X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HedgeHog
    • Dec 2008

Apple TV G2

Howdy,

So I got the new Apple TV yesterday and put it in my system. It's sure is tiny. While awaiting this device, I ripped my whole CD collection into Apple Lossless and stuffed it in a QNAP server (they have an iTunes Server built-in). However, silly Apple decided that those aren't good enough. A dedicated PC/Mac must be on running and sharing iTunes library (via Home Sharing) in order for the ATVG2 to work. GRRRR.

Also, I am not sure if the audio out is bitstreamed or not...I think it's PCM and has be re-encoded too. SIGH My SSP reads DISCRETE, PCM, 48K for the ALAC files but iTunes shows them as 44.1K. So ATV changes the audio from CD to video's audio format??

The GUI is nice and simple (and missing TV for us Canucks) and would be painful to navigate on a regular basis if not for the Remote App. I use the iPad and iPhone and it's pretty good. Much, much faster to move around than the OEM remote.

I really like their slide show with music...I can entertain the kids (only 2) for quite a long time. Cool transitions too. Picture quality is A+++.

Sound-wise, it's not bad and having all my music readily accessible is nice. Especially it's so much cheaper than a Sooloos and can do videos too. Once ATVFiles gets a hack/mod available, this should also be able to stream the most popular formats direct from network storages...however, not being pure bitstream on the output still bugs me.

For vids, although it's only 720p, it's not bad. My plan is to use the Netflix/iTunes for viewing movies that I want to watch but not really sure I want to own. Small price to pay (even less than my cable provider's view-on-demand prices). For the must-haves, I'll still get the BD media anyway. As mentioned, it's surprisingly good. Stream speed via wifi is more than quick enough. And I just put in one of those MOCA network in case I need to go wired.

In fact, the sound off Youtube was a pleasant surprise. I watched the ubiquitous Drifting video from Andy McKee and the sound was superb. Is this really YouTube??

For the price, I think Job's little "hobby" is definitely worth pursuing. It would be interesting to see this vs the GoogleTV/Boxee/other streamers as time goes on.

Anyone else use one of these?

Cheers,
    -Hedwig
    Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
    Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
    B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
    Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
    Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

Don't think you will see the real value until airplay is available next month within iOS 4.2. Then you can use iPod, iPhone or iPad to play directly to the Unit without the need for a pc or mac.

Comment

• HedgeHog
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by aarsoe
      Don't think you will see the real value until airplay is available next month within iOS 4.2. Then you can use iPod, iPhone or iPad to play directly to the Unit without the need for a pc or mac.
      Then one would have to sync their whole libray onto a "portable" device.

Anyhoo, once these guys release a product for the ATV2, it'll be fine: http://firecore.com/atvflash

-H
      Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
      Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

This is a slight diversion from your topic, but I just happened to get a news article E-mailed to me today.

Next-Gen Apple TV Doesn’t Play Nice with Home Control

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• BW4me
          • Nov 2005

I recently picked on up to run with my rotel rsx-1067. The rotel doesn't have hdmi so I have it hooked up with the optical. I have various audio setting on the rotel so I'm not sure which is the best default audio setting (music, pro logic, pcm, etc).

Any thoughts of which I should set for default?

Steve

Comment

• HedgeHog
            • Dec 2008

@Chris: they just hacked the new Apple TV...now to wait for apps.

@BW4me: I set mine to 'discrete' since I read the ATV does its own conversion then send the content out via PCM. Not sure what the Rotel setting semantics/syntax are.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"