X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

A new DAC in the house

It’s an Oppo BDP-95 to be precise, which includes the highly regarded SABRE32 Reference ES9018 DAC from ESS Technology. The BDP-95 uses two ES9018 chips – one for the 7.1-channel output, and another for the dedicated stereo output.

I bought the BDP-95 because I want to get into the hi-res audio provided on Blu-ray concert discs. I’m a 2-channel stereo enthusiast with a passion for music DVDs so I needed a Blu-ray player with a good stereo audio section. My 1999 vintage LFD DAC3 pre-dates the availability of hi-res audio, so buying a less expensive Blu-ray player and using the LFD external DAC was not an option.

I’ve spent the past week watching a variety of standard definition music DVDs, comparing the Oppo’s sound with that of the LFD. My wife has been out of town so it’s been a music festival at my house. Initially I was disappointed with the Oppo’s DAC. If the LFD could be described as warm and luscious the Oppo could be described as detailed and precise. These are extreme descriptions and the reality is that they both sound very nice, just different to each other. As the week wore on I found myself listening to both of them in equal measure.

A noticeable difference between the two DACs is the perception of where I’m sitting in the theatre. With the LFD I’m sitting in row 3 whereas with the Oppo I’m sitting in row 15.

The DTS decoder in the BDP-95 is much better than the Oppo OPDV971H I’ve been using up until now. That’s good news because the DTS track on many music DVDs is the highest resolution one provided. Overall the DAC/audio section in the BDP-95 is far superior to the 971. When friends have questioned me in the past about the advantages of higher end audio I used to demonstrate by toggling between the 971’s DAC and the LFD. The difference was always instantly noticeable.

I own only one Blu-ray disc at present so I can’t really comment on the performance of the BDP-95 with Blu-ray discs. My one Blu-ray title is the Cream – “Royal Albert Hall - London May 2-3-5-6 2005” concert, which I know very well having watched the DVD often. It was noticeable that the SQ and PQ were both a step up from the DVD (I listened to the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track).

As an alternative to the BDP-95 I did consider other options. Initially I was interested in the Classé CP-800 stereo preamp, which has a very highly regarded DAC and would have replaced my Rotel RC-1082 preamp too. Initial reports suggested that the CP-800 would provide an HDMI input but this never eventuated so the CP-800 was not an option for me. The CP-800 is also four times the price of the BDP-95.

I also considered the NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC which JonMarsh has been discussing and reviewing in another thread here. With its HDMI input it looked very promising, particularly as it can also act as a pre-amp and would have allowed me to phase out my RC-1082. However the absence of a volume knob and tone controls reduced its appeal to me (the Classé CP-800 has tone controls).

Also, the NAD M51 only decodes the mandatory two-channel LPCM soundtrack on Blu-ray discs and I want the option of downmixing the multi-channel audio tracks on Blu-ray discs. For example, my one Cream Blu-ray disc provides the following audio tracks:
    • LPCM 2.0 (48 kHz / 1536 kbps / 16-bit)
    • Dolby Digital Audio 5.1 (48 kHz / 448 kbps / 16-bit)
    • DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48 kHz / 2905 kbps / 16-bit)
    The M51 would only have been able to decode the LPCM track, which would have been no improvement on the DVD.

My new BDP-95 cost me US$1,580 here in New Zealand, which is quite a lot more than in the US. Note that it’s the more expensive ‘Hardware Modified’ version that is DVD Region Free and Blu-Ray Zone Free. The LFD DAC3 used to sell for about US$5,000 in England back in 1999. Interestingly I occasionally receive unsolicited offers for it over the Internet, presumably arising from posts in forums like this one.

It’s early days with the new Oppo but my current thinking is that there is a place for both DACs in my life. It really depends on the music being played. I get a choice. It’s equivalent to being able to select the best audio track on a music DVD. Often LPCM is the best but sometimes it’s Dolby Digital and sometimes it’s DTS.

The Oppo BDP-95 is well built, functional and upscales DVDs very well, which is important because I own about 600 music DVDs. However my experience of the BDP-95 to-date does remind me that old pieces of equipment like my LFD DAC3 also have their place in the world. Being old certainly doesn’t mean being redundant (as I approach my 58th birthday this is more relevant than ever!).

For those of you interested in specs I have attached the only information I have on the LFD DAC3.

Nigel.
    Attached Files
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

Welcome to the Oppo family Nigel. :T

We don't have the BDP-95, but the older BDP-83 Special Edition, with Nuforce Mod. It also has the same ESS Sabre32 DAC. The highly rated Weiss DAC 202 also uses that chip.

