X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrd
    • Dec 2003

Which Blu-Ray Player Fits the Bill?

Already have a Rotel RCD-1072 to play CDs, so I don't care how well the BR player does audio--don't know of any BR players that'll beat the Rotel.
    At this point, I just want to watch the movie; don't care about most of the 2.0 features, downloadable content, etc...
    I DO care about my existing SD DVD library--it's very important that the player not only do Blu-Ray well, but that it does an excellent job upscaling/upconverting SD DVD's.
    Trying to keep it under about $600.
    The Oppo? Denon 2010ci? Something else?
    Appreciate any comments you guys can offer.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I think the Oppo BD-83 is probably the best of the bunch right now in both SD playback as well as features for the blu-ray side of things.

Comment

• farazakan
      • Sep 2009

Sony player are also pretty good. For blue-ray player i also recommend ps3 but it don`t have composite out.....

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Pioneer Elite you should look at. Very good solid player at a good price. The Oppo is also nice as down the road you can play sacd and dvd audio. I heard it's a good upconverting dvd player as well.

Comment

• Ken49r
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by jrd
          I DO care about my existing SD DVD library--it's very important that the player not only do Blu-Ray well, but that it does an excellent job upscaling/upconverting SD DVD's.

The Oppo?
          Definitely OPPO!

Comment

• JDH
            • Sep 2004

Go the OPPO for features and overall quality, or Panasonic DB-60 for price but still decent SD - DVD upscaling via HDMI.

JDH.

Originally posted by jrd
            Already have a Rotel RCD-1072 to play CDs, so I don't care how well the BR player does audio--don't know of any BR players that'll beat the Rotel.
            At this point, I just want to watch the movie; don't care about most of the 2.0 features, downloadable content, etc...
            Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

If I were buying today and had that budget, I would get the Oppo straight away and begin enjoying the system.

Comment

• JustinGN
                • May 2009

I've heard nothing but praise for the Oppo, especially when dealing with upconverting SD content from your DVD Collection; next to HQV processors, Anchor Bay is the best of the best.

Comment

• kevinp.
                  • Apr 2008

Easy - Oppo

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

When my Panny BD35 gives up the ghost, Oppo is number one on my list.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

I also highly recommend the OPPO BDP-83, unless you need a PS3.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• pbarach
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jrd
                        Save yourself $200+ and check out the Pioneer BDP-320. Its video quality with Blu-Rays and upsampled DVDs has been highly praised by every reviewer (and by me--it's the one I bought). It also offers 7.1 analog outputs with bass management if you don't have an HDMI-capable receiver. The only downside is that it takes a while to load and play a DVD or Blu-Ray. Compared to the Oppo, it also doesn't play SACD or DVD-A, but that isn't what you are interested in.

I'm not knocking the Oppo, just saying it's a little overkill for what this person has in mind. The Pioneer Elite models don't offer better video quality than this non-Elite Pioneer model.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"