X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scarpi
    • Jul 2008

cleaning crts of older rptv

Hi all. I have a Mitsubishi 65" widescreen diamond rptv that I bought in 2001. It works great and the picture is fantastic with hd sources even though it only does 1080i. My questions is this, I have never cleaned the crt lenses and mirror and I would like to do this since it has about eight years of dust in it. The tv would be very difficult to move due to all the gear and stuff around it and the shear size of the thing. Is there a way to remove the front of the tv to get at the crts and mirror so I don't have to move the tv to clean it? I appreciate any info....thanks! ;x(
  • exojam
    • Dec 2006

I have a Mits WS-65813 and you can remove the front screen to reach everything. You should see if you can find the service manual for your specific model to see exactly how to do it.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Pretty much pull the front lower cover off. Unscrew all the screws that are right under the screen (They might even have arrow's pointing to them). You may have to unplug the wiring going to the switch panel if the switch panel goes with the screen.

Once that's off, lift the screen straight up. I would suggest compressed air to get most of the dust off, then a new lint-free micro-fiber cloth to clean the mirror and lens. If you use any cleaner, use cleaner designed for eye-glasses.

Kevin D.

Comment

• scarpi
        • Jul 2008

Thanks for the info. My model number is WS65907. I will see if I can get a service manual.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Probably won't need it. Mitsu made it pretty easy to take apart. Hell, it's probably in the regular manual as the TV's were designed for the customer to split in half to aid in moving it up stairs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• scarpi
            • Jul 2008

Yes Kevin, the user manual does have the instructions on how to remove the upper half of the tv from the bottom half and I guess that will allow me to clean the crts and mirror. I think as I get older, my mind is not seeing the simple things as good as it used to (62 now). Thanks for the input. I'm assuming the mirror would be in back of the upper half and the crts in the bottom half of the tv. Of course the upper half probably weighs about 100lbs and you need two people to remove it from the top. And I guess I can use window cleaning solution without ammonia to clean both. Thanks again!

Comment

• exojam
              • Dec 2006

On mine you would need to remove the speaker grills in the front (again though I have a different model, but should be pretty close). Then there should be some screws to hold in the main screen. Remove those and then you should be able to remove the main screen section.

Do you still have the plastic screen cover over your main screen display? If so, you may need to remove that.

Comment

• scarpi
                • Jul 2008

Yeah I still have the plastic screen over the tv screen. I sure would like to remove that to clean it on the inside. It looks like it has some smears on the inside from day one that I would like to clean off. How do you remove the plastic screen? I think I'm afraid of breaking something.

Comment

• exojam
                  • Dec 2006

1. Gently insert a small plastic card (such as a credit card or a plastic putty knfe) between the DiamondShield™ and one end of the clip to pry
                  the clip loose.-------In the manual it shows that they are doing this in the top and bottom, left and right hand corners.

2. Remove both clips by pulling them toward you.

3. Carefully insert the small plastic card (or plastic putty knife) into the gap at the side/center point of the Shield and pull the Shield slightly away
                  from the unit. Place your hands at the points shown ** (they show a hand in the top middle and left middle of the screen) and gently bow the Shield toward you and remove from the unit.

2. DiamondShield™ Installation Procedure

To install the DiamondShieldTM, reverse the above Removal Procedure.

James

Comment

• scarpi
                    • Jul 2008

Much appreciated James and Kevin! :T

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"