X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • franin
    • Jul 2006

Rotel Rmb 1585 Balanced issue

Hi there
    I bought 2 Rotel RMB 1585 which I picked up today and had found on both amps there is no signal on XLR cables. First solution I thought had to be the Marantz av 8801, I reset it a number of times made sure they're all XLR and nothing( Thoug. I even tried a crown xlr 1500 power amp and that worked on balanced. Next thing is I started to research how can 2 power amps brand new not work on XLR. I researched on forums and then noticed on another forum a member had the same issue. But then his installer tried unbalanced interconnects which worked and then they went back to XLR and it worked. So I decided to try that on one channel (FR) with the Unbalanced (RCA) it worked and when I switched back to XLR the FR was working this time : confused:

So what is the go with these power amps? I have two that suffer the same problem so I have to run them all first using RCA and then change them into Balanced? Is this a known issue?
  • windshear
    • Dec 2004

That does sound strange. I suspect there may be a configuration issue at play here. Are you using the amplifier via the trigger input for on/off control? One thing you should not do is run RCA and XLR inputs at the same time for any input on the amplifier.

Comment

• fromeo1973
      • Sep 2014

Rotel Rmb 1585 Balanced issue

Originally posted by windshear
      That does sound strange. I suspect there may be a configuration issue at play here. Are you using the amplifier via the trigger input for on/off control? One thing you should not do is run RCA and XLR inputs at the same time for any input on the amplifier.
      I'm not running the XLR and RCA the same time, the book states that quiet clearly. I have both Amps off on trigger control, though I did have them on originally when I started. I have tried different configurations. Suddenly by reading the other member experience by connecting the RCA first run the the test tones ( which worked )
      then power off everything removing the RCA and replacing it with XLR that channel worked.

Edit : why has my name changed to fromeo1973. I'm using tapatalk

Comment

• fromeo1973
        • Sep 2014

I have to ask is the trigger part of the problem? Thanks for replying btw.

Comment

• franin
          • Jul 2006

Sorry guys went through tapatalk and came out with a different name. Confused as why it did that. But update, showing sales rep tomorrow and go from there

Comment

• franin
            • Jul 2006

Found out the issue. I didn't remove the RCA plugs caps. But all good now.

Comment

• windshear
              • Dec 2004

Im curious what these plugs look like, is there any chance you can post a picture?

Comment

• franin
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by windshear
                Im curious what these plugs look like, is there any chance you can post a picture?

Hi there will do tonight

Comment

• franin
                  • Jul 2006

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duct Cap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	859331Click image for larger version

Name:	Dust cap 2.jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	859332

As you can see I thought plugged into RCA they were Dust caps. Problem is when I swapped cord to try RCA it didn't occur to me at the time pulling out the dust cap that it was an RCA Cap, I guess annoyed that XLR wasn't woking. Didn't mention it in the Manual either.

Comment

• windshear
                    • Dec 2004

That is very interesting. I remember on the RMB1095 they had similar shorting plugs (with a small resistor inside), they were only supposed to be used when one used the DB25 plug. At least that manual made reference to it.

Comment

• franin
                      • Jul 2006

The manual made no reference. It got us all confused. I would like to mention fantastic power amps work really great. What a difference from the DENON POA A1HD power amp I had. Now I know why they call DENON bright and tinny

Comment

• TimbaLand
                        • Aug 2013

I have the same amp for a few months now. I wanted this to replace my RMB1095 for the centre and surrounds but it ended up replacing both the RMB1095 and the bigger RB1090 which I used to drive he fronts

Comment

• franin
                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by TimbaLand
                          I have the same amp for a few months now. I wanted this to replace my RMB1095 for the centre and surrounds but it ended up replacing both the RMB1095 and the bigger RB1090 which I used to drive he fronts
                          They're good power Amps. I'm very happy with them

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411718382.405172.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	859392

Comment

• TimbaLand
                            • Aug 2013

Nice. What' speakers and processor do you have?

Comment

• franin
                              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by TimbaLand
                              Nice. What' speakers and processor do you have?
                              I've moved to B&W CT 7.3 for LCR and 7.5 for surrounds. Im not into 2 channel music ( I hear it everyday at work ). Currently using a Marantz av8801 pre amp

Comment

• TimbaLand
                                • Aug 2013

Nice setup

Comment

• franin
                                  • Jul 2006

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"