X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffc52053
    • Apr 2009

BD video quality

Hi All,

I've been enjoying a Samsung 61 inch 1080P television now for about six months and what's odd is my BD players (I have a Sony and a Samsung) don't measure up to over-the-air 1080i broadcasts. Even 720P over-the-air broadcasts look amazing. At 30 bucks a disk I'm pretty dissapointed. So I've tried changing the frame rate to 24 FPS and checked all the settings and everything is ok. I use a HDMI cable from the player to the TV and both the players up-convert standard DVD's which look as good as the Blue Ray disc.
    Am I missing something?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Either you have exceptional over the air broadcast quality (which we don't have in the SF Bay area), or there's something with the setup on your players, your set, or whatever- I have a couple of players, both selected for well above average picture quality, including DVD upscaling, and DVD looks NOWHERE near as good as Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Of course, Blu-Ray disk mastering is by no means a universally well done task, and in the earlier days of HD Sony and others were held to task for poor mastering quality compared with HD-DVD releases. (I have about 50 HD-DVD disks and a couple of the top of the line players with the HQ Realta chipsets from Toshiba, so I have a pretty good idea of how good HD-DVD can look, too).

A good place to check reviews of players for the fine points of video quality is Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity.

I'd suggest getting a calibration disk, or at least one of the Sony disks that has some setup/calibration patters. Use these to check for gray scale tracking and white balance.

Be sure both the player and the TV are setup for 1080P outputs- cross scaling will kill resolution faster than you can say "Minnie Mouse". Again, a calibration disk will help spot problems.

Even well recorded TV shows on Blu Ray such as Dexter or Heros will show off the benefits of the medium, to say nothing of good movies- you can pick up the new Star Trek for only $20 in Blu-Ray locally at the big W stores.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jeffc52053
      • Apr 2009

Thanks Jon,

The calibration disc sounds like a great idea. I live in central New York and can get 6 HD over-the-air channels. three are 720p and three are 1080i and the pictures are incredible. I thought it was the Sony B/R player that I boughht 18 months ago so I bought the TV and a Samsung B/R player in March when our Circuit City was going out of business (got half off on both)
      Both players tell me that the res is 1080p, but so far I don't see any difference with the B/R format over SDDVD.
      The B/R does SOUND good
      This is what I've got:
      Samsung 61" DLP rear Projection
      Samsung B/R
      Sony B/R
      Yamaha 7.1 ch receiver
      2-10" JBL subs Driven by a 240WPC amp
      Mains and Satelites are home made W/Morel Tweeters and Audax Midbase (6.5")
      Center is a MTM W/Morel and Audax

Comment

• whoaru99
        • Jul 2004

Are you getting disks of "true" HD content, or just your old favorites that are probably nothing more than upconverted SD content?

Have you tried something like Planet Earth?
        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• jeffc52053
          • Apr 2009

You hit the nail on the head with that one, cwhoareu99. I bought the new Star Trek yesterday and it's incredible. I think now when I buy movies I'm gonna do B/R only on new (2006) titles. All else will be SDDVD.
          Thanks for the help all!

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

There are a lot of catalogue titles that looks fantastic on BluRay as well. Generally I'm pretty disappointed with the quality of transfer on most Blu Ray titles compared to HD DVD. IMO, HD DVD is still superior to BluRay, in terms of price and quality. That's why I still have a lot of HD DVD titles that I kept.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"