X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

RSX1056 to marantz sr7002/8002 ?

I know i may have asked before but would really like to get some opinions to get me over the fence.I have an opportunity to get either a 7002 or 8002 for a significant price.7002 for 980. the 8002 for 1,400.So i may be selling my rotel.I have a tosh hd player that is connected via dig. because analogs are taken up by my universal which i dont want to sacrifice.My display only has 1 hdmi.I'm assumng that with either marantz both which have significant more power than the rotel i could save my universal via analog and also take advantage of the new hd formats via hdmi.I do plan on getting a blue ray player later on.My speakers are 4ohm but 90db.I also have an hd dvr which is via component.I use my rec for video switching,very convenient for the family.I'm guessing that i could connect everything via the marantz to the 1 hdmi of my display to continue the switching via the rec.My question at last is if you were me would you think selling the rotel to get either marantz would be an obvious choice,and if so which one the 7002 for an extra cpl of bucks move tothe 8002.Hope you guys understand my long post,its that this is a big decision for me which is going to last a while.thanks
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

After a quick read of your post, if $980 to $1400 is "an xtra couple of bucks", what are you looking at either brand for. There is "better" out there for a"few" bucks more.
    But seriously, your question may be better posed to Marantz fans if your looking to be nudged in that direction.

Comment

• rick c
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by soundhound
      After a quick read of your post, if $980 to $1400 is "an xtra couple of bucks", what are you looking at either brand for. There is "better" out there for a"few" bucks more.
      But seriously, your question may be better posed to Marantz fans if your looking to be nudged in that direction.
      "an exta couple of bucks" is apparently a bad choice of words on my part.I'm just trying to see if the extra was justifiable.And dont get me wrong i have loved my rotel since the day i got it.But being things as they are rotel does seem well behind.The 1058 is way overpriced in my opinion for what you get or dont get it.

Comment

• mattburk
        • Feb 2003

I would get the marantz, let you next upgrade after that be a nice separte amp. The amp section in the 8002 is great & I doubt you will see much of an improvement unless you spend major bucks on separate amps, but a nice separate amp is nice to have for future upgrades.
        www.mycstone.com
        www.coverednow.com
        www.biarenton.com

Comment

• rick c
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by mattburk
          I would get the marantz, let you next upgrade after that be a nice separte amp. The amp section in the 8002 is great & I doubt you will see much of an improvement unless you spend major bucks on separate amps, but a nice separate amp is nice to have for future upgrades.
          Not sure if i understand are you saying the marantz would not be an improvement over the rotel?Or you referring to the amp sect of the marantz?sorry

Comment

• mattburk
            • Feb 2003

I am saying that the amp in the 8200 is pretty good. If you were to buy an entry level separte amp to use with the 8200 you would see little improvement. If you want to notice a difference between the amp in the 8200 and a separate amp, do your home work and buy a nice separate amp.
            I would take the marantz over the rotel, inspite of the fact that two channel audio might (not for sure) might be slightly better on the rotel.
            www.mycstone.com
            www.coverednow.com
            www.biarenton.com

Comment

• rick c
              • Aug 2004

that's what i thought you meant.thanks

Comment

• corysmith01
                • Feb 2005

This is pretty bizarre because i'm actually contemplating the exact same switch. I previously owned an SR8400 about 3 years ago. Sold it. Went with many other brands. Finally landed a 1056 (HDMI was not important, sound was). I don't know what you call it...maybe brand loyalty, maybe first love ( ), but I've never quite gotten over selling my Marantz. So, when I saw the new 8002, I once again wanted to make the switch.

I know Marantz is well respected. I'm a 80/20 music to HT guy and love my Rotel for that. But that 8002 keeps calling me. I know they amp section is robust in the 8002. But I just can't tell if I'm going to be yearning for the Rotel again once it's gone. Ahh, decisions decisions.

Comment

• rick c
                  • Aug 2004

My feelings exactly.I went from a marantz sr7000 to the rotel.I actually have 2 marantz receivers now 1 in kids tv room and 1 in my office.Being that the marantz 8002 is calling me a well i really think i will be going that route.Just have to sell the rotel.The marantz 8002's toroidal transformer as well as the copper chasis put it over the 7002 for me.And since i can get a real good deal it makes it even better.

Comment

• corysmith01
                    • Feb 2005

Yeah, those additional benefits are what do it for me. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm sure the 7002 is a suitable performer, but I think the 8002 is where it's at. I mean, I guess if I'm going to make the switch, it should be for all the marbles and not just some of them.

