X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Parasound JC-2 Press Release

Parasound has put out a new press release on the JC-2. While you're over there, you may want to check out the rest of their PR website--lots of good info there. New stuff on the JC-2, pictures of the JC-2, D3, and other stuff in the "Photo Library", etc.

SAN FRANCISCO (6/20/07) -- Parasound, one of the world's most respected manufacturers of high performance audio/video components, is now shipping the JC 2 stereo preamplifier in its high-end Halo product family. The Parasound Halo JC 2 was designed and engineered by the legendary John Curl and CTC Builders team who have been responsible for some of the most highly regarded audio components of the past 25 years, including the acclaimed Parasound Halo JC 1 400-watt mono power amplifier.

The Parasound Halo JC 2 is a precision analog stereo preamplifier that audiophiles will use to switch between audio source components and to control the output level of the connected power amplifier. While this role may seem relatively simple, many designers and engineers have devoted lifetimes to getting it right.

According to Parasound's president, Richard Schram, "We conceived the Halo JC 2 in the spirit of the JC 1, commissioning John Curl to design a two-channel preamplifier without compromise. The resulting product achieves a higher level of sonic and measured performance than any preamplifier since Parasound was founded in 1981. The sound of the Halo JC 2 is alive with musical detail against a silent background that will give serious audiophiles both the opportunity and desire to re-explore their music collections."

The Parasound Halo JC 2 reflects Curl's genius for circuit design and performance, expressed through Parasound's obsession with quality, functionality and value. The JC 2 employs fully-balanced inputs and outputs with professional-grade XLR audio interconnections for the lowest possible levels of noise and distortion. It also has standard un-balanced connections, plus exceptional facilities for interfacing with integrated home control, remote control and other modern integration technologies.

The Halo JC 2 has a total of six line-level inputs, with two of those switchable for balanced or unbalanced connections. The main output jacks have both balanced XLR connectors and unbalanced RCA connectors. When used with power amplifiers that invert polarity the user can maintain absolute polarity, either by using the rear-panel inverted output jacks or by using the main output jacks and the polarity invert button on the included IR remote control. There are also fixed-level RCA record output jacks for connecting audio recording devices.

The infrared remote control has buttons for on/off, DC trigger activation, polarity normal/invert, volume, mute, and source selection. There are also tuning buttons for the Parasound Halo T 3 FM/AM tuner. Custom installers and systems integrators will appreciate the inclusion of an RS-232 interface, four 12-Volt Triggers, and remote control repeater input and loop out jacks. The RS-232 interface allows bi-direction communications with home automation and control systems such as Crestron, AMX, Control4, Niles, and Elan.

The Parasound Halo JC 2 is now available from select Parasound dealers. It has a suggested retail price of $4,000.

Founded in 1981, Parasound Products, Inc., is a privately owned U.S. company that specializes in providing affordable audio and home theater components to the critical listener. For more information and dealer locations, visit http://www.parasound.com or call 415 397-7100.

Parasound Halo JC 2 Audio Preamplifier Specifications

Frequency Response 5 Hz – 100 kHz, +0/-3 dB
    Distortion THD: < 0.003% at 100 Hz
    THD: < 0.005% at 20 kHz
    IM: < 0.003%
    S/N Ratio 116 dB, input shorted, IHF A-weighted
    104 dB, input shorted, unweighted
    Crosstalk > 100 dB at 10 kHz
    > 90 dB at 20 kHz
    Input Impedance Unbalanced: 30k Ω
    Balanced: 30k Ω per leg
    Output Impedance Unbalanced: < 60 Ω
    Balanced: < 60 Ω per leg
    Input Sensitivity 200 mV for 1 V output
    Total Gain: 14 dB
    Maximum Output: 8 V
    AC Power: 110 – 120 V or 220-240 V, 50 – 60 Hz
    (Set AC Voltage switch on rear panel)
    25 watt standby; 30 watts when turned on
    Dimensions Width: 17 1⁄4” (437 mm)
    Depth: 16” (406 mm)
    Height, with feet: 5 7⁄8” (150 mm)
    Height, without feet: 5 1⁄4” (133 mm)
    Weight Net: 24 lbs. (11 kg)
    Shipping: 36 lbs. (16.4 kg)
    Rack Mount Accessory HRA 3 (May be purchased separately)
    MSRP $4,000 (US)Specifications and features subject to change or improvement without notice.
    And here's a released blurb on the design of the JC-2:

Parasound Halo JC 2 Design Overview.

