Problem connecting Onkyo HT S 3200 - help please?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • costafinkel
    • Dec 2009

Problem connecting Onkyo HT S 3200 - help please?

Okay, I hooked all cables right.

Now, when I press the button for "A" speakers, the two back speakers function perfectly. Then when I press the button for "B" speakers (getting it on AB) it not only doesnt play the other two speakers, but actually get 100% mute.

What's going on?

I also realized that the DTS logo disapears when not only on A.

I have an optical cable coming from the dvd to the receiver and an hdmi from dvd to the tv.

Please, help me urgently.
  • costafinkel
    • Dec 2009

okay, I resseted the receiver.

now, on A only the subwoofer works, and when I put B it keeps the same thing.. only the sub working.

Comment

• mackintire
      • Jan 2009

Carefully read the owners manual. Certain combinations are not available. I know that when I turn on channel B my rear surrounds turn off, but that info IS in the manual. In my units case it will ONLY drive 7 speakers. The set on channel B IS channels 8-9 so the rears speakers turn off.

Comment

• costafinkel
        • Dec 2009

yeah, but now only the subwoffer is working.

Comment

• costafinkel
          • Dec 2009

Okay, let's go :

first I made a mistake I connected the front speakers to the "B Speakers" connectors. I have just changed them for the left connectors where it reads "A Speakers".

Now everything, should okay, right? but it isnt ; [..

I set the speakers to A and the sound to Direct.

Now I've done the white noise test and got the following:

WORKING: Surround Right, Surrond Left, Front Left, Subwoofer.
          NOT WORKING: Front Right, Central.

but everything is connected 100% now.

Somebody told me I could have fried them by pressing the "A" and "B" buttons repeatdly while I was testing. Is that possible?

Comment

• costafinkel
            • Dec 2009

okay, I was already quite in despair, so I start on doing all kinds of tests.. and FORTUNATELY in one unusual test I put the friggin' machine to work perfectly. I was actually, very reluctant to do that test because IT, could actually really blow the speakers, but since I was hopeless and already thinking they were blown, I tried.

Here it is : All the cables get divided in two on the edge, right? These two extremities on both sides will connect on the speaker and on the receiver jack. On each side, the division is one colored and one half-colored, half-black. For example: Each end of the blue cable has one part blue, and the other blue and black.

So, narturally I connected the blue part on the hole that had a blue jack in the speaker, and the blue-and-black on the hole with a black jack also on the speaker. And of, course, I did exactly the same on the receiver jacks, cuz I understand that you gotta stick the exactly same part of the cable on the speaker and the receiver, because of the polarity, and a switched cable could even blow the speaker, right???

So, I checked and re-checked all the connections and they were all 100% CORRECT, with the polarities completely right. At a stage of despair and complete bleakness I tried the absurd : I switched the sides of the cables of the red (front right) and green (central) and BINGO!!! Everything is working!!!!...

What would you understand by that?? A defect on the cables? Can this lead to a problem in near future?

Thank you Mkntire, and I lay here all these question and particular solution for everybody else that encounter similar problems.

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

I would guess poor connections as the original problem. I have an Onkyo receiver and they have the worst binding posts I've ever dealt with. Had a couple issues with the HTIB speaker spring clips , also. Glad it works for you!
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"