X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mfrizzzz
    • Oct 2010

Some dvd, cd upgrade questions

Hi folks,
    I currently have a Denon 3800 BDCI blue ray player and a Ah NJoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player running through a Lexicon MC-1 processor to my Martin Logan Odyseey Towers in the front, smaller Martin Logans in the rear and some Legacy audio studios hanging from the ceiling. This is in a 23 foot by 30 foot home theater room. The display is a Screen Play 777. After having the core of this system for about 10 years, I want to do some upgrades. I plan on purchasing a Classe 880-SSP to replace the Lexicon. My question is whether it will be worth it to upgrade the Denon blue ray player and the CD player. I have no problem upgrading both, and would like some ideas, figuring a budget in the $1,500 range if necessary for both or the $3,000 range if there is a blue ray player that will also greatly increase the audio that I am now getting from my Cd player. Please let me know your thoughts.
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

I would suspect that you will be able to do better on the cd player but unless you really have a big collection Of music I would considder if streaming music is not the way to go instead.
    Sonos, Apple tv and many other options exist that can be controled with a device like either ipod touch/iphone or ipad.
    Just something to think about.

On the blueray question I must admit the difference between different players are primarely speed and Function rather than picture quality.
    Oppo have a new model coming out and it should absolutly be on your shortlist, but I believe it is not due until November.

Comment

• mfrizzzz
      • Oct 2010

...thanks for your thoughts. I'm really not into streaming music...I have zilli9ons of cds, mostly jazz, and i have an old vinyl collection. I've actually thought about getting a turntable again. I've been reading up on the Oppo. It certainbly sound sliek a cost effective option. Any ideas anyone on a really good sounding cd player. Again, i don't mind playing the cds on something other than the dvd player if I can improve the sound quality.

Comment

• Hammie
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by mfrizzzz
        ...thanks for your thoughts. I'm really not into streaming music...I have zilli9ons of cds, mostly jazz, and i have an old vinyl collection. I've actually thought about getting a turntable again. I've been reading up on the Oppo. It certainbly sound sliek a cost effective option. Any ideas anyone on a really good sounding cd player. Again, i don't mind playing the cds on something other than the dvd player if I can improve the sound quality.
        I would look at the Oppo BDP-83 NuForce Edition. It would probably support both the blu-ray side as well as the upgrade DAC's for the analog outs for better audio performance.

The new BDP-93 that is due out next month, will not have the dedicated 2-channel analog outs like the BDP-83 offers. Not sure if this is important to you, but I know a lot of audiophiles are disappointed that those ports are no longer in the BDP-93 design.
        Panasonic TC-P65VT30
        Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
        Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
        Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
        B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
        Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
        My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
        Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

OK - no streaming..

However you are going to purchase the SSP-800 from Classe. So I would recommend by starting to use that as a DAC to your Marantz. That should give you a lift no matter what. If that is not enough then you can start from there. Maybe continue down the Classe route as so many of others, including myself, have done.

And yes, I am also back into Vinyl..

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"