X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MuShu007
    • Jun 2002

Audissey EQ

How many of you consider this a deciding factor when buying a Pre/pro or receiver? Inquiring minds would like to know...
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

While I was in the market for a new receiver, I viewed as Audissey as something that would be cool to have and try out.
    After owning a receiver that has Audissey, I would say that it's nice, but not an absolute must if you know how to calibrate your own system.
    Or perhaps... if you have a very 'complicated' room, then yes, Audissey would be a high priority. If you have a pretty simple layout (regular even-sized walls, 1-2 sofas in regular positions, no really weird obstructions, easy to work with, etc), then I would say not to worry so much about it.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I think Audyssey is a good, useful, thing, but it's not a deal-breaker in my book. I'll take a high quality pre/pro without Audyssey anyday over one that has Audyssey but does not have the audio clarity.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• alebonau
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by MuShu007
        How many of you consider this a deciding factor when buying a Pre/pro or receiver? Inquiring minds would like to know...
        I have the denon avp and yep having lived with the benefit audyssey especialy dynamic eq and dynamic vol brings for quite a while now for movies and TV. would not buy an av pre without it

so yeah definitely a deciding factor for me.

where I think the benefit for audyssey is pretty hard to pass up is in your average room such as mine. not heavily treated just naturally treated with furnishings and with common compromises and is just where audyssey really comes into its own :T

am also aware of quite a few installers who even with a room treated to perfection will use audyssey to get the very best out of it...as the "icing on the cake "

Pretty easy in my system to experience the benefit audyssey brings. just the matter of turning it off and back on again, difference is not subtle and why would feel pretty robbed without it
        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by audioqueso
          After owning a receiver that has Audissey, I would say that it's nice, but not an absolute must if you know how to calibrate your own system.
          Knowing how to do something is only one part of the solution. Having the tools is another and without Audyssey most AVRs lack the necessary EQ facilities.

Or perhaps... if you have a very 'complicated' room, then yes, Audissey would be a high priority. If you have a pretty simple layout (regular even-sized walls, 1-2 sofas in regular positions, no really weird obstructions, easy to work with, etc), then I would say not to worry so much about it.
          Simplistic. All domestic rooms have serious modal issues regardless of their furnishings.

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Audyssey is more than just auto-calibration and tuning. It also uses psychoacoustics to "widen the sweet spot" for multiple listening locations. Useful in any room, potentially, some more than others.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

I use the Audessey processing in my Denon AVR-3808ci, and having used it, would probably not buy a processor/receiver without it. As was mentioned earlier, I can simply turn it on and off to compare the resulting improvements. In my room, it makes a huge difference.
              Brad

Comment

• MuShu007
                • Jun 2002

Thanks for the replies :T I was just checking out their site, Awesome stuff!

Comment

• sn7
                  • Aug 2009

If you are not confident that you can set up the speakers well - then it is a huge plus. It was very useful to me

Comment

• kgveteran
                    • Oct 2005

I was talked into a Denon 3808ci by two audio friend. I dumped my Outlaw 990 in the process. The Denon was to be used as a processor only since I had only a pre/pro before and outboard amps.

Not only is the Denon a great processor , but the Audyssey processing is fantastic. I checked the output of all the speakers once Audyssey was done processing, and using Truerta they all had the same response.

My subs have an F3 around 10hz or a smidge lower and they sound great. I'd like to get the firmware update for DymanicEQ, so when i lower the volume to the usual -10db MV, the response stays the same.

I know you are looking for a processor, but concider a receiver as a processor. Dollars to doughnuts it'll out perfeorm a pre/pro.... IMHO at that price range.

KG

Oh, ya .... I wouldn't have a pre/pro...receiver without it
                    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"