X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pulsardet
    • Jan 2011

I need help speaker building HT

Hi there, I need help for RCL speaker for my HT setup, the current speaker are garbage the sound is flat, the voice are bad, even in 5.1 ou sterio the sound is not good, now that I have money about 500$ to 1000$ budget for RCL speaker, I have allready the wood and tool. What I am seeking, for a WOW effect, when I listen to music I want the hear the voice of the singer or the solo of the guitar, also the hihat, I know that nothing is perfect in this world, but I would like to try to I was thinking about 2 small bookshelf speaker, and center, or a centre with + 2 larger 3 way speaker. Since they is 100000 thing's to look, I include a picture of the room and size, to give a general idea how the system is setup up. I use a Sony STR-DB940 5.1 amp receiver, and darton 300w sub. I have buitl my own microphone and it's a been calibrated also. Any advice is good any good imput are more then welcome.

Sorry for my bad english, I'll do my best to answer all your comments.
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Hi Pulsardet, I hate to break it to you but your main problem sound wise right now is the Sony receiver. I have auditioned many Sony's over the years and the sound problems you are hearing (" the sound is flat, the voice are bad, even in 5.1 ou stereo") are common with their products. Start with a better receiver and go from there.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• pulsardet
      • Jan 2011

Ok no problem, and now what is a good receiver ? Cause that amp was in 2008 a very good and expensive amp still has the receipt of 1200$. But price sometime is not a good indicator.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

If you can afford a little more.....Rotel. If not, try anything other than Sony, like and in order of preference.......Harmon K , Marantz, Yamaha, Denon in the $1K range or more. I have heard that the Pioneer Elite series is very good as well. However, If music is your thing too and you are looking for a musical receiver, then I cannot recommend Rotel enough. I have one and it destroys my speakers!!. Nothing touches it in that price range ($1500-$2000). A VERY musical receiver to say the least!.

Comment

• technodanvan
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by madmac
          I have auditioned many Sony's over the years and the sound problems you are hearing (" the sound is flat, the voice are bad, even in 5.1 ou stereo") are common with their products. Start with a better receiver and go from there.
          I guess I'll play Devil's Advocate here - but last time I auditioned a receiver the only things close to sounding as good as a Harman/Karon were a Pioneer Elite and Sony ES. Not saying that the lower-end Sonys have similar sound characteristics, or that my sound preferences match anyone else's, but without knowing the current set of speakers I think it's a stretch to assume the change of receiver is going to do any good. Bad speakers on a Sony aren't going to sound a whole lot different than if they're paired with an expensive Rotel, they'll still sound bad.

@pulasrdet

What sort of speakers are you currently using? Manufacturer and model, if possible.
          - Danny

Comment

• pulsardet
            • Jan 2011

Well the speaker that I am using currently is very very bad setup and I know, the centre chanel was on a 250$ kit, and the LR are 1'' tweeter and 10 inch CAR sub.
            Their is a cross over but made by a friend like 10 year ago when he was about 12 lol

So all the speaker here are junk, I know, since I was curious I borrow speaker from my neigbourg they are not the best about 750$ Energie speaker.

After a bit of tuning the sound was a lot better, but in sterio cause I had only 2 to test, So was is sure is my weakess link is the speaker itself.

So Now after a lot of reading here and there, I need littre speaker like bookselft,

Now I do have to choice, 1 go with a twitter and maybe a 6.5 or 5.5 midrange, or go to go with a 1 Fullrange.

So I don't know what would be the best out of my 2 option, I have allready a sub that I can setup to play until 80 hz or so maybe lower if best.

Let me know what you think guy's I am gonna take a lot at the amp also.

Comment

• technodanvan
              • Nov 2009

From what you describe I would say your amplifier is fine for the moment - you would benefit more from a decent set of speakers.

Are you located in America, if not what sources do you have to purchase parts?
              - Danny

Comment

• pulsardet
                • Jan 2011

I am from canada and I was looking to do business with partexpress and madisound. Down were I live their is not much of choice of parts for speaker building, but I allready have the tools the wood and skill, I can solder my cross-over my self, but I have a lot of difficulties to understand how to designt the cross-over itself.

Comment

• pulsardet
                  • Jan 2011

Hi after looking at a lot of option I think I'll go with this has my center speaker,

So if you have any input on this or what kind of speaker LR I can match to this I am all hears.

thank you !

Comment

• technodanvan
                    • Nov 2009

I don't know anything about that center, but personally I would pick your Left/Right speakers first, then worry about getting a center channel up and running.

The value offered by the TriTrix speaker kit at Parts-Express is hard to be ignored, though since you say you already have the wood and tools you might save a bit by doing the cabinet yourself....maybe.

In any case, it would fit perfectly into your budget and should leave enough left over for a decent center channel and finishing materials. :T

Alternatively you could try out the D3's, but I think they run you a bit more (perhaps) and are an aging design. I still think they sound great for movies and bass-heavy, but I'm sure for the price there are a multitude of designs that could better it in certain areas. I'm not certain they'd really give you what you're looking for, though I AM certain they would be far and away better than what you have. Dunno about parts availability though.

- Danny

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

@technodanvan : agreed about the speakers being paramount. You can hook up a ghetto blaster to good speakers and they'll still sound good. It's just that Sony receivers have no real amp section and produce mediocre sound in most cases except for maybe there super high end stuff. They simply have no 'guts'!!. I was listening to a higher end Yamaha receiver for many years and then changed to Rotel and the difference was to say the least....enormous!. My speakers came alive with transparency and detail and it was truly like hearing all my music again for the first time. If our friend gets new speakers it will help but the Sony will not deliver what is necessary for them to sound good.

Comment

• technodanvan
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by madmac
                        @technodanvan : agreed about the speakers being paramount. You can hook up a ghetto blaster to good speakers and they'll still sound good. It's just that Sony receivers have no real amp section and produce mediocre sound in most cases except for maybe there super high end stuff. They simply have no 'guts'!!. I was listening to a higher end Yamaha receiver for many years and then changed to Rotel and the difference was to say the least....enormous!. My speakers came alive with transparency and detail and it was truly like hearing all my music again for the first time. If our friend gets new speakers it will help but the Sony will not deliver what is necessary for them to sound good.
                        Agreed, in that both should be replaced someday for a high-quality audio system. However, I believe the biggest gains right now (at least going by what the OP described) would be swapping out the speakers.

I won't argue the merits of Rotel and other brands, frankly I have found most moderately expensive receivers (say, $500-$1500) to all sound good in their own right, with H/K sounding the most 'alive'. I do think I tend to prefer a slightly brighter sound than some, which could explain the preference. That said, given separates can be had in that price range I have made the switch. I find Emotiva to be less bright, but it also offers improvements in clarity, soundstage, and of course, power.

The best option for receivers, in my opinion, is setting aside a few hours at a large audio dealer listening to your own music, then taking one home for demo purposes. There are many ~$500 (and less!) receivers from relatively mainstream brands (Onkyo, H/K, and Pioneer Elite, to name a few) that sound absolutely excellent in their own right, and to say one should purchase a $1500+ receiver to listen to music/movies is simply more than many would be willing to accept, especially when a price restriction for speakers has already been given.
                        - Danny

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"