X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vicp7
    • Nov 2009

What would you pick?

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of building a new home theater. The room will be about 15W x 19L and my wife wants the speakers in the wall. I need some advice before going crazy in equipment. my budget is around 20k....so here is what i have come up with so far:

Scenerio 1

Speakers - Klipsch Qty 7 or 9 depending on 7.1 ot 11.2 of the KL6502
    Subwoofer - Klipsch Qty 2 of the KW120
    Amplifier - Klipsch KA1000
    Receiver - Yamaha RX-Z11, Denon 5308CI or Pioneer Elite SC27
    Projector - Epson 8500UB
    Blu Ray - OPPO BDP-83
    Line Filter - Furman
    Remote - Universal MX-5000

Scenerio 2

Speakers - R500 Radia
    Receiver - Anthem D2v
    Projector - Sony VPLVW-85
    Blu Ray - OPPO BDP-83
    Line Filter - Furman
    Remote - Universal MX-5000

I would love to have any feedback on things i should get or scratch off...i appreciate all help given...

Thanks
    Vic
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Well if you're handy at all building your own sub would be a much much better option and could get better performance for the same if not quite a bit less money. In scenario 2 you aren't planning any subs or anything?

The new Epson Projectors should be out anytime now (if they aren't already) so I'd recommend going for one of those, although if you are looking to purchase soon are buying old stock because it's cheaper the 8500ub is definitely very nice.

If you are in fact Handy I'd recommend doing some of the in wall design speakers and building the subs. The NatP in walls can be built for ~400 ish a pair I think and are excellent for HT. This is the route I'll eventually go with my dedicated theater but I'll be doing a 12.4 setup. I've not heard the R500's, or the Klipsch in walls you are referring to. I did own a pair of RF-62's at one point and had a chance to compare them to the NatP's before I built my own DIY speakers and the NatP's definitely had a slight edge in the bottom end as well as midrange detail.

Sorry for pushing DIY It's just a few really nice things and since you are doing in-walls anyways the bulk of the work is going to be building the crossovers which those crossovers aren't all that bad.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Another option might be a perforated projector screen with "normal" speakers for the front three channels anyway and wall units for just the surrounds...?

DIY sub (or at least something from SVS/HSU is another good recommendation.

I've never been a huge Klipsch fan but their higher end units are nice. Klipsch to tend to lean towards the bright side as do Yamaha receivers as well, so caution there. Make sure you listen to them TOGETHER before you commit.

Look at the JVC projector's as well.

For the receiver maybe try Emotiva for closer to Anthem level quality at something closer to Yamaha prices. Sort of a happy medium.

Also I'll throw a vote out for APC for line conditioning/surge protection.
      Jason

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

So your budget is 20k for the gear? Everything? Ok that fine I'll throw out a few to modify your system.

Projector check out Sony and Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi makes some crazy good cheap projectors. I would not believe it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. Sony is the one all should be judged by on there price levels. Excellent.
        Receiver I like the Pioneer ELite sc-27 good choice. If you can swing it go with the Sc-09tx.
        Line Filters are always a good thing. Furman / Panamax has been doing it a very long time and you can't go wrong there. APC also makes excellent units for a little less. Check them out as well.
        Don't forget to spec correct wiring. Make sure all wiring is CL3 thats going inside the walls. Liberty among many others make fantastic in wall wiring.
        Speakers are a personal choice. Klipsch makes killer in wall speakers with killer theater dynamics. If you like em , get them.
        Running 2 subs is much better then just one. better coverage. less room problems.
        Blu Ray is fine Oppo is my favorite current Blu ray player
        The Universal Mx5000 is very nice but I don't like it doesn't have a hard keypad. Either does the mx6000 but it's a biger screen. Both remots have to be programmed by a custom Installer. if you are going that way , it's a plus.
        Also check out Control 4. This allows you to get into better control the Universal and allows you to expand your system greater then MX can. I love Universal and all of there products. Very solid very good but Depending on your future plans Control 4 may be the way.
        Add lighting control into your budget. Nothing cooler then control the lighting in your room. Both control 4 and Universal do a excellent job at this. Universal now has RF lighting in a modified spacer system. Nice.

Good luck with your system. It sounds like the making of a great one.

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

A few humble recommendations:

-Projector: Panasonic AE4000 (Excellent bang for the buck)
          -Speakers: DefTech MYTHOS
          -Projector Screen: Stewart Firehawk
          -Receiver: Denon AVR-4810CI 9.3 Channel Receiver (I've been partial to Denon receivers as of late)
          -Remote: More of a personal choice: Logitech Harmony remotes (web-based programming), I got tired of programming my remotes, but with web-based programming it somewhat limits your flexibility. Logitech remotes also made it easier for the family.

