X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobhowell
    • Jul 2008

What will 15w/4ohm amp drive

I am looking at a a 2x15/4ohm watt Pyle amp from PE, for my daughter. I want to understand just what it will drive. Also, HD seems high, but I guess its ok.

I made Zaph's BAMTM which is 4ohms. Will it drive that? Or ZBM4/8ohm for the short term?

I am looking at eventually making a small MTM I 've got some info on. Or Lou's Amethyst/4ohm- 4".

Sims in Unibox seem to show 96db at 15 watts. If I have my units right that will drive her out of her Bedroom. Do I have that right?

Thanks for help,

Bob Howell
  • cotdt
    • Oct 2005

In actual speakers, the load is reactive so there is a high possibility that you can get bass clipping after only a couple watts from the amp. I would recommend a more powerful amp. They should not be too expensive.

Comment

• augerpro
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2006

I doubt you are interpreting that sim correctly, particularly since they do not include baffle loss. What drivers are these?

Also if you need small (seems to be what you want?) than the T-amps from Sonic something or other are pretty popular.
      ~Brandon 8O
      Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
      Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
      DriverVault
      Soma Sonus

Comment

• fjhuerta
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2006

Yeah, I'd rather get a t-amp. I have one in front of me. It sounds fantastic.
        Javier Huerta

Comment

• cotdt
          • Oct 2005

I have T-Amps from 15W to 500W. The Sonic Impact T-Amp I measured to only output about 10W at 4ohms before clipping. It clips easily, doesn't get loud enough for normal listening. It's only usable for horn speakers IMHO.

Comment

• alias2
            • Oct 2008

I assume this the amplifier in question. Output is 2 x 3 watts rms into 4 ohms.
            In other words around 10dB less than a proper 2 x 15W into 8 ohms amplifier.
            Effectively < 2W into 8 ohms is not going to drive anything convincingly.

There are much better choices, it depends on what you actually need.

Comment

• bobhowell
              • Jul 2008

I am running sims on MCM55-3853 in MTM ( From ZBM4) setup; and Amethyst, TM 4ohm, from Lou's speaker site, which he made for the Sonic T Amp. Both show 96 db at 15 watts, vented. Won't this be more than enough volume? This would be used in her bedroom, in a house she shares with two girls, so just what will she want, 80-85 db? This is for Ipod or laptop.

Sounds like most like the Sonic G2 T Amp at $59. But what do you think about the Pyle 2x15 watt, at $35? Looks the same but I am not good at spotting problems and I have never used one this small.

Thanks for the help,

Bob

Comment

• bobhowell
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by alias2
                http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=248-460#

I assume this the amplifier in question. Output is 2 x 3 watts rms into 4 ohms.
                In other words around 10dB less than a proper 2 x 15W into 8 ohms amplifier.
                Effectively < 2W into 8 ohms is not going to drive anything convincingly.

There are much better choices, it depends on what you actually need.
                Thanks. This is what I need. Sounds like the Sonic G2 T Amp is better.

Comment

• bobhowell
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by augerpro
                  I doubt you are interpreting that sim correctly, particularly since they do not include baffle loss. What drivers are these?

Also if you need small (seems to be what you want?) than the T-amps from Sonic something or other are pretty popular.
                  I am looking at MCM55-3853 in MTM setup and the TB 4ohm 4" driver in Amethyst, from Lou's Speaker site.

I do want to know if I am interpreting it correctly. I will work on posting my Unibox graph in a while.

Thanks

Bob

Comment

• bobhowell
                    • Jul 2008

Unibox graph. Don't know how this will turn out. Size was off last time.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• bluewizard
                      • Mar 2008

I think first we need to establish what the purpose is. How are you going to use this amp and why have you chosen this specific amp?

Also, what is the source? CD? iPod? Computer? TV? All of the above? None of the above? ...

My next though is, why don't you just buy a basic stereo amp or receiver? A fair basic receiver is only about $100, and would give you a lot more flexibility and more features than a basic minimal low-feature amp like the Parts Express amp suggested.

