X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lurkalot
    • Dec 2005

Emotiva Quality?

Hello there,

I have a Yamaha RX-V4600 HT receiver that does not appear to like the 4 Ohm load of my Dayton DIY speakers; it has just 6 & 8 ohm settings.

I have been looking at the various amplifier options available, somewhat tending towards an NAD M25, but that is about $3,500 Cdn. plus taxes.... :E

Many members here have purchased Emotiva products. Aside from their excellent value- what are they like for build and sound quality? Would the NAD outshine the Emotiva products by miles? The reality is the vast majority of audio amplifiers and other products are manufactured in China- many in the same build houses.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. ;x(
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

NAD... no not really.

The quality is top notice from what I've seen and they perform at the "Low to mid range HIGH-FI"

IMO you'd do very well with them. Emotiva is very good for it's price.

I found the musicality to be slightly different than my Rotel gear, enough that it didn't warrant the "change over" to them. But had I not had the Rotel gear, I would've been perfectly happy with them. Their XPA-1 mono blocks are very nice and perform very similar to the Rotel RB-1090 (no slouch of an amp).

I'd say get them over the NAD, it'll be cheaper for you and you really won't notice much of a difference (especially if you can't A/B them both in your house).
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
      • Oct 2009

Buy a UPA-7 for $699 and be done with it. Use your Yamaha as a Preamp. If that is not enough power for you add an XPA-2 to the Left/Rights or even a pair of XPA-1's. I would bet that going from the power of your Yamaha to the UPA-7 will elicit lots of smiles and be all you ever need though.
      "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
      -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

The only thing you will notice with using the Yamaha as a preamp is that the pre-outs on almost all Yamahas are pretty low voltage so you'll be turning the yamaha volume up to get the same level of sound. Which at first is a little bit confusing and is a mind trick you'll have to get over. But it will help out and eventually you'll move to a new pre.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Emotiva amps are really nice! They're built like tanks, and the sound quality is way beyond the price. I highly recommend their amps.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

I have an XPA5 with four Statements Monitors and a Statements Center. The system is awesome! Very very nice, and as said the amp is built like a tank. You might want to figure the price of your hernia surgery into the final cost :P

Their customer service is awesome as well. I lost the power cable during a move and they overnighted me a new one free of charge! Great company, great products. Can't go wrong with them.
            -Chuck

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"