Coincidentally, and I failed to mention it earlier, I'm also on a pair of 4 ohm speakers, so our set up/deliberation similarities continue. :T

If you do indeed pull the trigger on the 8002, def. take the time to do a write up on their differences/similarities. I'd love to check it out...considering I'm in the same boat.

Comment

• apodaca
                      • Jun 2006

I upgraded from RSX-1056+RCD1072 to Marantz 8001+CD5001 (even trade)and was totally surprised at how good the Marantz is. In particular the amplifier section is much better than Rotels. My findings were confirmed by the review of the SR 8002 on ultimateavmag.com which also reviewed the RSX 1057SR8002

The Marantz also has no problems receiving and processing PCM sources so as to apply PLIIx or THX listening modes. Two HDMI outputs is cool if people have a projector and TV in same room. The Auddessey feature is just OK but the manual EQ is great since I can EQ each speaker to my taste if I want. Direct Audio and Pure Audio are excellent when listening to stereo sources and the difference between this bypass mode and regular processed stereo is very noticable. The CD5001 is a great performer as well and (dont miss the RCD1072 at all) the Marantz universal DVD players feature SACD playback so again they surpass Rotel. I still use Rotel for external amplification and conditioning since I run 6 towers full range in my room and the two brands match pretty well in all black due to both having brushed aluminum faceplates.

Comment

• rick c
                        • Aug 2004

I'll be ordering the marantz sr8002 next week to replace my rsx1056.It's been good but it develops problems now and then.Now its the recognizing of pLll and other processing,supposedly it can be fixed thru firmware.But everything is firmware it seems.Any how i started off with marantz and am now going back.Sometimes i wish i never left.

Comment

• artv4
                          • Jun 2007

i have to say, i my previous avr was a marantz. i definitly could tell the difference in sound quality between the rotel and the marantz. i am currently also using the rsx-1056 and love it. imho i think you should wait a bit longer for a new avr purchase. maybe wait until rotel makes an avr with 1.3a. it can not be that much longer. look at the 1058
                          GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• rick c
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by artv4
                            i have to say, i my previous avr was a marantz. i definitly could tell the difference in sound quality between the rotel and the marantz. i am currently also using the rsx-1056 and love it. imho i think you should wait a bit longer for a new avr purchase. maybe wait until rotel makes an avr with 1.3a. it can not be that much longer. look at the 1058
                            I guess it does come down to personal preference and experience.I did look into the 1058 fwiw and it's full of issues to my understanding.As far as rotel w/an 1.3a receiver or processor for that matter i think it will be a while before they do.I did start off with a marantz and it had no problems what so ever,i currently have 2 other marantz in different locations and no problems with anything,not the slightest.My rotel is actually my 2nd had problems with the first and my current one i already stated has issues.Mind you they are Minor issues but annoying.Dont take me wrong i've liked rotel but while their processors have issues,their amps are a different beast.
                            As one of my dealers stated to me "rotel is good when they work".

Comment

• artv4
                              • Jun 2007

is there a local audio shop around your area that is a certified marantz dealer? take the 8002 home for a week and compare. both companies are great, though, i think you miss the reserve power from the rotel compared to the marantz. i almost did the same thing, because i wanted hdmi 1.3a. i missed my rotel sound and was willing to wait till rotel made a new avr or pre-amp. good luck

Comment

• rick c
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by artv4
                                is there a local audio shop around your area that is a certified marantz dealer? take the 8002 home for a week and compare. both companies are great, though, i think you miss the reserve power from the rotel compared to the marantz. i almost did the same thing, because i wanted hdmi 1.3a. i missed my rotel sound and was willing to wait till rotel made a new avr or pre-amp. good luck
                                well the Marantz does have more power than the Rotel but thats not my reasoning.Dont get me wrong i like the way my rotel sounds.But haveing Marantz in the past and liking how they sound.To me atleast they are a warmer sound than the neutral of the rotel.I just think its time for a change.I've had the 1056 from jump street and the 8002 has me going like the rotel did when i first got it(putting issues aside).Also you'd be surprised on the deal i'm getting on the marantz(authorized dealer).My family uses the system and when watching T.V(hd sat) and its a constant "what happened to the sound?" and i have to jump to the remote and hit Aud then PLII all the time on a constant basis.

Comment

• artv4
                                  • Jun 2007

wow, that would be a bummer. power is not everything, remember it is the reserves and the all channels driven factor. they both sound great, i always thought he rotel sounded warmer than the marantz. why not try the 1058? what kind of source are you using?

