X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

One more upgrade than planned

As a "family Xmas present", the living room 2003 Sony Trinitron 32" SDTV (weighing in at 200lbs) was replaced by a 43" 4K LG 43UM7300 (weighing in at 20lbs). It's an entry-level TV, nothing spectacular about it but it well-rated for gaming (so my 14-year-old son is happy), it works very well in a well-lit room (so my wife is happy) and it has very good wide-angle viewing (a must in our living room--but what it makes it great for that purpose, an IPS panel, is what makes it mediocre for a dedicated cinema room like my basement). That much was planned. As was the Harmony 665 universal remote for my wife (who, until now, refused to turn on the two-channel rig in the living room to listen to the music channels via our cable provider because "I don't want to deal with all the remotes and the switching things"). My intent was to force the use of the two-channel rig for all TV watching going forward, so the universal remote was a must.

For two days, everything was plugged in via a Frankenstein-like mixture of a 2019 TV, a 2019 4K Apple TV (another living room Xmas present), a 2009 Samsung Blu-ray player (to be replaced by a 4K player in a while), a Cisco Explorer PVR, (all via HDMI), a Toshiba HD DVD A3 (via component)--all to the TV, with an optical digital output to my venerable 2003 Integra DTR 6.4 (no HDMI) AVR acting as a pre-amp for an Emotiva A-100 single analogue input integrated two-channel amp (as the amp section died in the DTR 6.4 back in 2017). As I said, a mess--but one the Harmony remote could navigate.

However, the DTR 6.4 digital inputs (tried them all) could not properly coordinate with the TV's optical output (tried every setting). Kept having audio dropouts every few minutes. My wife said she didn't care (they lasted a second at a time) and...she really, really didn't care. (See preferring the Sony TV speakers to the PSB Imagine Bs for music noted above--also her "can't we just use the TV speakers" plea). I, of course, could not put up with all that nonsense. Thankfully, in Canada, we have Boxing Day (now really Boxing Week)--a roughly analogous markdown event to Black Friday in the US. Did a quick search, found a 45% off sale on Denon receivers at a local chain (Quebec-only version of a Best Buy, but 90% focused on A/V gear). While I was tempted to go with something more upscale, unplanned spending usually persuades me to get what I "need" (well...insofar as I "need" to avoid TV speaker sound ). Grabbed an AVR-S650H. My living room is never going to be more than two-channel (might some day try to sneak in a centre channel speaker and, possibly, a sub), so no need for anything beyond 5.1 capability. This fits what we "need". Even has Audyssey MultiEQ (not top of the line, but good enough for any eventual sub addition). Now, rather than 38 different cables, everything is hooked up via HDMI. No more audio dropouts. Has a bunch of features I'll never use (what AVR doesn't?) but a few I might explore (Internet radio built-in, for example). Haven't run Audyssey yet, but eager to try. I've had Denon receivers before (stereo back in the 90s, and my first AVR in 2001--it's still running in my nephew's apartment), so I'm not worried about reliability issues.

Was a bit unusual for me to get something this quick (I usually research A/V purchases for months, not hours), but it is nice to see the living room join the 21st century (even if it's two decades late). Will post back when I've discovered more about the limits and capabilities of this entry-level AVR.
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Paul,

Congratulations - That’s really cool!

Glad you were able to get some good deals while bringing your living room into the 21st century! We’re fortunate as HiFi and HT aficionados to have technology available today at relatively affordable prices that would have been unattainable 20 years ago (even if it existed) without a big-jackpot-winning lottery ticket.

Even the “budget level” LG 4k TVs are a major step up from the best Sony Trinitrons from around the turn of this century, and it’s incredibly satisfying how many advanced, high performance features are packed into other attainable components these days. To be able to keep the rest of the family happy while making the upgrades is another favorable outcome.

And I’m with you on your focus on two channel. Despite the buzz about eleventy-seven channels coming from every direction including the ceiling and jackhammering the floor or kicking us in the butt as we sit in our chairs, it still makes sense to go with the best quality sound we can reasonably afford for the front left and right stereo channels. Best “bang for buck” return on investment! Then add some more later when it makes sense with other competing priorities.

The time and effort you put into this hobby over the years (and, perhaps, access to so much more information via the internet these days) paid off with being able to reach buying decisions much more quickly this time around. Looking forward to hearing more as you learn more about your new receiver!

