X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xyrium
    • Nov 2009

Need an amp for active setup

I'm looking for suggestions on used or new amps that have balanced XLR imputs. It will be used to power a pair of SS 6600 tweets. So, I'm not looking for 5kW of power. 50-100W/ch should be fine. $500 limit.

I realize there are many "Pro" amps out there. However, the only one that seems to be reasonable is the Art SLA1 or 2. Some of the pro amps have distortion above 1%, and those aren't being considered. I have a Parasound A23 that I enjoy and will be using for the woofers. A B&K Ref 125 would be fine, used of course. Any other ideas?

Tks,
    Paul
    Paul
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by xyrium
    I'm looking for suggestions on used or new amps that have balanced XLR imputs. It will be used to power a pair of SS 6600 tweets. So, I'm not looking for 5kW of power. 50-100W/ch should be fine. $500 limit.

I realize there are many "Pro" amps out there. However, the only one that seems to be reasonable is the Art SLA1 or 2. Some of the pro amps have distortion above 1%, and those aren't being considered. I have a Parasound A23 that I enjoy and will be using for the woofers. A B&K Ref 125 would be fine, used of course. Any other ideas?

Tks,
    Paul
    You could always try the emo route . I have the xpa5 and it powers my rf-7s without blinking...though I don't the lower end upa-2 has xlr inputs

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• xyrium
      • Nov 2009

Thanks Maseline. The XPA line does seem impressive, and carries balanced inputs. I wonder what the used market for an XPA-2 is. I'll have to check them out. Thanks!
      Paul

Comment

• xyrium
        • Nov 2009

Ok guys. I found an Art SLA2, which is a 200W/ch amp with balanced connections for 289 at B&H. Though it has a thermal fan, they have been known not to be necessary given the heatsinking. Yes, 200W is a lot for tweeters, but I figured I'd run it at half gain, then place the locking plate on it once levels are set.
        Paul

Comment

• Space
          • Aug 2009

Is this an active system using the DCX? In this application there are a couple of advantages to pro amps like the ART. You get the XLR inputs and a suitable input sensitivity, and you get volume control for level adjustment. It can be useful to set amplifier channels to different gain levels (highs vs. lows). And it's always helpful to use the gain adjustment to optimize the output quality from the DCX. Run the crossover outputs as hot as possible and then pull down the amplifiers to suit your listening levels. Let us know how you like the ART amp, and if the fans are ever noticeable.

Comment

• MannyE
            • Dec 2000

I was going to suggest finding a couple of used Crown mono rack mount amps, but what you found is good too. Although the Crowns would have been cheap and I love them.

Here is what I mean:

http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/scripts/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=23441&ck=&userid=16579 006&userpw=ytxCz9&uh=16579006,2,Manuel&uzip=33140& ver=3.0

Comment

• xyrium
              • Nov 2009

Thanks guys. Space, this will be used with a dbx Driverack 260. Similar to the Berry stuff. Thanks for the tips!

Manny, I have a Crown CDi1000 that I'll be using for a sub. I'm not sure I get their BCA class technology though. I' used to large transformers being a good thing in audio. However, these Crown amps have tiny EL xformers, though lots of TO type transistors.
              Paul

Comment

• xyrium
                • Nov 2009

Wired the amp in today. Immediately noticed background hum. Initially I thought it might be the fan or the transformer, so I popped the top and disconnected the fan. Powered it back up, and the hum was still present; definitely the transformer. Also, the fan powers on and operates as soon as you turn the amp on, not when it gets too hot and needs to cool down, and it's quite noticeable nearfield. Well, I tried, but this one is going back. I figured the Pro Audio route wouldn't be suitable for nearfield listening in a quiet area.
                Paul

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"