X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xyrium
    • Nov 2009

Can I use just one channel of my amp?

Hey guys,

I might be using a 4ohm sub shortly. However, my amp doesn't run bridged very happily into 4ohm loads. Does anyone see anything wrong with running the sub off of just one of the stereo channels while leaving the other channel unloaded?

Thanks!
    Paul
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sort of depends in the amp, most are fine not having a load on both channels, others are not so happy...

The best answer would come from the amp mfgrs customer service rep.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• theblue
      • Dec 2009

maybe it's a sign you need a second sub?
      Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
      rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
      B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
      a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• xyrium
        • Nov 2009

Thanks Thomas, I did send them an email yesterday. Crossing my fingers that they say it's no problem.

theblue: Please, this hobby continues to bankrupt me! However, I did consider stacking a pair in one box.
        Paul

Comment

• JustinGN
          • May 2009

Wait, you mean your sub isn't powered? o.O

Comment

• xyrium
            • Nov 2009

LOL, that's correct, if you're asking if I bought a prefab subwoofer system. I'm using a dbx Driverack 260 to filter and PEQ, out to a either an Adcom GFA555es, or Crown CDi1000 to power the sub. This is for accurate music reproduction, not SPL.
            Paul

Comment

• whoaru99
              • Jul 2004

The CDi 1000 specs seems to indicate 4-ohm bridged compatibility.

OTOH, I ran a Yamaha M-80 amp for years using only one of its channels for a center speaker and it's fine.
              There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• xyrium
                • Nov 2009

Thanks for your reply. I suppose I'm trying to squeeze out every last possible potential out of the amp. If I run that unit bridged into 4 ohms, THD rises to 1.0% I believe. Maybe I'm nitpicking though...
                Paul

Comment

• whoaru99
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by xyrium
                  Thanks for your reply. I suppose I'm trying to squeeze out every last possible potential out of the amp. If I run that unit bridged into 4 ohms, THD rises to 1.0% I believe. Maybe I'm nitpicking though...
                  Yes, I think so...considering 1% is at full rated power and that 1% is well below what I understand to be the audible level of distortion at subwoofer frequencies, and well below that which the typical subwoofer itself contributes.
                  There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"