Matching Yamaha RX vs. Rotel Pre/Pro to Polk Speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trunkmonkey
    • Jun 2010

Matching Yamaha RX vs. Rotel Pre/Pro to Polk Speakers?

I need advice, and I was impressed with the knowledge base on these forums, so...

I am trying to put it all together. I have: Polk Monitor 70's (x2), Polk CS2, Paradigm Mini MkII (x2, for surrounds), and Boston A60 Series II (x2, for surrounds), in a 7.1 configuration (all are 8 ohms).

I'm trying to decide between a mid-level used Yamaha receiver, say a RX-V757, and a used Rotel pre/pro system (RMB 1075 (5ch) or RB 985 (5ch) amp, and RSP 1066 processor).

I don't care about HDMI, I'm happy to do that separately, but I prefer to have optical and at least some decoding (DTS/DD) for playing the PS3. So for me, tech within the last 10 years is fine, since I primarily listen to music and care more about quality.

Is getting a used Rotel system worth it? Or is it so far above and beyond my speaker system that I won't notice the difference? Any advice is appreciated.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Given the choice , I would go with the Rotel. Get the best stuff you can afford. If you're worried about out-classing your speakers , perhaps you should put the majority of your investment into replacing the Polks? I don't recall hearing that model , but there are some deals out there on used speakers if you look. Speakers are where I put my biggest single-item cash outlay , and I'm still happy with my modest setup.

And welcome to HTGuide! :T
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Trunkmonkey
      • Jun 2010

Alaric: Thanks for the reply and advice! I went ahead and picked up a used RSP 1066. Now just to get the amplifier...

Oh, and I'm pretty happy with my Polks for now, they may not be Paradigm, but they sound quite nice. Here's the specs: http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/s...tor70/?print=1

I don't suppose you have any thoughts on the following amplifiers? So far, I'm considering:

Rotel RMB-1075, RB-985 or Parasound HCA-806, HCA-855A, or possibly an Anthem PVA5.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

I went from Yamaha to Rotel. Definitely loved the difference in sound quality. All though I will say I was impressed with how close Yamaha was to the Rotel. The musicality and smoothness of the Rotel Separates though made a very nice difference in deed.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• june
          • Feb 2005

pewterta

+1 i went from yamaha to rotel also. but i have a yamaha in the closet just in case. i use paradigms with a rsp-1068 (main room) & energy with a rsp-1066 (bedroom). both with a 1075 amp.
          June
          "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• jbreezy5
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Trunkmonkey
            I don't suppose you have any thoughts on the following amplifiers? So far, I'm considering:

Rotel RMB-1075, RB-985 or Parasound HCA-806, HCA-855A, or possibly an Anthem PVA5.
            My vote would be for the Rotel RMB-1075 over the rest. It's newer than the RB-985. I feel Anthem gear sounds rather clinical. The Parasound gear may be ok, but would still prefer the Rotel. Your amp would then match your pre/pro also.

-JBreezy-

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"