I agree with your take on the Oppo. It gives lots of detail, but very musical and I've never found the sound fatiguing, on decent recordings. We've also never had a $5000 DAC to compare it to, although we do have a Sony SCD1 SACD player which was $5000 about the same vintage as your old DAC. I haven't listened to it in some time but as I recall in the few direct comparisons I did with CDs it was slightly less detailed and maybe bit more forgiving. The differences were more noticeable on SACD playback where the Oppo did quite a bit better, as I recall.

Like you say, you've got both and don't have to choose one.

Of course, the real advantage with having the Oppo is with Bluray and SACD playback. One DVD I know you're familiar with, Jeff Beck's "Live at Ronnie Scott's" is just outstanding on bluray, and about as good as it gets sound wise. Picture is great too.

Nice to read your comments, and I think you'll be very happy with your purchase.

John
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bigburner
      It’s an Oppo BDP-95 to be precise, which includes the highly regarded SABRE32 Reference ES9018 DAC from ESS Technology. The BDP-95 uses two ES9018 chips – one for the 7.1-channel output, and another for the dedicated stereo output.

I bought the BDP-95 because I want to get into the hi-res audio provided on Blu-ray concert discs. I’m a 2-channel stereo enthusiast with a passion for music DVDs so I needed a Blu-ray player with a good stereo audio section. My 1999 vintage LFD DAC3 pre-dates the availability of hi-res audio, so buying a less expensive Blu-ray player and using the LFD external DAC was not an option.

I’ve spent the past week watching a variety of standard definition music DVDs, comparing the Oppo’s sound with that of the LFD. My wife has been out of town so it’s been a music festival at my house. Initially I was disappointed with the Oppo’s DAC. If the LFD could be described as warm and luscious the Oppo could be described as detailed and precise. These are extreme descriptions and the reality is that they both sound very nice, just different to each other. As the week wore on I found myself listening to both of them in equal measure.

A noticeable difference between the two DACs is the perception of where I’m sitting in the theatre. With the LFD I’m sitting in row 3 whereas with the Oppo I’m sitting in row 15.

The DTS decoder in the BDP-95 is much better than the Oppo OPDV971H I’ve been using up until now. That’s good news because the DTS track on many music DVDs is the highest resolution one provided. Overall the DAC/audio section in the BDP-95 is far superior to the 971. When friends have questioned me in the past about the advantages of higher end audio I used to demonstrate by toggling between the 971’s DAC and the LFD. The difference was always instantly noticeable.

I own only one Blu-ray disc at present so I can’t really comment on the performance of the BDP-95 with Blu-ray discs. My one Blu-ray title is the Cream – “Royal Albert Hall - London May 2-3-5-6 2005” concert, which I know very well having watched the DVD often. It was noticeable that the SQ and PQ were both a step up from the DVD (I listened to the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track).

As an alternative to the BDP-95 I did consider other options. Initially I was interested in the Classé CP-800 stereo preamp, which has a very highly regarded DAC and would have replaced my Rotel RC-1082 preamp too. Initial reports suggested that the CP-800 would provide an HDMI input but this never eventuated so the CP-800 was not an option for me. The CP-800 is also four times the price of the BDP-95.

I also considered the NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC which JonMarsh has been discussing and reviewing in another thread here. With its HDMI input it looked very promising, particularly as it can also act as a pre-amp and would have allowed me to phase out my RC-1082. However the absence of a volume knob and tone controls reduced its appeal to me (the Classé CP-800 has tone controls).

Also, the NAD M51 only decodes the mandatory two-channel LPCM soundtrack on Blu-ray discs and I want the option of downmixing the multi-channel audio tracks on Blu-ray discs. For example, my one Cream Blu-ray disc provides the following audio tracks:
      • LPCM 2.0 (48 kHz / 1536 kbps / 16-bit)
      • Dolby Digital Audio 5.1 (48 kHz / 448 kbps / 16-bit)
      • DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48 kHz / 2905 kbps / 16-bit)
      The M51 would only have been able to decode the LPCM track, which would have been no improvement on the DVD.

My new BDP-95 cost me US$1,580 here in New Zealand, which is quite a lot more than in the US. Note that it’s the more expensive ‘Hardware Modified’ version that is DVD Region Free and Blu-Ray Zone Free. The LFD DAC3 used to sell for about US$5,000 in England back in 1999. Interestingly I occasionally receive unsolicited offers for it over the Internet, presumably arising from posts in forums like this one.

It’s early days with the new Oppo but my current thinking is that there is a place for both DACs in my life. It really depends on the music being played. I get a choice. It’s equivalent to being able to select the best audio track on a music DVD. Often LPCM is the best but sometimes it’s Dolby Digital and sometimes it’s DTS.

The Oppo BDP-95 is well built, functional and upscales DVDs very well, which is important because I own about 600 music DVDs. However my experience of the BDP-95 to-date does remind me that old pieces of equipment like my LFD DAC3 also have their place in the world. Being old certainly doesn’t mean being redundant (as I approach my 58th birthday this is more relevant than ever!).