I definitely agree that Yamaha receivers and Klipsch speakers are a bit on the bright side.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I can easily suggest just about anything Emotiva has as well. The UMC-1 will be out this month and should be excellent coupled with one of their amps.

Comment

• vicp7
              • Nov 2009

Dougie,

In the 2nd scenerio, i am going to put in a sub....just not sure which one. I thought the Epson 8500UB isn't out yet as it is the latest projector from them...maybe i'm wrong. In all honesty...I'm not good enough to build suns and speakers...so that is not an option i have.

Comment

• vicp7
                • Nov 2009

Aud19,

I looked at the Emotiva line and it has great pricing...but i'm looking for THX 2 certified and i didn't see their recevier have that...plus i want something that will be able to expand int he future as i don't feel i will be changing my system for at least 5 years....

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Why do you need THX 2 certified? It's just a certification and doesn't really say "this product is awesome" somewhat of a gimmick today unless you will use their DSP effects. I kind of lost faith in THX certification when they started certifying cables and wire and all sorts of other crazy stuff.

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dougie085
                    Why do you need THX 2 certified? It's just a certification and doesn't really say "this product is awesome" somewhat of a gimmick today unless you will use their DSP effects. I kind of lost faith in THX certification when they started certifying cables and wire and all sorts of other crazy stuff.
                    Well, I like THX for it's post processing. Is it a must have for most? No. However, for those like me that already own THX speakers, the sounds is very satisfying.

As for Emotiva, I too have been considering a processor from them. As I am currently using an LPA-1 which I'm very pleased with. But, the lack of THX post-processing has prevented me doing so to date.

vicp7,

It's important to get what will make you happy... period. That maybe a system with THX, or it may not. Only you can make that call. As to the rest of your plan, I think most of your plan is solid. Like a few others have mentioned, you could probably do a little better in the choice of sub/s.
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Well most of Emotiva's stuff would easily pass THX certification but it adds extra costs and makes the product cost more which kind of goes against their business plan. So you're just missing the DSP effects and what not really. But either way it is whatever makes the user happy.

As for subs some of the SVS subs are very nice, Emotiva has a dual 12" setup (in separate boxes) with a pro style amp that has some very nice features like auto room correction amongst other things coming out. I believe the price is going to be $999 but not really sure when it will come out. AV123 has a pretty nice sub as well. The MFW-15 I've heard is quite nice and looks like they have some B-Stock units right now at 400 bucks which is an incredible price!

I've heard the SVS PB-Ultra and Plus series and they are both fantastic subs.

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Like others have mentioned unless you plan on using the THX post processing all you're really getting is an expensive logo as long as you're buying decent gear (which Emotiva certainly seems to be). But do what's right for you. And if you go the seperates route you'll actually make it easier to expand/upgrade in the future as opposed to a receiver. Otherwise if we're throwing out receiver brands, I like Onkyo or Rotel for a bit more high end choice.

I'd also probably lean towards one of the Logitech remotes as well.
                        Jason

Comment

• maseline_98
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by John Holmes
                          Well, I like THX for it's post processing. Is it a must have for most? No. However, for those like me that already own THX speakers, the sounds is very satisfying.

As for Emotiva, I too have been considering a processor from them. As I am currently using an LPA-1 which I'm very pleased with. But, the lack of THX post-processing has prevented me doing so to date.

vicp7,

It's important to get what will make you happy... period. That maybe a system with THX, or it may not. Only you can make that call. As to the rest of your plan, I think most of your plan is solid. Like a few others have mentioned, you could probably do a little better in the choice of sub/s.
                          Supposedly, the emotiva xmc-1 will have a thx ultra II certification, but who knows when it will be out(not until at least june 2010 :roll: )...we've all waited so long for the umc-1 already...

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                          Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Well the XMC-1 design is supposed to be based off the UMC-1 for the most part with extra features and what not. So shouldn't take too terribly long to produce.

Comment

• John Holmes
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by maseline_98
                              Supposedly, the emotiva xmc-1 will have a thx ultra II certification, but who knows when it will be out(not until at least june 2010 :roll: )...we've all waited so long for the umc-1 already...
                              Well, like Dougie085 stated earlier, THX certification isn't part of Emotiva's business model. So, I'd be beyond shocked to see it in the XMC-1. But I can hope! :W

Also, I'm not going to go back and forth about the amount a product goes up by having the THX logo on it. Like anything else on the market, some will see it's value, others will not. I do believe Emotiva makes nice products regardless. And at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

I am curious to know where vicp7 is in his decision!
                              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• dyazdani
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Oct 2005

Of course, there are also units you like that just happen to have the logo on it anyway. My Classe has the THX logo, but I would have bought it regardless.

I like the Anthem stuff, but I haven't honestly looked at them for a few years. My parents have a Pioneer Elite unit in their living room and it does well enough with B&W 7 series speakers.
                                Danish

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"