X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trebormints
    • Oct 2009

from a pre amp Rotel 1098 to what ?

Hello

I have a rotel 1098 pre amp which I must admit I love mainly because of the TFT screen in it which is SO useful, but also as it accepts full 5 cahnnel anaglog for my SACDs but now with most of my components having HDMI outputs (sat. blueray) I am having thoughts about either adding a separate HDMI switch or changing the Rotel

I would be grateful for any ideas, what switch if any, or what pre amp to replace the Rotel 1098, I know that the Rotel in the States has / had a HDMI board add on, but here in France or England I don't think that this is possible)

I am now more home theatre than HiFi, I already have a HD projo and blue ray and soon a HD TV

many thanks for any suggestions
    Rotel Processeur 1098
    Power amp Sony TA-N9000ES
    Speakers ASA Moniter pro
    Sub Woofer GKF
    Denon DVD-2900
    Thorens vinyle TD 295 MK IV
    Blu-Ray Panasonic DMP BD 35
    Projo Panasonic PT-AE2000E
  • bnieman
    • Jun 2006

I had to make the same decision with my RSP-1068... I auditioned a Marantz AV-8003 and sound quality was the same as my Rotel. It was definitely not worth $2,000+ to get HDMI integrated.

Also keep in mind preamp/processors lose their value faster than anything else.

I suggest keeping the RSP-1098 and getting an HDMI switcher. That's what I did, I started with a basic one and just recently upgraded to a 4x2 matrix switch that feeds all my components in the basement to my living room while simultaneously feeding the home theater in the basement. Monoprice.com makes great, inexpensive switches.

Just make sure your Blu-Ray can output the new lossless HD sound codecs via analog to your multi-inputs on your 1098. I use a Oppo BDP-83. It Plays Blu-Ray, SACD, and DVD-Audio.

Cheers!
    Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Hello,

I currently own the Rotel 1098 with the upgraded to the HDMI circuit board, however the HDMI is video only and is not compliant with the newer HDMI versions.

You may want considering upgrading, depending on your budget, and selling or trading the RSP 1098 to a good AV receiver, since you are more of an HT enthusiast. Just my quick thoughts.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• bnieman
        • Jun 2006

You will get more features with a new AV receiver, you will have better sound with separates. Depends on what is more important to you. Good luck!
        Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

I went from a 1098 to a 1570, but I dearly miss the TFT. As you say thats also important to you, my advise would be to wait and see what the 1580 is all about in Jan/Feb, or look to another manufacturer. In the mean time, you can use a cheap HDMI switch for video, and the 1098 for audio (but not HD formats).
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"