X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Diy Rptv

While I have a nice FP setup, find myself wanting something more out of my regular TV, and don't want to spend another $3K on it, so I was noodling around with making an RP setup in the wall inset I have.

In looking for Pjs that have really wide angle zoom at low $$, found the epson TW10+.

It's not high rez at 854X480, but it IS 1200 lumens in bright mode, has an acceptable contrast ratio at 800:1, can get up to 3000 hours of lamps life, and best of all, lamps are as low as $150 for this puppy.

Did a layout of this thing, and calculated I can get a 41" wide (47" diagonal) image in a 2' depth x40" tall x 41" wide (at the front, narrows to 27" wide at the back). For a screen I was planning to use a type of plex material we frequently use to do things like this at work. It is frosted a rather dark grey on one side which means it would work very well in normal daytime ambient light conditions, since at this image size I get about 150 ft-lamberts. Cost for a piece this size would be dozens of dollars. Easily washed clean when dirty, cheap to replace if scratched.

Other materials would be a 4" square first surface mirror, and a rather larger normal 1/4" glass bathroom type mirror, also pretty cheap.

Nice thing about this is it would look great with DVD, since it is a 1:1 for DVD resolution, can show hidef although it will not do it real justice, and is basically just a monitor, so doesn't have all the associated crap like tuner and speakers that I don't need in my application.

This PJ allegedly has a good quality Pixelworks scaler, but the deinterlacing is flawed, so it needs to be fed a progressive signal. Since I am shortly getting a scaler and will feed it out of a second output, not an issue for me.

Anyway, if anyone else is interested in this, question away. Some other nice aspects of doing this - it can be used as an RPTV during the day, but it would be relatively easy to remove the PJ and use it on a large wall at night. Also, this allows for a 12" deep x 10" high space between the PJ and screen for a center channel speaker (PJ sits above the screen in my plan).

BB
    Attached Files
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Gees, that's going to be some project .... :wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Actually, not really. I have a 52" wide x 24" deep x 8' tall alcove in the wall. The bottom half is taken up by rolling unit I built which has a center channel speaker and woofer, and some drawers and cabinets for storage, and this will make good use of the top. So all I have to do is make a shelf for the PJ, carefully make mounts for the mirrors on the existing walls, then make a front façade with the screen. Could probably be done in a day except for the finish/trim work.

We do similar rigs at work all the time. Although there it is really easy. I hand a napkin sketch to on of our CAD designers, he produces a drawing package, it gets bid out for production and I go install it somewhere.

Making the case for that balanced power unit you tempted me into is taking a lot more time. Especially as my arms don't reach the 6000 miles to work on it right now.

Otsukari sama deshta.

BB

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"