Comment

• rick c
                                    • Aug 2004

I understand power isnt everything.Just like rotel will tell you depending who you talk to that rsx1056 should'nt be used with 4ohm speakers.I have 4ohm speakers and it does fine but they are also 90db.as far as the 1058 i will not touch it at all,if you search here you will see about the issues with it concerning the HDMI as well as it's scaler i believe.I mean its a New unit with issues already?.i also believe this is with the 1069 as well.anotheer factor for me besides the quality of the marantz is its conveniency concerning Hdmi.I have a unversal player as well as an HD player and later i may opt for blueray(unk).the ease of connecting my universal as well as the hd player without having to resort to a switcher is a plus for me, not a breaker but none the less a plus.I 've also come to the conclusion that as good as the rotel amp section may be the processing could and should be alot better ithout haveing to resort to firmware fixes.Almost forgot the issues with the rsx1058 cannot be fixed with firmware as i read somewhere here.
                                    And i do realize nothng is perfect just that some have alot less constant issues than others.

Comment

• rick c
                                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by apodaca
                                      I upgraded from RSX-1056+RCD1072 to Marantz 8001+CD5001 (even trade)and was totally surprised at how good the Marantz is. In particular the amplifier section is much better than Rotels. My findings were confirmed by the review of the SR 8002 on ultimateavmag.com which also reviewed the RSX 1057SR8002

The Marantz also has no problems receiving and processing PCM sources so as to apply PLIIx or THX listening modes. Two HDMI outputs is cool if people have a projector and TV in same room. The Auddessey feature is just OK but the manual EQ is great since I can EQ each speaker to my taste if I want. Direct Audio and Pure Audio are excellent when listening to stereo sources and the difference between this bypass mode and regular processed stereo is very noticable. The CD5001 is a great performer as well and (dont miss the RCD1072 at all) the Marantz universal DVD players feature SACD playback so again they surpass Rotel. I still use Rotel for external amplification and conditioning since I run 6 towers full range in my room and the two brands match pretty well in all black due to both having brushed aluminum faceplates.
                                      I actually saw this review.They ran the rotel and the marantz with the same Martin Logan speaker system.And while the Marantz did great powering the ML's the rsx1057 was straining.

Comment

• artv4
                                        • Jun 2007

how loud do you listen to your system? are you mainly ht?

Comment

• rick c
                                          • Aug 2004

I'm about 80% HT/TV(hd sat) and rest music(2ch and dva/sacd).How loud well it varies not exremely loud but enough when i'm able.I noticed in your profile your running an amp with the rsx1056 why?

Comment

• artv4
                                            • Jun 2007

i got a great deal on the rotel rb991 that i could not pass up. before i got the rb991, i was running my 86db nht 2.5i's perfectly. the review you stated with the ml running with the rotel is weird. i bet you they were playing at a level that hardly anyone would be listening at in home. i mean its great criticism on the rotel, though, the subjective assement is not ideal for home.

Comment

• rick c
                                              • Aug 2004

I dont know but reviews can be taken with a grain of salt.But i dont know enough to say what reviews are more credible.Interesting thing they did both recievers with the same speakers and tests but different outcomes.

Comment

• artv4
                                                • Jun 2007

true. again, take the marantz home and just test it. dolby hd is awesome. i too am 80 ht 20 music.

Comment

• rick c
                                                  • Aug 2004

You know when i get it and have it setup and all i'll give you my thoughts.

Comment

• artv4
                                                    • Jun 2007

sounds like a plan!!!

Comment

• rick c
                                                      • Aug 2004

I was asked if i ended up getting the marantz sr8002,and yes i did.As a matter of fact i wish i had done it sooner.It is in my opinion a fantastic sounding reciever.I dont know if i just like the warmer sound/tone of the marantz but it also does everything great.Now that being said i have only had it for a little more than a week.I havent been able to really test with a full movie yet.Music i was able to somewhat do a better listenng session with a few cd's.I will say that this reciever bypassed the rsx1056 that it replaced.Both in 2channel and multi.Even dvda/sacd was outstanding.As good as i felt my rsx1056 was,i really feel the marantz surpassed it.I'm sure after more time/listenng is passed it will get even better.Of course this is only my pesonal opinion as to my preference.I'm sure others will disaggree with me, as it should be since we all have different tastes and preferences.
                                                      I also know we have loyal affectionados here as i was as well.So i hope i havent offended anyone.

Comment

• artv4
                                                        • Jun 2007

congrats man!!!

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"