X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClosetSciFiGeek
    • Oct 2009

Built My Own RCA Cables for 7.1 RCA

I built these because I was appalled at what high end cables cost. I am in the Navy and have built cables for the control and operation of nuclear reactors on both Submarines and Aircraft Carriers. This is far easier. Parts Express sold me all the parts. I just bought an UPA-7 amplifier from Emotiva so my cable color choices should be obvious. I used the following parts:

RG-59 cable with copper shield
    Rean(Neutrik related brand) RCA connectors #NYS373
    1/2" Heat Shrink Tubing-3M brand #FP-301
    1/4" Neon Blue Techflex #082-328

I was most impressed with the Rean connectors. These were cheap(maybe inexpensive is a better term) and high quality. I was able to make them to a custom length to clean up all the wiring behind my cabinet and I think they look good. Here are a few pictures of one of the finished cables. I think I am going to build another 25 foot length XLR cable with microphone cable and the same neon blue techflex with Neutrik connectors to the exact length that I need. These ended up costing about $7 apiece and are a great bargain compared to high end cables.
    Attached Files
    "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
    -Hyman G. Rickover
  • ClosetSciFiGeek
    • Oct 2009

Finished all 7 this Morning

Had some time off so I have been building these and my ZDT3.5's. Took about two hours to do all seven of these. Should look nice with my UPA-7.
    Attached Files
    -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Armbender
      • Jul 2005

you may want to read the board rules concerning CatCables here...not sure if your post will be deleted, locked etc....
      Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ClosetSciFiGeek
        Had some time off so I have been building these and my ZDT3.5's. Took about two hours to do all seven of these. Should look nice with my UPA-7.
        Nice work.

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Those look nice, good work...
          Danish

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
            • Oct 2009

Thanks for the kind words about my cables. I hope you don't lock my thread. I don't think that I am in danger of stealing any sales from Cat Cables. Their stuff is on a whole 'nother level from what I built. They are using pure silver wire and silver connectors etc... The stuff I built looks good and works fine, but I am certain that their stuff is better looking and performing. Just trying to show what you need if you want to keep cables in a reasonable cost frame and make it look decent too and I supported and gave credit to another site advertiser, Parts Express(even included a picture of the parts I ordered from them).
            -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Armbender
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ClosetSciFiGeek
              Thanks for the kind words about my cables. I hope you don't lock my thread. I don't think that I am in danger of stealing any sales from Cat Cables. Their stuff is on a whole 'nother level from what I built. They are using pure silver wire and silver connectors etc... The stuff I built looks good and works fine, but I am certain that their stuff is better looking and performing. Just trying to show what you need if you want to keep cables in a reasonable cost frame and make it look decent too and I supported and gave credit to another site advertiser, Parts Express(even included a picture of the parts I ordered from them).
              they certainly do look great..should match your emotiva nicely...
              Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• dan87951
                • Nov 2005

Awesome job!
                dan87951
                audio guru

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

I dig it
                  B&W

Comment

• mr.hidef
                    • Sep 2009

Beautiful cables.....Besides, you never said you were selling them. You built them for yourself....... :W
                    SONY SXRD KDS-50A2000
                    ONKYO TX-SR805 - cooling by Antec
                    SONY BDP-S560
                    MONSTER HDP-2500
                    Klipsch Reference IV 7.1
                    Dual eD A2-300's
                    HARMONY 1000

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"