X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saggas
    • Mar 2006

8ohm speakers off 4ohm amp.

haha. now im a newbie when it comes to things like this.
    its nearly summer here and ive got a van, and im considering throwing a couple of these

into the back for beach parties stuff like that. Only problem is, all car amps I can find are 4ohm. Would this seriously affect performance? Could i bridge an amp to make it 8ohm?

EDIT.......
    or.. the van has dual batteries, could I run an inverter into that, and run an 8ohm house amp off that?

cheers
  • jmaidhof
    • Aug 2006

you will lose 3 dB, that's it. This is half power, so if the 8ohm speakers can handle 100 watts each then run a 200watt/ch@4ohm or better car amp and you should be good to go

Comment

• Amphiprion
      • Apr 2006

Inverters are WAY pricey. Just use a car amp. It'll be a very easy load for it to drive.

Comment

• Brian Walter
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Saggas
        Only problem is, all car amps I can find are 4ohm. Would this seriously affect performance? Could i bridge an amp to make it 8ohm?

cheers
        Actually your idea is quite good but not technically correct. Bridging the amp won't make it into an 8 ohm amp, but it will make your 8 ohm speaker appear as a 4 ohm speaker to each leg of the bridged amp.

But there is one more thing, you are talking about 2 speakers. So if you wire the two 8 ohm speakers in parallel they will appear to an amplifier the same as a single 4 ohm speaker. So if you buy an amp that can handle driving a 4 ohm speaker in bridged mode, you are all set.

Brian Walter

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"