X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Ken Rockwell on iTunes and low-res audio

This is heresy. In the old days we used to burn people like Ken Rockwell at the stake. Prepare to be shocked fellow audiophiles...

iTunes

iTunes is Apple's free software used to copy all your CDs into your computer so you can load them into an iPod. It also allows you to play and manage your entire CD library from your computer, and it sounds great for serious listening.

The AAC coder in iTunes sounds great at 128kbs AAC VBR, and that's for serious listening on high-end audiophile systems with your eyes closed and your full attention on the music. Just plug in a set of professional headphones that cost more than the iPod, or plug the one ounce Nano, which is smaller than a business card and 1/4" thick, into a 400 pound classical recording studio monitoring system and you'll have the same epiphany I did.

I used the analog outputs from my Quad G5 and my classic Beyer DT990 headphones, through which I can hear more than through my Quad ESL63 or B&W 801 monitors. I've also played CDs burnt from compressed iTunes files through these monitors, as well as through a Krell / Martin Logan electrostatic system and it sounds exactly like the original CDs.

Most critical listeners from outside the recording industry don't realize that most audible artifacts are part of the recordings they buy, not the gear used to reproduce them. These folks, often called audiophiles, spend their lives trying to work around the nasty things we audio engineers do to the audio before it gets to you. Do your own tests if you prefer. Beware that many of the defects many people blame on data compression are in the CDs they bought in the first place. I listened for differences between the original CD and the iTunes rendition. Hearing no difference is perfection, and I got that at 128kbs variable bit rate. Better compression schemes can't get rid of defects already recorded into your CDs. For that you need something like a dBx 3BX I use when listening to over-the-counter recordings, but not for today's tests.

iTunes also allows recording music without any data loss and also at 96kHz sampling rates to save more space. I'll get to that later.

This documents what I learned in a day of listening tests. In one day of listening I only got to compare the formats I mention below. Others spend lifetimes worrying about compression formats. A day was all I wanted to invest, and I'm quite happy with the results. I'd rather listen to music than algorithms.

I eventually imported my 600 CD library, which took a month and 36 GB, and it sounds great.

Nigel.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I'd rather listen to music than algorithms.
    Then buy a turntable.....I had to toss that in there. 'Recording engineer' ? That explains a lot. He should stick to annoying people on the subject of cameras. He seems to excel a that.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Johnloudb
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2007

Well, that explains a lot about the quality of many recordings and remasters these days!

Pretty sad!
      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Well, there you have it...
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by John Holmes
          Well, there you have it...
          Haha, yep, there it is ...
          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Johnloudb
            Haha, yep, there it is ...
            What is "it" though?
            Jason

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"