X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stewfoo
    • Jul 2005

Velodyne DD18 or REL Stentor???

I have the REL Stentor III its only a few months old. Its great for music, But, I dont think that it has the Slam and Impact that I was looking for from a Sub. Has anyone A/B tested the stentor VS. the DD18 ???? Can anyone share any thoughts about trading in the stentor for the DD 18?? Pros and cons would be appreciated
    Stew
    rotel 1095 amp
    rotel 1068 proc
    Rotel 1072 CD
    B&W 803s mains
    B&W Htm3s center
    B&W ccm80 ceiling surrounds
    Rel Stentor III
    Stew
  • Fishy
    • Jul 2004

Stew, have a look here. There have been a couple of test days of various subs, with the results given.

Makes for some lite reading.

Fish

Comment

• stewfoo
      • Jul 2005

Thanks Fish! Great insight .... Sounds like you Euros dont have much love for REL. Is it because it is a Velodyne sponsored forum? Or are they pretty objective?
      Stew
      Stew

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Or are they pretty objective?
        This forum is objective and so are those results. They were done outside where no room boundaries could affect the sound.

Based on the Velodyne EQ and the DD's ability to play loud and low, the DD is the clear choice.

Comment

• Fishy
          • Jul 2004

Stew, the Rel's seem to be more of a musical sub, where as the Velodynes have moved with the times and embraced techincal updates. Rel appear to have rested to long, and not kept things as up to date as the competition.

Fish

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Originally posted by Fishy
            the Rel's seem to be more of a musical sub.
            I agree. My friend's REL Storm 5 is very musical. Every note clear and distinct.

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Stewfoo,

It seems that you must decide are you primarily HT or music. If you are predominately HT, Velodyne hands down, if will shake your socks. Rel as previously mentioned is primarily a musical sub. Determine a ratio i.e. 80%-HT and 20%-Music (my ratio), listen to both, and then make your decision.

Personally, I would get the Velodyne, based on my above ratio, and adjust for music accordingly.

Option B get both.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"