X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • artv4
    • Jun 2007

Home Theater Subwoofer

hi everyone!!!!! im in the market for a new home theater sub. just wondering what everyone is currently using and why.

currently using two subs for my home theater:

velodyne hgs-12x & velodyne spl-10bv

the velodyne's due awesome with 2-channel audio. very precise and accurate. though, im missing the bottow end/loudness i need for movies.
    GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

artv4,

I currently have a JL Audio Fathom F112. I got it about 6 months ago.
    Interestingly, it replaced a Velodyne DD18. The DD18 is a great sub. But my observation about it in my HT room was the same as you have about you your subs. It didn't slam me when I thougth it would. The DD18 was quite good in stereo mode (suprisingly good given the size of it).

The F112 solved the slam problem. And it was even better in stereo. The first time I really hear subtle, really refined bass. And then it would smack me upside the head. Truly a reference sub.

How big is your room?

The JL Audio lineup is not inexpensive (although I believe price/performance to be excellent). Since you like the Velodynes, a DD12 or DD15 might do the trick. It has a room correction feature that is good. Used ones would save some money.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I use dual SVS PC-Ultra subs. I feel that SVS gives you the most bang for your buck. Good stuff.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• artv4
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by htsteve
        artv4,

I currently have a JL Audio Fathom F112. I got it about 6 months ago.
        Interestingly, it replaced a Velodyne DD18. The DD18 is a great sub. But my observation about it in my HT room was the same as you have about you your subs. It didn't slam me when I thougth it would. The DD18 was quite good in stereo mode (suprisingly good given the size of it).

The F112 solved the slam problem. And it was even better in stereo. The first time I really hear subtle, really refined bass. And then it would smack me upside the head. Truly a reference sub.

How big is your room?

The JL Audio lineup is not inexpensive (although I believe price/performance to be excellent). Since you like the Velodynes, a DD12 or DD15 might do the trick. It has a room correction feature that is good. Used ones would save some money.

Hope this helps.
        the room is about 16/22. i thought of just purchasing the sms-1. ya the sealed/servo subs from velodyne are awesome for music/stereo. though, i feel im missing that slam from movies

Comment

• artv4
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Chris D
          I use dual SVS PC-Ultra subs. I feel that SVS gives you the most bang for your buck. Good stuff.
          im actually looking into svs subs. i met the person who engineers the flow ports for svs

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I also have an SVS (20-39cs). Like Chris, I think it is a solid bang for the buck.

I also think it is a very good performer. Slams when it should and musical when called upon. No one note bass here.

OTOH, I don't try to kid myself or others about it either. It is a very good sub...period! But mine is one of their first models. Thus, it still has the original driver. Since it was made, they have upgraded woofers and cabinets a few times over. So, I cannot speak to the current models.

Also, there are really a lot of goods sub these days from many companies. Kind of hard to say, this or that one is so much better. But with that said, would love to try an offering from JL Audio. Their owners seem very satisfied with them.
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by artv4
              the room is about 16/22. i thought of just purchasing the sms-1. ya the sealed/servo subs from velodyne are awesome for music/stereo. though, i feel im missing that slam from movies

This SMS is a good tool. It might help with the slam issue if there are low points in the room. Also, bass traps are another way to improve the in room bass response without sacrificing he quality.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• mr.hidef
                • Sep 2009

http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=2_41 .......here. :T
                SONY SXRD KDS-50A2000
                ONKYO TX-SR805 - cooling by Antec
                SONY BDP-S560
                MONSTER HDP-2500
                Klipsch Reference IV 7.1
                Dual eD A2-300's
                HARMONY 1000

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"