John Curl’s famously symmetrical circuits give the listener the best chance to experience the full emotional content of the source. In the JC 2 the physical implementation of the circuits closely follows the circuit topology and the layout is as literal as possible, commensurate with isolation of disparate or out-of-phase signals. All component parts are oriented for minimum interaction. The high current, low impedance audio power supply is larger than many power amplifiers, and is carefully integrated with the signal boards. The resulting musical output is rich with absolute musical authority and clarity.

The chassis and PCB layout of the JC 2 are uncompromised in their pursuit of the highest design goals for a preamplifier. The shortest signal path is achieved by placing the master volume control and individual channel level potentiometers and high quality gold-plated input select relays right where the input circuitry is located to eliminate the need for long wires and traces. Each channel is on a separate PCB. The preservation of low-level signals is achieved by the separation of critical audio signals from non-audio circuits. The audio power supply, control power supply and control circuits also have dedicated PCBs. To prevent the possibility of radiated noise getting into an audio circuit the power supplies and control functions are further isolated from each other by two 3/8 inch thick aluminum partitions that are the full height of the chassis and run side-to-side and front-to-back. The entire signal path is embedded on circuit boards in a continuous ground plane or carried in professional-grade Canare® shielded wires.

Even within the audio circuit’s power supply section, AC power is isolated from regulated power by placing the power transformer high in the chassis on one of the aluminum partitions. The power transformer is an R-core type, which has the advantage of a toroid transformer for minimizing radiated hum but is superior at preventing noise carried on the AC power line from passing into its secondary windings. Ground return paths are low resistance, with substantial planes and thick wires, and sequenced precisely. Non-audio control circuitry, LEDs, relay coils and the motor for the master volume control are powered by a separate power supply whose transformer has a separate ground return. The resulting extremely low noise levels enable musical nuances to overlay an utterly silent background.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • REOFan
    • Jan 2006

Chris - Thanks for the post. It prompted me--last week--to contact a nearby dealer and order a JC 2. With any luck I will have one soon. I've had a P/LD 2000 for nearly ten years. I've upgraded every other piece of my system except the preamplifier. I've been investigating several other brands, at various price points, but ultimately decided on the JC 2 (to match my JC 1s). Can't wait . . .

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

AWESOME, dude! :banana: Can't wait to hear back from you on how it does.

Color me jealous.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Zoran
        • Apr 2005

JC-2 seems to be awesome two-channel pre... Not eu prices available yet, but 4000USD doesn't look unrealistic. I would be happy with, say, 3500Eu MRSP for Europe.

REOfan, are you sure the first batch unit is good approach - in terms of reliability etc.? I can recall a handful of complains on initial batches of the JC1 power...

Comment

• REOFan
          • Jan 2006

Not Worried

Zoran -

I believe my JC 1s were first-batch and they are still running strong. If I encounter any problems I am confident Parasound--and my dealer--will support me. Also, I have corresponded with Richard Schram and talked to him in person. So I expect everything to be fine. I hope the synergy with the JC 1s will be special. We'll see . . .

Comment

• Zoran
            • Apr 2005

Good luck with the prospective new Parasound piece REOFan - look forward to share impresions with us overhere...

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by REOFan
              Zoran -

I believe my JC 1s were first-batch and they are still running strong. If I encounter any problems I am confident Parasound--and my dealer--will support me. Also, I have corresponded with Richard Schram and talked to him in person. So I expect everything to be fine. I hope the synergy with the JC 1s will be special. We'll see . . .

FWIW, the "problems" with the first JC-1s were very subtle. I recall that the major issue was a wrong brand of XLR connector used in addition to some other non-authorized parts (the Asian manufacturer had substituted a few parts without Parasound's concent). These issues caused a 200+++ hour burn-in requirement, etc. Very subtle issues, and if you don't know it, you will probably never realize that the "problems" exist(ed).

Peter

Comment

• nicholtl
                • Aug 2003

I still don't understand why "used" components and cables are cheaper when in actuality, they should be more expensive as they are "burned in."

Comment

• wildfire99
                  • Aug 2005

Heh... I was wondering to myself what component needs to be burned in for 200+ hours before it magically transmutates into a "good" part. Certainly I don't want to think there are 3 cent caps in my fancy JC-1 (not that I have one), but by the time 200 hours rolls around, I'm not really going to be objective about it.
                  - Patrick
                  "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by wildfire99
                    Certainly I don't want to think there are 3 cent caps in my fancy JC-1.
                    The incorrect parts were not necessarily cheaper than the correct parts. They were substitutions that on paper (when looking at the specifications) should be perfect substitutions, i.e. objectively technically equal or better parts.

The problem is apparently that even though the parts are "technically equal" they don't necessarily sound the same in a listening test...

Peter

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"