X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • servicetech
    • Sep 2007

Using old receiver as a sub amp?

Have any of you used an old receiver as a "sub amp"? I was thinking it would be cheaper than buying a "plate amp". Run the sub out of main A/V receiver into the 2nd receiver, then output to a passive sub woofer.
  • peter_m
    • Sep 2007

Should work just fine. Nothing special about a sub amp other then they have more power and don';t need to perform at high frequencies since they never have to reproduce high frequencies. Another thing to keep in mind, the lower you want your sub to go, the more power and speaker surface you will need. In this case, you should just worry about the available power from the amp. If your old receiver's specs are overly optimistic as many are, then you might run out of power and might have to just turn down the volume. How old is your receiver? Usualy stuff from the 80s have more accurate specs. But it will work.
    Peter

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

This used to be the way to power buttkickers. For a sub though, I wouldn't expect to get enough power to be useful for a sub.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• brent_s
        • Jun 2006

No problems at all, with this idea. SVS actually used to suggest this as a way to power their passive cylinders when they first came out. I think the specific receiver they tested with was some $100 KLH stereo unit.

"Enough power" is a function of the alignment's efficiency and your desired SPL.

My living room system's sub amp is an early '90s vintage Yamaha RX-V850 Dolby ProLogic receiver rated at 80 wpc for the fronts. Yamaha was nice enough to include amp inputs for the front L/R channels on the 850, bypassing all preamp functions. Subs are a pair of 2.8 ft^3 sealed original NHT1259 drivers. At 17' to the subs in a 22x20x9 room that's open to a lot of the rest of the house, my ears give up before the receiver or drivers do. YMMV. :-)

-Brent

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"