X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BW4me
    • Nov 2005

Pioneer BDP -51 or BDP 05

I'm looking at these two players at local ultimate store for $199 or $399.

Just wondering if there's any good reason to justify going with the more expensive 05 player? Sales rep said it had better video processor.

I'll run component to 720p projector so I don't think that will make a difference and my 40" LCD is 1080p and 60Hz.

I'm hoping to use as universal player for CD, upscaling DVDs, and maybe some BD. I like the fact the there is dedicated analog out for CDs as well as multi channel analog out which will work for my AVR.

Any thoughts about the two units?

Steve
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

The biggest benefit of the 05 is the better video DAC which will be useful with your projector via component. HDMI to the LCD there will be no difference.
    Other than the video DAC and the touch sensitive controls, they are mostly the same player.

Comment

• CraigJ
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by BW4me
      I'm looking at these two players at local ultimate store for $199 or $399.Steve
      Steve,

I don't know if you're located in the states, but Best Buy has been clearing out the BDP-51 for $150.

Craig

Comment

• BW4me
        • Nov 2005

Thanks Craig. I am, but the stores by me in the Phoenix area said they're out. The store I found the 51 and 05 at is Ultimate Electronics.

Just not sure if it worth getting the 05 as then I'm close to the oppo BDP83 price.

Comment

• CraigJ
          • Feb 2006

Steve,

If it helps, All BBs in my area were also out, but I was able to have one delivered from another store in "our" region, to my local store. Good luck, and AVSForum has approx. 760+ pages on the 51 8O

Craig

Comment

• BW4me
            • Nov 2005

Thanks, I'll look into it. I've been trying to read through post at avsforum, but as I'm learning terms it get confusing a bit. I'm starting to think it might not be worth the extra $ for the 05.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Being the extremely happy owner of an -05 all I can accurately say is that it puts out a stunningly beautiful picture and also that I've not had a single playback glitch with any CD, DVD or Blu-Ray disc I've played through it. It doesn't have ridiculously long load times although a Java-heavy Blu-Ray will take longer than any DVD. I've not A-B'd it with a -51 other than in the showroom where the -05 seemed to output a bit better picture but that could have been the result of any number of variables.

The only negative is one of omission and that's the ability to play SACD, but that wasn't what I bought this unit for anyway.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• BW4me
                • Nov 2005

Thanks David. Do you happen to know about the 05's component output video capability? My DLP projector is 1024x768 native resolution, which I'm assuming means it could project 720p image if received. Over at avs form I was told the 51 only outputs 480i through component. If this is true, but the 05 outputs higher through component that would be a deal breaker for me.

Also, if familiar with analog multi channel output, can you tell me if the 05 has full control over speaker setup? From the manual it looks like the 51 an 05 allow for size selection and output level, but not distance if I'm understanding it right.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"