For those of you interested in specs I have attached the only information I have on the LFD DAC3.

Nigel.

I had a chance to review the BDP-95 myself and your take on it's audio reproduction is spot on :T . My Marantz dedicated CD player puts me right in the front of the stage (especially vocally) and the Oppo put me about 15 rows back (That's somewhat of a deal breaker for me because I'm big into vocal jazz). Your also right about the detail being nice and since I gave it back to it's owner, that's really the only thing I miss and think about in regards to the unit sound wise. Make sure however that you hit that special HI-REZ button on the remote when listening to CD's....I forget what it's called but it basically turns off a lot of the redundant video and multichannel processes and is claimed to produce better audio 2 ch reproduction. I noticed quite a big improvement when selecting this when listening to CD's.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

Originally posted by madmac
        HI-REZ button on the remote when listening to CD's....I forget what it's called but it basically turns off a lot of the redundant video
        On ours it called "pure audio." I forget to use that too, and I've found it makes a difference.

Our speakers tend to sound up front, so the Oppo is probably a good match in our case ... although in Kal's review the BDP 95 is somewhat more laid back than our Oppo. Maybe because of different op-amps at the output ... just a guess.
        John unk:

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

Very nice review. I also like that the 95 now includes balanced stereo outputs.

On the bluray concert note- I highly recommend the Chris Botti Live in Boston disc. It's my music reference disc by far. Both the stereo and trueHD tracks are amazing.

Also I recently picked up the Adele Live at Royal Albert Hall disc and it's great as well.
          -Chuck

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by impala454

On the bluray concert note- I highly recommend the Chris Botti Live in Boston disc. It's my music reference disc by far. Both the stereo and trueHD tracks are amazing.

Also I recently picked up the Adele Live at Royal Albert Hall disc and it's great as well.

Rats!! My copy of Chris Botti cracked on me (Must have dropped it on the floor on one point) and now it won't play!! RATS !! My favorite BD !! :x

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Johnloudb
              On ours it called "pure audio." I forget to use that too, and I've found it makes a difference.

Our speakers tend to sound up front, so the Oppo is probably a good match in our case ... although in Kal's review the BDP 95 is somewhat more laid back than our Oppo. Maybe because of different op-amps at the output ... just a guess.
              I agree absolutely !! Certain systems, amps and speakers could work very well with the Oppo 95. Also, like your first impressions of the Oppo as laid back, I find we over the years get very used to the sound of our systems and can initially have a bad reaction to a new presentation of sound. This impression can easily become a preferred sound once given a chance. I only had my Oppo loaner for a week or so, so I really didn't give it a proper chance or break in for that matter!.

Let it be said though that although there have been advancements in players and DAC conversion, for my Marantz CD67SE circa 1998 to compete (In my opinion of course!!) with something like the Oppo 95 says a lot about the limitations as to how good players can get really!! h:

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by impala454

I was also going to mention the Chris Botti.. It is one of my favorites...

Also at the top of my list is Roy Orbison and Friends "A black and white concert".. That is perhaps the best I have heard...
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

I asked this in another thread, but you guys that are using the lossless 7.1 audio (I think it's DTA-MA) on the Chris Botti disc, is anybody getting distortion or such in the right rear surround channel? I get it with that disc.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Johnloudb
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2007

Radiohead makes a left speaker buzz in a bedroom system, but no other speakers. Just that one disc so far .... weird.
                    John unk:

Comment

• Johnloudb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2007

I find we over the years get very used to the sound of our systems and can initially have a bad reaction to a new presentation of sound. This impression can easily become a preferred sound once given a chance.
                      I agree!
                      John unk:

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Make sure however that you hit that special HI-REZ button on the remote when listening to CD's....I forget what it's called but it basically turns off a lot of the redundant video and multichannel processes and is claimed to produce better audio 2 ch reproduction. I noticed quite a big improvement when selecting this when listening to CD's.
                        Hi madmac,

As Johnloudb mentioned it's called 'Pure Audio'.

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

although in Kal's review the BDP 95 is somewhat more laid back than our Oppo.
                          Hi John,

Would you please give me a link to this review. I'm probably tired but I can't find it either in stereophile.com or this forum, unless you are referring to the thread entitled "Oppo BDP-95 or BDP-93 + External DAC".

Nigel.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2007

I haven't found Stereophile's search engine to work too well, if that what you used. Found it using google.

I also stumbled upon this thread. Thought Kal might enjoy the first post.

A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.
                            John unk:

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

I haven't found Stereophile's search engine to work too well, if that what you used. Found it using google.

Thanks John. It's an interesting review that confirms my observations. You're right about Stereophile's search engine.

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2005

I also stumbled upon this thread. Thought Kal might enjoy the first post.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/74205/74230
                                Goodness me. Don't some of us get emotional about our hobby! Good first post though.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"