Burke
    Last edited by Burke Strickland; 05 January 2020, 18:49 Sunday. Reason: correct typos

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Well, maybe the deal was too good. Have to send it back as no sound comes from it. I spent a good number of hours trying every possible thing and, in the end, nada. I can access setup menus and it still has some ability to interact with gear, but no sound from any input and no picture from any source (already eliminated the cables and the TV, as all sources work with TV directly with my batch of HDMI cables). It's under warranty, so it won't cost me money--but it will (and already has) cost me time. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Will report again when it's fixed/replaced.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Paul,

Thinking back years ago to when I had a Denon, I recall a couple of “features” who’s impact wasn’t well documented and just wonder if current models might share these design “gotchas”.

First, the “mute” button on the remote was way too easy to hit by accident and gave no obvious sign that it was engaged. Fortunately pressing it again got the sound going again.

More insidious was the “direct” or “pure” mode that shut off digital sound inputs and all video so that two channel analog music would come through, well, “direct” and “pure”. If your receiver has that feature and all your connections are HDMI, then if it’s engaged, you’d get no sound or picture even though the unit acknowledges connections. Of course with just about everything going digital these days that kind of analog “bypass” may no longer be included.

You’ve probably already checked out anything like that but I figured these were worth mentioning “just in case”... anyway, I wish you the best in resolving the frustrating issues with your new unit.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
          Paul,

Thinking back years ago to when I had a Denon, I recall a couple of “features” who’s impact wasn’t well documented and just wonder if current models might share these design “gotchas”.

First, the “mute” button on the remote was way too easy to hit by accident and gave no obvious sign that it was engaged. Fortunately pressing it again got the sound going again.

More insidious was the “direct” or “pure” mode that shut off digital sound inputs and all video so that two channel analog music would come through, well, “direct” and “pure”. If your receiver has that feature and all your connections are HDMI, then if it’s engaged, you’d get no sound or picture even though the unit acknowledges connections. Of course with just about everything going digital these days that kind of analog “bypass” may no longer be included.

You’ve probably already checked out anything like that but I figured these were worth mentioning “just in case”... anyway, I wish you the best in resolving the frustrating issues with your new unit.
          That was true (especially the "mute") on my previous Denon AVR-1600 (model year 2000). My nephew (who has it now) occasionally complains about that. The new (2019) Denon remotes have solved that issue (and it's clear on the display screen of the AVR as well). While a number of Denon AVRs do have "Direct" and "Pure" (just like my old Integra DTR 6.4), the entry level model I bought lacks that feature (it only has two analogue input hookups and they are digitized). I appreciate the suggestions (I've certainly lost valuable time on similar issues over the years) but, in this case, it's a bigger problem than that. Haven't had time to box it up and go back to the store (maybe on the weekend). Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I have experienced feature fault on a few things myself. Sorry to hear that Ovation. I hAVE a TiVo 500 buck comcast DVR that the HDMI went out on it in 2 months. I transferred the lifetime menu subscription, you know, what all the other TV companies give you included? They would fix the unit, but charge me 200.00 for another menu system. Thinking back, I should have made them fix it without the menu system. I could have possibly still used it for Amazon Prime, OTA, etc... But you know, I didn't think of that. TiVo is dead to me. I bought one of the first original TiVo's in the country way back when when it was just normal pixel count, what 380? maybe it was 480, but I don't think so. So much for customer loyalty, right, it's sitting in the great room now as a giant paperweight. I may back my SUV over it some day, just so I can say as in Independence day the movie "UPPPPPPP YOURRRRRS!!!"
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Been so busy, the thing is still sitting in the living room awaiting a return to the store. At this rate, the snow will be gone (and with 3 feet in my yard, it'll be a while) before I get a working model. Oh well. Not like I have much time to use it anyway (and my wife is totally fine with the TV speakers, so no pressure coming from there). Still sucks.

On the other hand, scored a pair of HifiMan HE-4XX from Massdrop for 130$ (originally 170$, IIRC and well below the nearly 300$ for the non-Massdrop version) last week. Nice contrast with my Sennheisers (somewhat livelier top end--a different overall tone). Very good price for planar magnetic (mostly wanted to experiment with the different tech from the dynamic drivers in all my other headphones). Bit power hungry but works very well with my Schiit stack (Magni 2 Uber/Modi 2 Uber). Don't have a lot of time for TV/movies but I do have lots of time for music in my workspace. (should probably post this in a headphone thread as well)

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

The AVR is finally back from a COVID delayed trip to the repair shop. They had to swap out the main digital board (good thing it was under warranty--that's the most expensive piece in the AVR and while it's roughly 15-25% of the cost of a flagship AVR, it's about 70% of the cost of mine). Now, call me a cynic, but I won't truly celebrate until the thing runs for more than two weeks (about how long the original lasted before things went wobbly).

Oh and I was right about the snow being gone before I had a working AVR again. :lol:

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"