X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

Rca Or Balanced

I have a Monster power amp hooked up with a B&K ref 50 using balanced connections. The sound is good ,but sounded better with RCA Audioquest Cobra cables. I thought for sure that the balanced cables would be better, they are made by Bluejean cables. I don't know if I want to try another company or go back to the rca cables.

Does anyone think balanced cables are better
    Blake
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Balanced connections can improve SQ on long and/or noisy runs where all the equipment is of a "true" balanced design which most equipment isn't. In other words, most of the time your better off spending a given amount of dollars on higher quality RCA's rather than lower quality balanced cables IMO.
    Jason

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by aud19
      Balanced connections can improve SQ on long and/or noisy runs where all the equipment is of a "true" balanced design which most equipment isn't. In other words, most of the time your better off spending a given amount of dollars on higher quality RCA's rather than lower quality balanced cables IMO.
      Same thing I was going to say...
      Danish

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
        I agree. There are certain appllications when a tiny signal is making a long run where balanced make sense. Like microphones to a mixing panel, for instance. But looking at high end literature makes you feel like if you are not running balanced you are not a member of the high end club. That's just not true.

Sparky

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

I also concur with Jason, good RCA's, unless you have a lot of noise or long runs as previously stated.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• comeup
            • Jul 2005

Hey thanks guys I guess I'll be going back to the rca's I thought my ears might be playing tricks on me , but the balanced cables did sound a little muddy, I'm starting to become an audiofile scary,scary but fun. thanks for the replys.
            Blake

Comment

• comeup
              • Jul 2005

Went back to the rca's and I now realize that difference was huge that great sound is back. ........Thanks again
              Blake

Comment

• r100gs
                • May 2005

Originally posted by comeup
                I have a Monster power amp hooked up with a B&K ref 50 using balanced connections. The sound is good ,but sounded better with RCA Audioquest Cobra cables. I thought for sure that the balanced cables would be better, they are made by Bluejean cables. I don't know if I want to try another company or go back to the rca cables.

Does anyone think balanced cables are better
                Any interconnect can effect sound. Who knows what your system would sound like if you were using Audioquest Cobra XLR's? :W
                Jay

Comment

• ToddAnisman
                  • Apr 2005

Well, more likely he's hearing a poorly design differential input on the balanced input stage. There's a set of Op-amps there that can really screw up the sound. the Single ended input doesn't have them, so his transient response isn't getting whacked.

-Todd A.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
                    Yeah Todd, I agree. And it's not just those op amps. Any differential circuit offers huge challanges to the designer. If the circuit is not exaxctly balanced under all load conditions, at all frequencies and amplitudes, and at all temperatures it will produce artifacts (distortion). Some times I think people rave about an amplifier when what they ae really hearing is distortion produced by poorly designed differential circuits.

No doubt good differential circuits can be designed (I've heard them but they were very high end) but not inexpensively especially if discrete components are used as they should be. I am not a big fan of differential amps except those made by Audio Research who seems to have mastered the art/science.

Sparky

Comment

• ToddAnisman
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                      HI,
                      Yeah Todd, I agree. And it's not just those op amps. Any differential circuit offers huge challanges to the designer. If the circuit is not exaxctly balanced under all load conditions, at all frequencies and amplitudes, and at all temperatures it will produce artifacts (distortion). Some times I think people rave about an amplifier when what they ae really hearing is distortion produced by poorly designed differential circuits.

No doubt good differential circuits can be designed (I've heard them but they were very high end) but not inexpensively especially if discrete components are used as they should be. I am not a big fan of differential amps except those made by Audio Research who seems to have mastered the art/science.

Sparky
                      I agree, although I love Brystons....I have a 9B that I am in love with, although I do get GAS for a 6B/4B Combo... he he he.

I think Monster has the most brilliant marketing scheme in history, but their products are merely average. I think better can be had for less money.

-Todd A.

Comment

• Rolyasm
                        • Dec 2004

Another thing with Earthquake CineNova. It has XLR's but it isn't a balanced unit. So don't think you would hear a big differene if you went to higher end XLR's. Just my thought, but I may be wrong.
                        Roly

Comment

• comeup
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ToddAnisman
                          I agree, although I love Brystons....I have a 9B that I am in love with, although I do get GAS for a 6B/4B Combo... he he he.

I think Monster has the most brilliant marketing scheme in history, but their products are merely average. I think better can be had for less money.

-Todd A.
                          Todd the Monster amp sounds great with the RCA's and the XLR's its' a great amp and I think its well worth the money, just better with the RCA's maybe it's the B&K circuits maybe its the Monster circuits or maybe its the XLR's that I used, were always trying to make our systems sound better no matter how good they sound now, thats what we do. Someone told me recently to use balanced connections, that your whole system should be balanced dvd, cd, ect. I don't know how true that is just something someone told me.

Peace
                          Last edited by comeup; 15 December 2005, 23:59 Thursday.
                          Blake

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"