Check out this low end Insignia with an alleged 100watts per channel from Best Buy -

Yes, it's more than twice the money, but it's more than four times the amp with multiple inputs, tone controls, and a AM/FM receiver. You could probably do even better on Ebay or from some other source. The Best Buy example was just quick and easy.

So, my real question is, without understanding the context of your needs, purpose, and your intended use of the amp, it is hard to make any real recommendations.

Steve/bluewizard

Comment

• bobhowell
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by bluewizard
                        I think first we need to establish what the purpose is. How are you going to use this amp and why have you chosen this specific amp?

Also, what is the source? CD? iPod? Computer? TV? All of the above? None of the above? ...

My next though is, why don't you just buy a basic stereo amp or receiver? A fair basic receiver is only about $100, and would give you a lot more flexibility and more features than a basic minimal low-feature amp like the Parts Express amp suggested.

Check out this low end Insignia with an alleged 100watts per channel from Best Buy -

Yes, it's more than twice the money, but it's more than four times the amp with multiple inputs, tone controls, and a AM/FM receiver. You could probably do even better on Ebay or from some other source. The Best Buy example was just quick and easy.

So, my real question is, without understanding the context of your needs, purpose, and your intended use of the amp, it is hard to make any real recommendations.

Steve/bluewizard
                        This is for my daughter's room in a house she shares with 2 other girls. So, small is important! She is using a little Ipod device( 2" full range mono!!!) now and likes it because of the size. I am going to suggest she hook it to her laptop, because all her music is there and an Ipod connector alone cost $100, with no amp.She gets all her music from downloads through the laptop.

She is 26 and Dad is trying to calibrate her ears. I have a receiver similar to the Insignia from Best Buy, but it is too large.

Once I pick an amp I will make speakers, custom, for it. The two mentioned above are my current choices. I too resisted putting this money in a limited amp, but it is what is practical for the girl. We all deal with WAF, but now I have DAF also. Decor and clothes are their life.

Thanks

Bob

Comment

• pedroskova
                          • Mar 2007

You might look into BrianGT's chipamp kits over on DIYaudio. They can be made small. Also, 41Hz.com and others offer "digital" amp kits that would be no bigger than the Pyle while actually making music...

Comment

• bobhowell
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by pedroskova
                            You might look into BrianGT's chipamp kits over on DIYaudio. They can be made small. Also, 41Hz.com and others offer "digital" amp kits that would be no bigger than the Pyle while actually making music...
                            I have looked at these and have not made sense of them yet. The options offered are greek to me. I have not figured out what, one, to suit my needs, will cost. I am going to figure it out someday but not by Christmas.

I saw one niffty model, but then found it cost $1500., so I want to be careful.

Thanks

Bob

Comment

• djg
                              • May 2008

Like I said over at PE forum, I am running a pair of ZBM4s off a Sonic T amp, new style w/ power supply. Loud, but not ear splitting.

You could make a pair of speakers based on D. Kuzma's Podzuma project, on the PE project list. These look to be very efficient. Or a pair of Chang style full range speakers like they love over at diy audio forum. Also very efficient.

Comment

• augerpro
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2006

I thought you were saying 96dB at 1 watt. Disregard my comments. Any small speaker using that MCM driver would probably be fine in a bedroom. Since the source is a laptop, that T-amp should work well also in a small room.
                                ~Brandon 8O
                                Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                DriverVault
                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• bobhowell
                                  • Jul 2008

Thanks folks. I will go with the Sonic T Amp and 2 ZBM4 speakers, and the MTM with MCM 55-3853 driver to come later. Maybe a sub also.

Bob

Comment

• bobhowell
                                    • Jul 2008

I got her a Sonic T Amp and made two speakers with Fostex FE107E drivers from Madisound. The setup is amazing and more than fills my test room of 16x13. I run it with Roman's Cerebus sub.

I saw the drivers on special and took a flier on two. I built the 7 L box, tuned to 93HZ, sugested by Fostex. No additional filters or xover components. So, $35 for drivers is all they cost, and box construction.

This was my first experience with fullrange and I am amazed at the quality. I'm looking at more.

Thanks for the help and for the tip, from someone, somewhere, to look at Fostex drivers with their high efficiency.

Bob Howell

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"