X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rf5000
    • Mar 2010

Behringer A500

Hello All, I have a question concerning the Behringer A500. It says in its specifications that when driving 8 ohm speakers it produces 125 watts per channel. It seems to me that this is very low. So an Onkyo receiver that specifies 135 watts per seven channels at 8 ohms, actually puts out more wattage then these Behringer A500 amps. So buying four of these amps to run a 7.1 system would just be a waste and would be better off running them with an Onkyo 7.1 receiver? Please help.
  • rf5000
    • Mar 2010

Also, I am looking for the cheapest amplifiers that produce audiophile or reference sound at roughly 200 to 300 watts per channel at 8 ohms. Any ideas?

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

A 15 WPC difference will not impact the sound much. The two amplifiers will sound different, but the wattage is probably not a factor. A better place to start may be to get some information on what else is in your system. What speakers are you using? How big is your room? What listening levels do you expect to be operating?
      Danish

Comment

• rf5000
        • Mar 2010

I'm pretty sure the speakers will be (7) Definitive Technology in wall UIW RLS II speakers. They are rated at 50-350 watts. Here is the link:

Our obsession to build best-in-class audio products all starts in the home and is forever aligned to exceed your unrelenting expectations. Shop here.

I will also have one 15 inch 1200 watt sub along with a 12 inch 1200 watt sub for the low end. I was thinking of running (4) of these A500 amps for the (7) in walls, but then I looked at the wattage rating and saw they would only put out 125 per channel at 8 ohms. If the speakers are able to handle 350, I would like to go a little more. Unless the 125 watts from these A500 amps is pure clean power in respect that it may be twice as much as the receiver? I guess I could go the real expensive route and buy one A500 per speaker? I dont know.

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

There may be some (minor) advantage in having separate amps ony from the standpoint that you will have 4 power supplies instead of 1 with the receiver. As far as the needed power, the speakers are showing to be 92 dB efficient, which isn't bad. You might look into the Emotiva amps some people have been buying. There are numerous options you have, but I wouldn't base the final decision on a few WPC either way.

Also, I would think twice about getting 7 of those speakers. Possibly go with 3 for the front (for which they are designed) and then look at the RSS II model for the surrounds.
          Danish

Comment

• rf5000
            • Mar 2010

Why would you say going with (4) Rss II for the rears, because of cost? I dont want Bi Polar surrounds. I have enough distance between me and the sitting area where I dont have to. Anyways, dont you think seven of these woudl be awesome?

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

It is just a thought of diffuse vs. direct sound.
              Danish

Comment

• Glen B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by rf5000
                So an Onkyo receiver that specifies 135 watts per seven channels at 8 ohms, actually puts out more wattage then these Behringer A500 amps. So buying four of these amps to run a 7.1 system would just be a waste and would be better off running them with an Onkyo 7.1 receiver?
                No. The Behringer amps will very likely deliver or exceed their rated 125 watts @ 8 ohms, both channels driven, and double their output into 4 ohms, the latter which I don't expect the Onkyo AVR will do.

The Onkyo receiver, like most other mass market AVRs, will not deliver their rated power into all channels driven simultaneously, nor are they expected to. You may get the rated 135 watts from two channels driven simultaneously, but as more channels are driven, total output will drop. The power supplies are just not capable of delivering the necessary current to sustain full output in all channels at the same time.

That is fine though, since in real world use, you will never find all channels being called upon to deliver large amounts of power at the same time.

Comment

• kgveteran
                  • Oct 2005

Hello All, I have a question concerning the Behringer A500. It says in its specifications that when driving 8 ohm speakers it produces 125 watts per channel. It seems to me that this is very low. So an Onkyo receiver that specifies 135 watts per seven channels at 8 ohms, actually puts out more wattage then these Behringer A500 amps. So buying four of these amps to run a 7.1 system would just be a waste and would be better off running them with an Onkyo 7.1 receiver? Please help.
                  Separate amps always run better than the amps crammed into a receiver. Start with power supplies and caps and output transisters.

I run two a500's. The speakers are 4ohm and I get tons of great sound out them. The RCA inputs hum, I use the TRS input.

KG
                  Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• rf5000
                    • Mar 2010

Anyone know of QSC amps or are they just for PA systems? Dotheymake high quality sound amps for home theater? Also, I was looking at other mutichannel amps for sale. Would yourecommend running say four of these A500 amps or like a Carver or Adcom multi channel amp?

Comment

• Glen B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2004

Check with HT Guide Forum Member whoaru99. He runs QSC amps.

Comment

• Space
                        • Aug 2009

I have a couple of A500 amps and they work well. Power delivery is solid into 4 or 8 ohms. You can even bridge an amp with an 8 ohm load, and have higher power as a mono-block. I've done that with a dual-woofer sub, just to run one cable rather than two (two 4-ohm drivers in series). The value is pretty hard to beat. Other pro type amps will pretty much all have a cooling fan, so the convection only cooling on the A500 is a bonus. I like the volume knobs at the front. Using the balanced inputs is a good idea.

Comment

• kgveteran
                          • Oct 2005

Anyone know of QSC amps or are they just for PA systems? Dotheymake high quality sound amps for home theater? Also, I was looking at other mutichannel amps for sale. Would yourecommend running say four of these A500 amps or like a Carver or Adcom multi channel amp?
                          I use 4 QSC 1450's bridged for my subs. I'd like to get three QSC 850 and bridge them to run my mains. Tons of headroom, very clean sounding for the money. Pro audio really has a place in HT.

KG

Comment

• whoaru99
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Glen B
                            Check with HT Guide Forum Member whoaru99. He runs QSC amps.

Yes, it's true.

Two PLX 2402s for surround and back speakers and two PLX 3402s for fronts and center.

They've been modded with quieter fans. Other than fan noise concerns, which I knew going in, I'm very satisfied with them and they're not in any danger of being replaced any time soon. :T

To me, the amps sound great plus I have all the power I need...and then some.

There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• kgveteran
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by whoaru99
                              Yes, it's true.

Two PLX 2402s for surround and back speakers and two PLX 3402s for fronts and center.

They've been modded with quieter fans. Other than fan noise concerns, which I knew going in, I'm very satisfied with them and they're not in any danger of being replaced any time soon. :T

To me, the amps sound great plus I have all the power I need...and then some.

It took me awhile to understand headroom. Once you hear it, you'll be hooked.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"