well...
                I was under the impression that PS3 would not support HD audio with 3d movies, probably a trick to get people buy new 3d bd players for full support :roll:

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Really? Huh... I don't have a 3D TV, so I haven't been able to ops check the PS3 capabilities since they added 3D.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"