X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sindhu
    • Feb 2005

Denon AVR4306 & DVD 3910

Need some help in hooking up the two using HDMI. Have tried but no luck.
    Here's what I have tried,
    DVD player to TV using HDMI is OK.
    AVR to TV using HDMI is OK (DVD to AVR using component)
    HDMI from Laptop to AVR with HDMI from AVR to TV is OK (So the AVR outputs HDMI if if receives HDMI input and the TV plays it - as it should)
    HDMI from DVD to AVR with HDMI from AVR to TV - NO LUCK.
    Seems that the 3910 is the rouge here or there may be a HDMI version mismatch between the AVR and DVD. Can some one throw some light on this? This will save me the clutter of wires if it works. Still will have the EXT IN to play SACD etc.

Sindhu
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Denon HDMI outputs have traditionally been very weak, including the 3910. If the AVR doesn't have power boosting in it, there may be just too much cabling and switching for the signal to power through from that unit.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Wow.. I never heard that about Denon. That sucks!
      However, he said it works from PC--via HDMI-->AVR--via HDMI-->TV. Is that correct Sindhu?

First, have you tried the same HDMI input connection (the one that worked with the laptop) with the DVD player? I'm asking you this because according to the manual, you can have the HDMI ports turned off. So I'm just wondering if you tested on a different HDMI input port that was turned off.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Sindhu
        • Feb 2005

Yup. I tried the same ports, same wire. I use QED and I think they are Ver 1.3.

Now, the 3910 model is about 5 years in the market.So I got hold of an older HDMI (Sony) cable and tried the configuration. No Dice.

Did a Google and found that there a whole bunch of pissed off 3910 owners having similar issues. Apparently there is update available for the HDMI port on the 3910 (factory / factory outlets only -- so big bucks and one hr labor). Recommendation is to get the DLink upgraded to version 3 as well.

Chris is right.

Regards

Sid

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I only know because I used to own a 3910. Great player, all in all. When I first got a long cable to run to my overhead front projector, it would drop signal with 3910 a lot, while other components worked fine. Returned it and got a better quality cable, and it worked fine.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Sindhu
            • Feb 2005

Closing this Thread

Had the Firmware upgraded as well as the Denon Link to Ver 3 at the Dealers. They were keen (read no charge!) as I picked up a pair of Electra Be 1000 SR surrounds to go with the rest of my components. :P

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"