X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimluu
    • Dec 2006

Why does my Behringer a500 sound tiny?

I hope it's ok to post this question here. I just bought a complete behringer system consisting of 3 a500 amps, the dcx 2496 and the deq 2496. I tested the amps by using one unbalanced output from my existing preamp, but all 3 a500s sound like tiny transistor radios. Am I doing something wrong?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Does you preamp output the 1.3 volts needed to drive a A500?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jimluu
      • Dec 2006

I have a Parasound P3. Drives my hifi amp just fine. The A500 is supposed to be mixed used hifi/pro. But good idea, I'll try to dig up the manual.

Comment

• jimluu
        • Dec 2006

I found the manual. The max output is 8v. I tried the balanced output, but still sounds tiny.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

There isn't like a highpass on that amp is there? I can't remember.

Comment

• jimluu
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
            There isn't like a highpass on that amp is there? I can't remember.
            No. No crossover on the preamp or the amp

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

When you say tiny are you talking about the volume being low or the sound is just not big? What speakers do you have it connected to? What is your source? Have you tried other sources?

Comment

• jimluu
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
                When you say tiny are you talking about the volume being low or the sound is just not big? What speakers do you have it connected to? What is your source? Have you tried other sources?
                By tiny I mean it sounds like a transistor radio. Absolutely no bass at all, even at max volume. My source is a cambridge audio cd player, a Parasound P3 preamp. My speakers are an a pair of wharfdales.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

You have in input level controls on the amp turned up so the LEDs are lighting up?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jimluu
                    • Dec 2006

I just got it to work. I had it in stereo mode, buy only used one input and one speaker. I just hooked up the other pair of speakers, now sounds fine. Weird. All of the amps that I've ever owned works fine when using only one channel even in stereo mode

Comment

• Dennis H
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2002

I tested the amps by using one unbalanced output from my existing preamp, but all 3 a500s sound like tiny transistor radios. Am I doing something wrong?
                      Well, almost certainly you're doing something wrong since all the amps act the same. Kinda hard for us to troubleshoot it though considering we're hundreds of miles away and can't see how you have things hooked up.

Edit: do you have the gain controls on the amps turned up all the way?

Comment

• BluesDaddy
                        • Jun 2008

There are some switches on the back of the amp to set bridge mode, etc. Can't remember as I'm at work and mine is at home, but make sure you've set everything correctly.

Comment

• jimluu
                          • Dec 2006

Thanks everyone for your help. Everything is working fine now. I compared these amps to my current hifi set up: parasound halo p3/a23/jaton/krell. In general these amps are very good for the $160 price. It does sound slightly harsh on the high end compared to the hifi options and the bass is just a touch lean. Not really noticeable unless doing a/b comparison. Maybe they'll smooth out after breaking in. They also make speakers pop when turning on or off. Overall not bad for the price.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                            • Nov 2004

If you don't mind me asking what are the DCX2496 and DEQ2496 handling in your setup?

Comment

• BluesDaddy
                              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by jimluu
                              Thanks everyone for your help. Everything is working fine now. I compared these amps to my current hifi set up: parasound halo p3/a23/jaton/krell. In general these amps are very good for the $160 price. It does sound slightly harsh on the high end compared to the hifi options and the bass is just a touch lean. Not really noticeable unless doing a/b comparison. Maybe they'll smooth out after breaking in. They also make speakers pop when turning on or off. Overall not bad for the price.
                              Hmmm, I use mine for my DIY Adire Tempest sealed sub. Obviously no high end harshness noticeable there, but there's no pop or thump when turning it on or off. A great little amp for the money, IMO.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

You have Parasound and Krell amps but you bought a Behringer to use?

Comment

• jimluu
                                  • Dec 2006

I have a decent 2 channel hifi system which I use regularly. I bought this further my hobby in building speakers. The 3 a500 handles h/m/l from the dcx. The deq gives a bit more flexibility in terms of eq and I plan to use the RTA to do crude measurements. Got a fantastic deal on this set up so I just can't turn it down. Basically I emailed musicians friend and let them know some of the shipping problems that I experienced last year during their warehouse move. They emailed me a 20% coupon. Coupled with the 'refurbed' equip. I got my entire setup with 4 xlr pairs, extended warranty, free shipping, etc....came to just ~$900. This is lower than 'wholesale' prices. Just couldn't turn it down. Their refurbs btw are not used....they said that the equipment may have been outdated for some reason and the manufacturer took them back to for updating purposes, but can't sell them as new. My dcx and deq looks brand new and still had the plastic protector on the display.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"