X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

CDs through bluray player

I don't often do it, but I through my new Joss Stone CD into my bluray player(BD-55K) and gave it a listen. In my opinion, it sounded like crap. What's the deal with that? I don't often listen to much music in my living room and couldn't understand why it sounded so bad. I through it into my 360 and it seemed to sound much better. I wasn't sure why this would be. My dvd concerts sound fine though it and my blurays sound great. Why would the player make my CDs sound like so much crap. The sound was very muddy and the midrange seemed very distorted.

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Nov 2009

Just a suggestion as this happened to me - check to see if you have any specific sound modes set up on your UMC-1 for the Blu-Ray input only. I had mine set up with Dolby-V set to 'mid' when I was watching a movie pretty late at night.

I'm not certain exactly what it's designed to do, but it sounds like it evens out the loud and quiet parts so there isn't quite the dynamic that you would normally have - nice for movies with explosions at night.

In any case, I had forgotten to shut it off when the movie was over. I popped a CD in the next morning and it sounded pretty 'dead'. Clearly something wrong with Metal (but not unlistenable) but Jazz was considerably worse. Took me a few minutes of tinkering with settings before I discovered my mistake.

Maybe not the same thing you have going on, but it's something to start with...
    - Danny

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by maseline_98
      I don't often do it, but I through my new Joss Stone CD into my bluray player(BD-55K) and gave it a listen. In my opinion, it sounded like crap. What's the deal with that? I don't often listen to much music in my living room and couldn't understand why it sounded so bad. I through it into my 360 and it seemed to sound much better. I wasn't sure why this would be. My dvd concerts sound fine though it and my blurays sound great. Why would the player make my CDs sound like so much crap. The sound was very muddy and the midrange seemed very distorted.
      My Oppo BDP-83 sounds great
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• technodanvan
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by wettou
        My Oppo BDP-83 sounds great
        I should note, that is mine as well. Through a UMC-1 and XPA-2, if that helps...
        - Danny

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Blu ray players are not optimized for cd analog playback unless otherwise specified....(ie Oppo 83 SE)
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

I have been waiting for someone to give Maseline 98 a brief explanation to his question, at least in regards to the difference between a cd player and a DVD player. Since no one has I will take a shot at it.

While CDs and DVDs look similar they are really different animals, as are their playback requirements. The focus requirements for the laser that is used in both is very different. Plus, a DVD requires different software than a CD.

Therefore, a CD player only needs the laser that is needed for two channel music playback. And, it doesn't need multiple software programs and DACs like a DVD player.

From the beginning of DVD players manufacturers decided to include a second laser optimized for CDs for marketing purposes. But, the music CD was not the focus of the player. It stands to reason that a CD player is going to sound better than a DVD player of equivilant cost because it will have a more expensive DAC.

Now that DVD players have supplanted CD players you can buy more expensive universal players that are optimized for music playback as well as movie playback. But at the lower price points a stand alone CD player will sound better than a DVD player. At least, that has been my experience.

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Well said Bob......The only part I think is incorrect is the 2nd laser needed for CD playback statement. I believe the laser that reads dvd's is the same laser that reads cd's. It's a laser with a tighter beam that is needed for dvd's but it can easily read the larger cd pits. However, you are absolutely correct that dvd players are not optimized for analog audio.

For a great sounding BD player optimized for analog audio under $1K, I would seriously recommend the soon to be released Oppo BDP-95

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by madmac
                For a great sounding BD player optimized for analog audio under $1K, I would seriously recommend the soon to be released Oppo BDP-95
                Because you've heard it?
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                  • Oct 2009

I am a new convert to the school of better source components.

While I still believe that the heart of any audio experience is rooted in the speakers after purchasing some better source components I have been really surprised.

Like some of us here on HTG I am a frugal guy. Money is a zero sum game and my thoughts used to lie with more amplification and better speakers as my main focus I have discovered(most of you out there are already there on this one) that after you have good speakers and amplification to match them source components make even more difference than before.

I am a recent convert to vynil and am enjoying that much more than digital stuff. That being said I got an Oppo BDP-93 for Christmas as have been shocked at how much better it sounds than my previous Samsung BDP-1500 bluray player both for movies and music.

HUGE difference.

Even though the Oppo was a bit of a stretch based on what I usually put out for a source component I could not be happier. Highly recommend going with one of them if you want to get more out of your system.
                  "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
                  -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Bob
                    • Jul 2000

Madmac,
                    You are probably right about the second laser. That may be a out dated way of doing it. I got the info from the Home Theater mag. website and don't know the date of the article. Here is the sentence that I was using as a reference:

CDs have different focusing requirements than DVDs, so, in order for a DVD player to play CDs they need one of two things: A laser that has the ability change its focusing accurately based on DVD or CD detection or, more commonly, a DVD player will have two lasers, one for reading DVDs and one for reading CDs. This is often referred to a Twin-Laser Assembly as is usually listed in the spec sheet for DVD players that have them.

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

@mjb.....I have not heard the BDP-95 because it's not out yet. I have not even heard the 83SE for that matter but based on what I've heard on this forum about the Oppo 83SE, It's a great player in regards to analog DAC performance. It uses state of the art DAC's when using the analog out's for both 5.1 and 2 channel performance.

Comment

• technodanvan
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by madmac
                        Blu ray players are not optimized for cd analog playback unless otherwise specified....(ie Oppo 83 SE)
                        To be fair, none of that would explain why his CDs sound better through an Xbox, of all things. The BDP-83 'standard' isn't exactly trash.
                        - Danny

Comment

• madmac
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2010

The BDP-83 is far from trash!. It's one of the best Blu ray players out there!. It's just not optimized for analog out performance is all. The 83SE is optimized for analog audio and has upgraded DAC's. However, I'm sure the 83 produces decent sound as well. I'm going to get a chance soon to audition the BDP-95 coming out soon. I'll let everyone know what I think of it's performance then.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"